Awoo.

"Silver" Mecha Sonic (S2 Death Egg Zone) has propulsion rockets on its arms

Darth InVaders

Yea, it's a goofy topic, but I was not sure where else to put it, and it is a tidbit of info that does not seem to be something well known.

The title says it: the "Silver Sonic" version of Mecha Sonic from Genesis Sonic 2 Death Egg Zone has its horizontal rocket propulsion built into its arms (not counting the dramatic float down vertical rockets in its feet)...

Silversonic.png

The rockets are in the large blocks in its forearms, on the part nearest the elbow. Mecha must hold its forearms like Classic Sonic's signature running animation, so they are parallel to the ground, and the forearm rockets race it forward on the wheels on its heels.

The unnamed robot "Sonic" in the Sonic Adventure Mystic Ruins base led me to realize this. This unnamed robot is obviously based on Sonic 2 Mecha Sonic and I was trying to figure out what those odd cone-like objects with blue interiors on its forearms are...

Mechasonicqz2.jpg

...then realized, based on its previous version's dash attack pose, that they are the exhausts for its rockets. Further backing up this theory is the fact that there are only spikes and no other rocket exhaust in the unnamed robot's back (like how Metal Sonic has it jet engine exhaust in its back).

Unfortunately, it is true that this entire theory rests on the similarities between 2 different robots - where one appears to be obviously based on the other. But if my theory is not true, then the placement of the original Mecha Sonic's exhaust would have to be its buttocks, based on the placement of the flame.

On a side note, it is a little ironic that this is the reverse of the Game Gear Sonic 2 Scrambled Egg Silver Sonic version, which has its horizontal propulsion in its feet and its vertical propulsion in its arms...

1Silver_Sonic.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 2
  • Nice Smile 2

I never really paid much attention to Silver Sonic (is that even the mech's name for certain?) but you've certainly proven that you have an eye for detail. you learn something new everyday. 

That also means that the comic books didn't pay much attention themselves:

latest?cb=20090416095838latest?cb=201511032114573040355-silver+sonic004.jpg

I guess that likely proves that Silver Sonic and the robot in the Mystic Ruins base are the same?

Thanks

I used "Silver Sonic" in quotes when referring to the Mecha Sonic from the Death Egg Zone (Sonic 2 for Genesis) because there appears to be no official source calling it "Silver Sonic", so only fans call it that and I just used it to be clear what I was talking about (as the Mecha Sonic in Sky Sanctuary from Sonic & Knuckles is only called Mecha Sonic)

However there is an official source calling the Scrambled Egg Zone (Sonic 2 for Game Gear) version Silver Sonic

I think the Sonic News Network wiki does a pretty good job on referencing the official sources in this situation http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Mecha_Sonic

And my God, what is growing out of the forearms of the second image you posted (where the rocket exhausts I'm talking about should be)?

On 8/9/2017 at 11:49 PM, Darth InVaders said:

I used "Silver Sonic" in quotes when referring to the Mecha Sonic from the Death Egg Zone (Sonic 2 for Genesis) because there appears to be no official source calling it "Silver Sonic", so only fans call it that and I just used it to be clear what I was talking about (as the Mecha Sonic in Sky Sanctuary from Sonic & Knuckles is only called Mecha Sonic)

I know Lego Dimensions refers as him as "Robo Sonic," though that's more to differentiate him from the other two Metal Sonics in that boss marathon so it's probably not official.