Awoo.

Jak & Daxter Movie Supposedly in Development? (And by the people who brought you Ratchet?)

Ryannumber1gamer

5ccb298bc5ac406722e03beff8cfe30c.jpg

"MOVIE RIGHTS?!"

So, apparently news has come out about the Sly Cooper movie and it's future, and with it came the confirmation that Jak fans probably wanted back in 2015 but are now facepalming because of who is making it. Supposedly, Rainmaker Entertainment, who made the Ratchet and Clank movie back in 2015 (and for the record, was lowly received thanks to the original script by the writer of the Ratchet titles being butchered and flanderised into something more "marketable" by another writer. Rainmaker is one of those companies that for me personally, seems to have a reputation of just low-quality animated films that screams generic. When I originally saw the Ratchet movie, I was a long time fan of the series, like I was a fan for at least ten years. I got a lot more of the jokes and such so I liked it alright, but it was nowhere near the brilliant writing and quality of the games, and Ratchet's friendship with Clank really got hit hard by it. 

Then came Sly's teaser trailer...which revealed a voice actor change for Sly which IMO is nowhere near as good as his original VA, and really polarising redesigns for the characters which honestly didn't look nice at all IMO. With Ratchet's failure, having performed extremely low under Sony's expectations (Although probably wasn't the smartest plan to release it literally the same day as Captain America Civil War), it was assumed Sly with lack of news was all but dead in the water. Until news and rumours began this year that the movie could potentially still be on and on top of that, a TV series.

And now we've got news that Rainmaker have begun development (As in ideas and such, not production) for a Jak movie. This, in of itself is shocking, considering that Ratchet was the one character out of the original three PS2 platforming heroes that had the most attention, so it seemed incredibly unlikely Sly or Jak would even get the chance, and yet it's still supposedly happening. 

And I'll just say it, Jak & Daxter are one of my all-time favourite series of all time. Jak 1 and Jak 3 especially are both some of my favourite games of all time. It's a lore and universe that I think is just great, with a likeable set of characters and a duo friendship that's just as funny and good as Ratchet and Clank's. The way that Jak's personality in 2/3 bounces off Daxter's egotistical and cowardly ways are great and the two IMO are just really believable as friends who have gone through so many adventures that they'd stick together no matter what.

...Which leads me to this. If Ratchet and Clank ended up getting a reboot that pretty much screwed over the pre-established lore, screwed up the character development of the leads, and on top of that, went ahead and for lack of a better word, altered a script and story from the actual writer of the games themselves so it'd be flanderized and pandering to little kids, then what hope does Jak have here to actually come out with a decent film that represents the cool world and atmosphere of the games? Daxter could end up altered from his wise-cracking cowardise to just a comic relief spouting toliet humour. Jak could be changed from the gruff hero he was to just a dream seeking hero like Ratchet was.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if this is true, and if this movie becomes a reality, then I am extremely worried about how it'll turn out, especially as a long time fan of Jak & Daxter.

tenor.gif

I'm just gonna hop on the "no hope" train for this Jak movie. The series is one of my all time favorites and seeing Rainmaker's previous output with the Ratchet movie last year is not a good sign in my eyes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

The ratchet movie would have been good with a better none rushed no middle movie filler plot honestly

In other words...keeping the original script writer who actually worked on the games' plot? 

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

In other words...keeping the original script writer who actually worked on the games' plot? 

Hmmmm yes

26 minutes ago, TCB said:

24 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Hmmmm yes

I actually made a status about this a while ago: https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=865782&type=status

It really is quite baffling that they decided to strip the story down to something more generic and "marketable", because they already had a fundamentally solid story that could have helped to make the movie stick out. Maybe some abridging and composite characters and plot points would be needed, but it's still better than literally stripping your product down into something that completely misses the appeal of your IP in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very iffy on this. I think Jak and Daxter can work perfectly as a movie or an animated series if done right. I always loved the world setting, plot, design and characters. There's alot of stuff you can do with a series like Jak and Daxter. On the other hand, it's made by the same guys who did the ratchet movie and I heard alot negativty about it. Plus, I have low expectations for sony's movie department. 

As for the sly cooper animated series and movie, again, it can work if done right. 

Eh, the R&C movie wasn't horrible, in my opinion. Could have been better, sure, but it was enjoyable to me.

I understand not a lot of people like it, so if the people behind it are making a Jak movie, I hope that they learned from their mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

Eh, the R&C movie wasn't horrible, in my opinion. Could have been better, sure, but it was enjoyable to me.

I understand not a lot of people like it, so if the people behind it are making a Jak movie, I hope that they learned from their mistakes.

I actually liked the Ratchet & Clank movie, it is an indie film after all, however it was better than The Nut Job, which was also an indie film. Also, if people were to look at the Rotten Tomato and Metacritic scores for the Ratchet & Clank movie vs. The Emoji Movie, a lot of people will then see that R&C was Not a bad movie as everyone says it is. Now fitting the Jak & Daxter trilogy into one movie, that would be a challenge or downright impossible, unless it is released alongside a new game or animated series. Sly 1 alone will be hard to make into a movie and it's the shortest game in the series, the only way I see the Sly movie working is if the Sly TV Show covers all 4 games and some other adventures in between and then the movie covers a brand new adventure (Sly 5 for example), while being accompanied by a new game.

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Exactly what I wanted a shitty movie and not a new game! Thanks guys

Tbf, I'd take a remake of Jak 1 on PS4, even if it meant getting a shitty movie with it. 

Seems in my honest opinion it is best to avoid getting yours hopes up at all and at least wait until reviews of the film come out, If it even does.  Think of it the same way Doug Walker (The Nostalgia Critic) thinks about Avatar: The Last Airbender compared to M'Night Shyamalan' The Last Airbender.  The series was already good to begin with, as a result people could just avoid the live-action film and just stick to the animated series.  The quality of the Jak and Daxter games (along with the Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank games) isn't going to change due to a film flop of a film this could be.