Awoo.

Chao Resort Island [Fangame]

Indigo Rush

So, how many of you have wished the Chao Garden mini game from Sonic Adventures 1 and 2 (and to a lesser extent, the Sonic Advance series) would return? I can't say for sure if I'm one of them, but if you're in the group, I think you may be interested in this fan project that seemingly came out of nowhere:

Chao Resort Island is initially an expansion on one of SAGE 2016's more impressive showcases, Sonic vs Darkness. That game is a fine example that the Boost mechanic still has merit in a 2D setup, but what we're focusing on is the Chao mini game here, and I have to say, I'm actually quite impressed.

It's not quite as robust as the Adventure games' gardens, but there's plenty of fun to be had if you're a fan of raising Chao. There's a few quality of life improvements that are much appreciated, such as a visible meter for a Chao's hunger, a quick menu to see their stats (you don't have to drag them to see the doctor!) and you can give them a name right off the bat once they hatch. Other neat features that weren't in the original Chao Gardens include a dynamic weather system and realtime season changes, similar to Animal Crossing. Also like Animal Crossing, the garden is laid out in that same rolling pin aesthetic, eliminating any potential camera or perspective issues. 

All stats are built by feeding your Chao special fruit you can buy from the store, and in addition to fruit, you can buy eggs, toys, and even hats and bowties to dress up your Chao! And since you're spending so much time raising your Chao's stats, there are indeed Chao Races to compete in. 

All in all, this is an adorable and rather impressive tech demo for a Chao fangame. Folks have been asking for it, so I'm happy to see someone working on such a project. If you're looking to kill time, or are waiting for something to do until Sonic Mania drops, give this a whirl. You might fall in love with raising Chao all over again.

Download Link [PC and Mac]: https://nefault1st.wordpress.com/downloads/chao-resort-island/

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

I actually downloaded this last night and I really like it. Still have two chao and I'm playing as Sonic for now. Really like that I can use my game controller to play it.  

Ahh, I see Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow are playable so far. ...I don't suppose the other playable Adventure characters (like Eggman) might be in the works?

Either way, looks like a really neat concept. Will keep my eye on its development.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Ahh, I see Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow are playable so far. ...I don't suppose the other playable Adventure characters (like Eggman) might be in the works?

Either way, looks like a really neat concept. Will keep my eye on its development.

That would be great if we can play as the other Adventure characters in a future update. A person can dream I guess lol.