Awoo.

Sonic Mania Reviews/Impressions Thread

Mark1

I mean it's a classic sonic game in style filled with nostalgia. The scores are not a at all hard surprise lol XD

• Thumbs Up 1

While by no means is App Triggers score bad, the actual criticism seems a off at times. Like I can maybe get one might not be a fan of the special stages, but blue spheres controlled fine back in the day. Also, his complaints about getting hit unfairly or tails and Knuckles not having their own special levels and the levels being built around sonic I found weird. This is a high speed platformer, of course you're gonna get hit first time around. It's not just a straight line. And tails and Knuckles are extensions of Sonic and thus don't need their own creative levels really.

will agree about having a Switch mechanic. That'd be cool

Nice to finally see a Sonic game not getting mauled, or dividing opinion so wildly.  Too bad that may change with Forces :P 

And by the way, uh, what was that about Sonic "Never being great" IGN?

From what I've watched of an entire play through. It's pandering. Pure fan service. Some good moments. But still unadulterated, fan service. Sonic 3 & Knuckles safely remains king.

It's basically. "Hey, remember all these good things about Sonic? Now that we have your attention. Here's Forces. Go buy it."

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Right... that's why all the top reviews so far specifically mention level design. Music and... basically everything else that makes a great platforming game.

Nostalgia is a nice comfort but no way in hell would it give you and instant score high like we're seeing here.

Oh yes it will. I'm not saying I'm upset over the scores but it very well can. Saying it's not is just as silly. We have not had a true 2d sonic game since 1994. Of course old fans are wild and out. But give it 3 weeks vefore more forces news and people start  crying again over how they want more 2d instead of 3d. It's a wackyworkbenchworld XD

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Jim gave it a 9.5! His video will be back up soon 

That's great, but I didn't expect him to reveal one of the few zones I didn't know about (I only listened, rather than watched). Dang. Oh well, there's still plenty to discover.

47 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Right... that's why all the top reviews so far specifically mention level design. Music and... basically everything else that makes a great platforming game.

Nostalgia is a nice comfort but no way in hell would it give you and instant score high like we're seeing here.

and as we seen by the previews trashing Forces despite classic sonic and green hill

• Thumbs Up 4

34 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Oh yes it will. I'm not saying I'm upset over the scores but it very well can. Saying it's not is just as silly. We have not had a true 2d sonic game since 1994. Of course old fans are wild and out.

So does that mean if they make a Sonic Adventure Mania you would just praise that game nonstop?

If so then you are the same as the others.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, pppp said:

So does that mean if they make a Sonic Adventure Mania you would just praise that game nonstop?

If so then you are the same as the others.

Your comment confuses me. I like every sonic game made. I just hate characters in certain ones. Like lost worlds story was just ew. Besides that you can't lump me that easily lol

OP has been updated with reviews. Will update again shortly with links as it's not the simplest of tasks with a mobile phone.

Glowing reviews!

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Mark1 said:

OP has been updated with reviews. Will update again shortly with links as it's not the simplest of tasks with a mobile phone.

Glowing reviews!

Wow, I had no idea you were making a compilation on the OP (my fault for not reading I guess)

Great Job!

5 minutes ago, gato said:

Wow, I had no idea you were making a compilation on the OP (my fault for not reading I guess)

Great Job!

Cheers mate, NeoGAF deserves the majority of the credit for the reviews. They've done a superb job compiling them.

Seeing all these amazing reviews really makes this an amazing day to be a sonic fan. Let's just hope Forces keeps the momentum going.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, ad516 said:

That's a bit surprising and disappointing to be honest. I've seen plenty of good reviews and I myself won't have my opinion of the game effected because of a few "so-so" ones but I say surprising because I've watched the majority of Polygon's coverage of the game leading up to release and they seemed high on it, with one of their staffers saying it was their most anticipated game of 2017. I didn't expect them to give it a 10 but based on many of their previews, I got the impression they were big Sonic fans and really were looking forward to this game. It's just weird to read this review that basically says "yeah, it's okay but it's basically just another Sonic game" 

1 hour ago, Sonicfan287 said:

That's a bit surprising and disappointing to be honest. I've seen plenty of good reviews and I myself won't have my opinion of the game effected because of a few "so-so" ones but I say surprising because I've watched the majority of Polygon's coverage of the game leading up to release and they seemed high on it, with one of their staffers saying it was their most anticipated game of 2017. I didn't expect them to give it a 10 but based on many of their previews, I got the impression they were big Sonic fans and really were looking forward to this game. It's just weird to read this review that basically says "yeah, it's okay but it's basically just another Sonic game" 

I think because the person who did the previews was sacked from the team. He was very enthusiastic about the game.

It's great to see the series getting some well deserved praise.  Great job to Christian Whitehead and co!  You all deserve a lot of pats on the back...and free movie passes for the rest of your days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Derrick from GameXplain absolutely loved the game and seemed to have nothing, but praise for it and he along with Ash will be expanding on their review at Midnight PST.

I'm very happy to see that Sonic Mania is very well received by the vast majority of reviewers and reconciles with everything that I've seen with the game at this point. Sonic's movement is very fluid, the presentation of everything is absolutely stunning, music is superb, and many ambitious and bold moves were made in the game's level design. I am excited and I'm glad others feel that way as well.