Awoo.

PC version of Mania delayed till August 29th... #FuckDenuvo

Alienrun

So despite the delay. The PC version is not the definitive version? Good to know. May hold off on purchasing it.

So apparently you can use a Hyperkin by playing around with the controller settings in Big Picture Mode, but this caused a massive amount of input issues that took a lot of playing around with to fix. The Hyperkin wouldn't register left or right d-pad inputs, and then some time later the profile (which I thought I wiped) for the Hyperkin applied itself to my Xbox One controller.

Haven't had time to get very far into the game but in terms of softlocking and audio issues, I haven't encountered anything. The mapping of the super transformation to the Y button is a god send. It's not perfect, and honestly quite a bit frustrating, but when you get going and you're able to just play it, Mania continues to be great. Hopefully they iron some more of this stuff out, but for now the Switch version seems like the way to go.

Edit: Also I've gotten some hitching in special stages, which never happened on the Switch. Mania itself shouldn't be very resource intensive so idk what that's about. Rest of the game plays like butter, though.

18 minutes ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

You know, I feel we are not going to get another game made by Taxman and Stealth. 

Genuinely curious why you'd think that? I've not had much of a chance to see the developer's response to all this, but from what little I did catch, only Stealth's comment on Steam seemed confrontational. I would think, and hope, that SEGA values the positive reception Mania has largely received and values that more than the negatives. But, you know, it's SEGA.

So you're forced to be online to play the game? Can someone please confirm it so I can send my feedback to Sega?

I'm also asking for d-input support. I finally couldn't play with my Mega Drive controller through the mayflash adapter :( Had to get an Xbox 360 controller.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, molul said:

So you're forced to be online to play the game? Can someone please confirm it so I can send my feedback to Sega?

I'm also asking for d-input support. I finally couldn't play with my Mega Drive controller through the mayflash adapter :( Had to get an Xbox 360 controller.

Yes, you cannot open the game while offline. In a game whose only online support is leaderboards, that's a hell of a thing.

Native d-input would be amazing, and frankly it's surprising it's not in the game considering it was in CD.

It's important that Sega learns how to identify and kill the old Sega that's still lurking in their decisions. If they want consumers to take seriously the "Amazing Sega" campaign, initiatives like Sega Forever or projects like Sonic Mania, they not only have to do things very well, they also have to stop doing things wrong. Mania is an amazing piece of work, the best Sonic game for me since 1994. But delaying it for implementing a DRM that forces players to be connected in order to play has an impact on customer's perception. What a shame. Screw the suits, ffs.

9 hours ago, Azure P said:

So despite the delay. The PC version is not the definitive version? Good to know. May hold off on purchasing it.

The PC version is the best because its the PC version and you can use a keyboard! :P

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/902805590799474688

I'll be curious to see what "addressing it" entails.

Really a big fuss over something that they actively had to go out of their way and intentionally cause. There's no way it did or should've taken Aaron and the devs having a word for them to know how this was going to blow up as soon as it was spotted.

17 hours ago, KHCast said:

osh.gif

Well, this may not end well

Isn't calling out your boss like this a bad thing going forward in hopes of another game. God forbid I ever tell my boss. Um mind making it seem like I didn't mess up the spreadsheet. Granted fans are blaming them and it's not their fault Sega put this on the game

Good news.

Sega fixed the always online problem.

Bad news.

They deny DRM was the cause so that's probably not being removed.

13 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Good news.

Sega fixed the always online problem.

Bad news.

They deny DRM was the cause so that's probably not being removed.

Isn't drm always online?? What's difference?

I hear you can turn off the always-online with a simple hex edit, AND still be able to have the DRM on there.

I'm not too stressed about this whole thing, mostly because I was never planning on playing offline. That said, the game freezes for half a second just as some levels start, and wouldn't surprise me at all if DRM was the cause, which is really disappointing for what should be the definitive version of the game.

Plus, the underhandedness at play here really does not suit what was meant to be the best-received Sonic game in a very long time. It's at a price point that most would be more than happy to pay, you're spending money to actually implement the DRM, and tanking goodwill and user review scores in the process.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jim Sterling gives his opinions on the matter.

I tried to get a refund of the game, but I was refused because the game had been purchased for more than two weeks. I guess that's fair do's. I mean I haven't even played this version of the game at all, but reckoned I still could get refunded anyway.

Jim seems to imply that a lot of reason why people are having trouble refunding is because of their supposed goodwill of giving pre-ordered customers a free copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 1. Like gifting Sonic 1 scuppered people's chances of getting a refund on the day Mania came out?

Might be an entire Jimquisition if people don't get the refunds they wanted for not wanting Denuvo on their system.

24 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

Jim Sterling gives his opinions on the matter.

I tried to get a refund of the game, but I was refused because the game had been purchased for more than two weeks. I guess that's fair do's. I mean I haven't even played this version of the game at all, but reckoned I still could get refunded anyway.

Jim seems to imply that a lot of reason why people are having trouble refunding is because of their supposed goodwill of giving pre-ordered customers a free copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 1. Like gifting Sonic 1 scuppered people's chances of getting a refund on the day Mania came out?

Might be an entire Jimquisition if people don't get the refunds they wanted for not wanting Denuvo on their system.

Well, isn't the preorder Sonic 1 a Mania DLC even if it's the Sonic 1 that is already in Steam?

If so then that counts as having Mania. Which voids refunds. 

51 minutes ago, bmn said:

I'm not too stressed about this whole thing, mostly because I was never planning on playing offline. That said, the game freezes for half a second just as some levels start, and wouldn't surprise me at all if DRM was the cause, which is really disappointing for what should be the definitive version of the game.

Plus, the underhandedness at play here really does not suit what was meant to be the best-received Sonic game in a very long time. It's at a price point that most would be more than happy to pay, you're spending money to actually implement the DRM, and tanking goodwill and user review scores in the process.

The big irony is that their DRM move did only bring frustration and damage to the legit people who purchased the game, especially the Collector's Edition and pre-order for the two-week delay and the always-online mode (even more ironic if you consider how Mania has no online mode at all)... People who already decided to pirate the game will not purchase it just because the crack will take some days to be out, instead of hours.

Denuvo is already known for being controversial because it affects the game performance, forcing the SSD/hd to constantly check it's files and online connection, bringing a paradox: the cracked version of the game runs more smoothly than the original legit copy. In Mania it's a little annoyance because of the check-in between acts, causing a little freeze, but in heavier games, it gets worse.

• Thumbs Up 3

I voiced my skepticism bout theories given about the PC version for a game like this being delayed at the last minute for "optimization issues"; and while it may be true that some of the reviews did have the game running in a messy state, this bombshell vindicates my suspicions as far as I'm concerned. I said was either incompetence on the developers' behalf (which I myself not only shot down, but Taxman himself said he and his team had nothing to do with the decision) or incompetence by Sega; and lo and behold, it was meddling by the latter.

Speaking as someone who opened a Steam account specifically for Mania and pre-purchased the game months ago because the PC version was the only available option I could get the game / support the developers (I have neither a PS4, Switch or Xbox One)...for me, this whole charade comes off as a personal slap in the face. As unfair as it may be for other honest developers who don't engage in this tactics, the way this was handled makes me not want to ever get a game on Steam/PC again because this was an absolutely horrendous first impression.

It's a big shame too because outside of the DRM aspect....the actual game itself is fantastic. I've never been this enthusiastic about an official Sonic game in years. It's not only a great sequel to S3&K, it's easily in my personal top three Sonic games. So while I'm still happy to have bought for and paid the game at all as a means of supporting Taxman and his crew, I'm genuinely disgusted with whoever at Sega was responsible for doing this (as well as not giving it a retail release, but that's another topic) and I seriously hope they get repercussions for this move.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

50 minutes ago, Yeow said:

I voiced my skepticism bout theories given about the PC version for a game like this being delayed at the last minute for "optimization issues"; and while it may be true that some of the reviews did have the game running in a messy state, this bombshell vindicates my suspicions as far as I'm concerned. I said was either incompetence on the developers' behalf (which I myself not only shot down, but Taxman himself said he and his team had nothing to do with the decision) or incompetence by Sega; and lo and behold, it was meddling by the latter.

Speaking as someone who opened a Steam account specifically for Mania and pre-purchased the game months ago because the PC version was the only available option I could get the game / support the developers (I have neither a PS4, Switch or Xbox One)...for me, this whole charade comes off as a personal slap in the face. As unfair as it may be for other honest developers who don't engage in this tactics, the way this was handled makes me not want to ever get a game on Steam/PC again because this was an absolutely horrendous first impression.

It's a big shame too because outside of the DRM aspect....the actual game itself is fantastic. I've never been this enthusiastic about an official Sonic game in years. It's not only a great sequel to S3&K, it's easily in my personal top three Sonic games. So while I'm still happy to have bought for and paid the game at all as a means of supporting Taxman and his crew, I'm genuinely disgusted with whoever at Sega was responsible for doing this (as well as not giving it a retail release, but that's another topic) and I seriously hope they get repercussions for this move.

Why would they get repercussions? This was segas poor  and I'll admit it's a puss poor attempt to stop pirates from cracking the game which the pc is horridious for seriously 5here are people already saying they want to pirate it more now. Th e thing about pc games if a hacker wants to hack it there gonna hack it regardless. That's life. Consoles these days can not be messed with as easily without risk of having your system banned. So no one's going to lose a job over this but they are going to take hear for a good while just like rockstar trying to shut down the mod scene on gta5. Which I've yet to play. I feel i waited to late to try and jump in now :(

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Why would they get repercussions? This was segas poor  and I'll admit it's a puss poor attempt to stop pirates from cracking the game which the pc is horridious for seriously 5here are people already saying they want to pirate it more now. Consoles these days can not be messed with as easily without risk of having your system banned. So no one's going to lose a job over this but they are going to take hear for a good while just like rockstar trying to shut down the mod scene on gta5. Which I've yet to play. I feel i waited to late to try and jump in now :(

When I say repercussions I don't mean in the sense of people who decided to add Denuvo to the game getting fired, but I do mean in the sense that they face the consequences for the decisions they made. Whether it be being criticized to the point they make sure not to do it again in the future or be moved to a different position so they are unable to enforce similar unpopular distribution policies on later titles. Just something that ensures those who made this call are held responsible and help prevent actions like this from happening again in the future.

5 minutes ago, Yeow said:

When I say repercussions I don't mean in the sense of people who decided to add Denuvo to the game getting fired, but I do mean in the sense that they face the consequences for the decisions they made. Whether it be being criticized to the point they make sure not to do it again in the future or be moved to a different position so they are unable to enforce similar unpopular distribution policies on later titles. Just something that ensures those who made this call are held responsible and help prevent actions like this from happening again in the future.

This is Sega. They may take hear but learn lol thus is the company that destroyed themselves. That's why they only make games now. Sega in the 90s started strong but the mid 90s messed them up. Thanks 32x

• The title was changed to PC version of Mania delayed till August 29th... [And also in between levels cause of DRM! Yeah! #Onlinemasterrace]

So everything was just fine and dandy for me until the update happened, now my antivirus has flagged sonicmania.exe as a high security risk. I'm guessing this is because of Denuvo, then?