Awoo.

PC version of Mania delayed till August 29th... #FuckDenuvo

Alienrun

7 minutes ago, superman43 said:

Yes, but if you look at Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3K... there were many ROM hacks... and SEGA maybe fears that Mania will be edited from many many people.

That's a little bit absurd, modding is what made the indie devs (that were hired by SEGA to make this game mind you) grew up to what they are now.

1 minute ago, superman43 said:

Yes, but if you look at Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3K... there were many ROM hacks... and SEGA maybe fears that Mania will be edited from many many people.

This is a common occurrence with just about any software or game that makes it to PC. DRM doesn't combat this (or at least, not with enough accuracy to ever consider DRM for this purpose).

1 minute ago, SummitHedgehog said:

That's a little bit absurd, modding is what made the indie devs (that were hired by SEGA to make this game mind you) grew up to what they are now.

1 minute ago, Chris said:

This is a common occurrence with just about any software or game that makes it to PC. DRM doesn't combat this (or at least, not with enough accuracy to ever consider DRM for this purpose).

Time will show. Truth will live forever.

Just now, superman43 said:

Time will show. Truth will live forever.

Objective evidence. Do you have any information on games in the past that have included DRM specifically to prevent modding?

For the record, adding DRM actually makes hackers more inclined to dig deeper.

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Objective evidence. Do you have any information on games in the past that have included DRM specifically to prevent modding?

For the record, adding DRM actually makes hackers more inclined to dig deeper.

I don´t. I just say that SEGA might have tried it. Not that they actually do it.

People saying it's a DRM thing.

You sure about that. Like... you really sure?

Just that when the decision to delay is made public less than a week after review codes go out. 

It completely sounds like the game isn't running well on PC outside of their testing environments to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Do you think there is a possibility of them cancelling the pc version?

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Just that when the decision to delay is made public less than a week after review codes go out. 

It completely sounds like the game isn't running well on PC outside of their testing environments to me.

Well, let´s just say that until 2011 ROM mods were there and after 2011 there were also starting mods of Generations... I believe it is just because SEGA feels that PC users can get their hands on Retro Engine and they don´t want to allow anyone else to work with it.

And if you start talking about re-releases of CD, 1, 2... they were not in the spotlight and therefore no one wanted to mod them.

1 minute ago, A wreaking havoc engine said:

Do you think there is a possibility of them cancelling the pc version?

No possibility of cancelling as they would lose quite a big bunch of money. But they can delay it as far as they need (or want).

Just now, superman43 said:

And if you start talking about re-releases of CD, 1, 2... they were not in the spotlight and therefore no one wanted to mod them.

... ... ... So nobody can mod them now?

12 minutes ago, superman43 said:

believe it is just because SEGA feels that PC users can get their hands on Retro Engine and they don´t want to allow anyone else to work with

It's not.

• Thumbs Up 1

That would suck if sega would really just yoyo pc users around with more delays.

I understand they want a quality product to release and all but man...

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

... ... ... So nobody can mod them now?

It's not.

I said that I believe in it. Besides, remastered 1 and 2 are only on iOS and Android, so it´s near to impossible to mod them. With CD... it may be modding-proof, but it may be as well not. Therefore all possibilities of Retro Engine might be still hidden.

Spoiler

and SEGA may milk us like cows :joy:

11 hours ago, Mayor D said:

If anything it's stranger to me that a game with specs like Mania can't run outside a testing environment and that such a fact would only become apparent less than a week away. Or, alternatively, that that they would struggle that much with it that less than a week away it's not resolved and a delay has to be issued. Not that either case can't happen.

But it doesn't matter, really. PC players will have to wait two weeks whether it's a technical issue or DRM implementation, and I don't think anything is going to change that.

14 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Doesn't SEGA officially endorse modding with their Steam Genesis ROM stuff?

They endorse it as they are no longer publishing new products with ROM stuff (actually abandoned after S&K was done)... but it´s likely that they would publish a new product based on Retro Engine... and in that way they cannot let Retro Engine go wild on internet.

2 hours ago, superman43 said:

They endorse it as they are no longer publishing new products with ROM stuff (actually abandoned after S&K was done)... but it´s likely that they would publish a new product based on Retro Engine... and in that way they cannot let Retro Engine go wild on internet.

It has nothing to do with DRM.

• Thumbs Up 1

Think Sonic Mania fans waiting until the 29th are going to be upset with the spoilers I've been seeing on youtube. Game looks solid though.

38 minutes ago, Azure P said:

Think Sonic Mania fans waiting until the 29th are going to be upset with the spoilers I've been seeing on youtube. Game looks solid though.

At least there would be less game overs and frustration for PC users, for example me. xD

The worse thing is that the community will be split. You get friends that will play it now, some others later, by the time the people later

will join in the discussion, the casual players will have moved on to another game etc.

It's not that the experience of playing the game in itself that will be degraded just because you will play it 2 weeks later than what was the initial date, but part of that experience is sharing your findings and joy with others offline or online. And people being out of that because of their platform of choice is much worse than being left out of it because the game isn't available on your region yet (NA/EU/JPN - JRPG releases are an example of this).

Personally you may not care about that for your own reasons, but that doesn't mean that there's no such thing as a social phenomena that rises between Sonic fans with a global release such as Mania's.

• Thumbs Up 5

54 minutes ago, Dekuhero said:

The worse thing is that the community will be split. You get friends that will play it now, some others later, by the time the people later

will join in the discussion, the casual players will have moved on to another game etc.

It's not that the experience of playing the game in itself that will be degraded just because you will play it 2 weeks later than what was the initial date, but part of that experience is sharing your findings and joy with others offline or online. And people being out of that because of their platform of choice is much worse than being left out of it because the game isn't available on your region yet (NA/EU/JPN - JRPG releases are an example of this).

Personally you may not care about that for your own reasons, but that doesn't mean that there's no such thing as a social phenomena that rises between Sonic fans with a global release such as Mania's.

I've been there too many times, it tears you apart, no thanks.

Games are more fun when you don't give a crap what randos on the internet think, its all pointless really.

@azoo, @Blue Blood, @Sami and @Lady Soniko are not "randos" for me, buddy. Get off your high horse. That isn't pointless to me, and you're in no place to dictate that to anyone else.

16 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

Games are more fun when you don't give a crap what randos on the internet think

Games are fun when you can share the experience with community. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

@azoo, @Blue Blood, @Sami and @Lady Soniko are not "randos" for me, buddy. Get off your high horse. That isn't pointless to me, and you're in no place to dictate that to anyone else.

It goes without saying that if what I detail doesn't apply to you, then I'm not talking about you. I was speaking from personal experience so sorry if I didn't detail that. (no need to take it personally though)

If you consider yourself an exception or have found exceptional people to share your joy with, congrats, its none of my buisness...but congrats.

Most communities by nature aren't very good, there are always exceptions to the rule though...I just figured that goes without saying. :/ (Different people feel differently about different communities lol, high horse or no high horse)

Well, crap. Called up my Best Buy to see if they maybe got an extra unit or two of Mania on the Switch so that I can swap my pre-order in person, but they're totally sold out. Shipped only what was ordered, which makes sense, but isn't any less of a bummer.

So, when does Mania go live on the eshop?

5 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Well, crap. Called up my Best Buy to see if they maybe got an extra unit or two of Mania on the Switch so that I can swap my pre-order in person, but they're totally sold out. Shipped only what was ordered, which makes sense, but isn't any less of a bummer.

So, when does Mania go live on the eshop?

From what I've heard from one of my friends who owns the PS4 version, it says it'll be up at around Midnight EST. Don't quote me on that though.

9 minutes ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

From what I've heard from one of my friends who owns the PS4 version, it says it'll be up at around Midnight EST. Don't quote me on that though.

I think eshop updates at noon but some releases go live at Midnight. Hopefully Mania is one of those releases but I can't seem to find much pointing one way or the other.

edit: I mean, I think the PS4 does the same thing too so that might be a good sign.

14 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Hey hey guys cool it down with the confrontational attitude. There are ways to word these posts in a calmer manner, and I know things are heated/tensions are high but there's still no reason to add coal to the fire.

I'm in the same position as many of you, I'm a PC-only user who has no way to play the game until the end of August while most of my friends are enjoying the game as I speak, but I'm not gonna let my anger seep into how I interact with others and I've already calmed down and moved onto other games while I wait.

• Thumbs Up 3