Awoo.

PC version of Mania delayed till August 29th... #FuckDenuvo

Alienrun

Of course. The fucking day after I get off the fence and decide to preorder they pull this shit. And now that it's been delayed into the school year, I barely even get to play it anyways. Screw this. Is it possible to get it refunded? 

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

Only a certain fragment of sonic fans are those annoying types a boycott would do noting

Hopefully you're right. I think I'm just getting bad memories from the delay-induced boycott for Rayman Legends.

2 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Of course. The fucking day after I get off the fence and decide to preorder they pull this shit. And now that it's been delayed into the school year, I barely even get to play it anyways. Screw this. Is it possible to get it refunded? 

You still have Forces and infinite to look forward to, right? And the last few episodes of Boom, maybe?

I was LIVID when I found this out, but they are probably doing it for a reason. It's frustrating but there's nothing I can do. I don't own Sonic 1 on Steam so yay  I guess? I didn't buy any of the og games on steam cause you can just play them for free on emulators, lol.

3 minutes ago, rosedust said:

I was LIVID when I found this out, but they are probably doing it for a reason. It's frustrating but there's nothing I can do. I don't own Sonic 1 on Steam so yay  I guess? I didn't buy any of the og games on steam cause you can just play them for free on emulators, lol.

To be fair, 06 and Boom were rushed instead of being worked on and look how that worked out.

Really not happy with this news, especially with this bombshell being reported just a few days before the game's release.

The only reason I got the PC version is because it's literally the only version of the game I could/can actually support and had access to. Most of the time, I play games on consoles, I didn't even have a Steam account prior to June; but because I don't have a PS4, Xbox One, or Switch, getting the game on Steam was and still is my only option. And now the only version of the game I can play is the only one that gets pushed back.

I also share bewilderment with others about the reason for the PC versions' delay being "optimization issues". This is a 2D pixel-sprite game emulating Saturn-level graphics, running on Taxman's Retro Engine. Mania could literally run on a toaster. For there to be optimization issues with a title like this, indicates to me that someone somewhere along the line made a colossal mistake was made during the process of getting the game to Steam.

• Thumbs Up 7

20 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

To be fair, 06 and Boom were rushed instead of being worked on and look how that worked out.

True, true. I'm not blaming them, it's just frustrating at most.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

You still have Forces and infinite to look forward to, right? And the last few episodes of Boom, maybe?

This doesn't even answer their question lmao

35 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

This might be a useful resource for you if you only just preordered and want a refund that badly.

Just now, BlueFlare said:

Yeah, I believe they can cook something in that time.

Sonic 3 skin pack! But no, they're not working on any new content.

Just now, molul said:

Sonic 3 skin pack! But no, they're not working on any new content.

That'd be okay, but nah, I know it ,guys - they're trying to make it work as good as possible.

Two weeks mean no shit since my work keeps me busy. It'll be worth the wait, this is just frustrating.

How can PC claim to be the Master race when they don't even get Sonic Mania at launch?

There is a chink in the armor. God Kings can Bleed.

:P

Seriously though, that sucks but I can't see why people are so eager to complain about it. Yeah more than a few people took off work for this (I did too) but at the end of the day quality control is something this franchise lacked for a good stretch of time now. Sega has shown us a willingness to push Sonic titles back the last couple years. If they want to polish, let them polish. Its better than releasing something with problems that we will all gripe about as them rushing yet another product to market. Eventually they will find a decent balance between timeliness and quality control, but for the time being I will take the extra attention to detail.

2 hours ago, molul said:

I don't buy the reasons. We all know this is to boost console sales.

I can see how this would boost console sales, but my question is to why. What exactly does Sega gain by shipping less PC and more PS4? Is the Steam version somehow less profitable? Does Steam take a cut of the profits or something?

Just honest curiosity. I don't understand why the console spread would factor into a decision to delay the PC version of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

25 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

There was more to those disasters than just being rushed. Sonic 06 ended up with a quarter of its original dev team. Sonic Boom had its entire development gutted halfways through for the TV show. You can find the whole stories elsewhere, but rushing was only the last nail in the coffin, not the source of everything wrong with them. A game that's just rushed can still be patched into playability (ex: Total War: Rome II). A fundamentally broken game can be delayed for years and still be mediocre (ex: Mighty No. 9).

43 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Besides having nothing to do with my post: No, no, and no. I'm not even going to get started on how bad Forces looks to me. As for Boom, I got over it halfways through season one. Everything's either self-deprecating humor or LOLRANDUMB, the former of which got old long ago and the latter was never funny to begin with. Plus I don't get Boomerang, and decent-quality uploads of Season 2 are impossible to find on Youtube. And all the side characters are hideous. With the comics dead too, I have nothing left to look forward to out of Sonic, idk why I even stick with the franchise anymore...

17 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

This might be a useful resource for you if you only just preordered and want a refund that badly.

I have a friend who might want the extra copy of Sonic 1, so once I hand that off, I'll request a refund. If I get over it in a couple days, I'll probably put the money towards the Xbox One version instead. I wanted it on PC since I can probably play Mania on my laptop, and my Xbox is just a glorified DVD/Netflix machine now. Of course, with both Mania and Destiny 2 being hit with PC delays, I might have to keep it around after all...

29 minutes ago, Yeow said:

I also share bewilderment with others about the reason for the PC versions' delay being "optimization issues". This is a 2D pixel-sprite game emulating Saturn-level graphics, running on Taxman's Retro Engine. Mania could literally run on a toaster. For there to be optimization issues with a title like this, indicates to me that someone somewhere along the line made a colossal mistake was made during the process of getting the game to Steam.

2 weeks is barely anything in game dev time, and most publishers already treat PC as an afterthought, so this just feels like the game is going to be a broken waste of time on PC anyways.

19 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

How can PC claim to be the Master race when they don't even get Sonic Mania at launch?

There is a chink in the armor. God Kings can Bleed.

:P

Seriously though, that sucks but I can't see why people are so eager to complain about it. Yeah more than a few people took off work for this (I did too) but at the end of the day quality control is something this franchise lacked for a good stretch of time now. Sega has shown us a willingness to push Sonic titles back the last couple years. If they want to polish, let them polish. Its better than releasing something with problems that we will all gripe about as them rushing yet another product to market. Eventually they will find a decent balance between timeliness and quality control, but for the time being I will take the extra attention to detail.

I can see how this would boost console sales, but my question is to why. What exactly does Sega gain by shipping less PC and more PS4? Is the Steam version somehow less profitable? Does Steam take a cut of the profits or something?

Just honest curiosity. I don't understand why the console spread would factor into a decision to delay the PC version of the game.

Say pc version gets cracked on day one. Many people would play it for free instead of buying any version.

If there was no thing that could threaten your own PC, they could release it in Steam Workshop... at least... and we would probably have even better time before the 29th (and at that time they could release the patched version).

If it was for boosting console sales... then... SEGA, you´re fucked.

I saw speculation on Twitter that the PC version was delayed because  modding and hacking might spoil their DLC plans. I'm not sure that's a good enough reason at all given the scale of this game, but :unsure:.

So "polish" is a reason to delay a specific version of the game just a few days before release? I'm all for quality control, but to delay it this last minute does not come off to me as quality control. Something's not right here. It's worth noting that this is the PC version. You can just put out updates. Unlike the console versions, PC updates can be put out very fast and don't require as much of an approval process to release. And, to be honest, I thought that things had been largely sorted out by now. There wasn't really any indicator that there was problems with this version.

There is no excuse for this. I feel like all of SEGA's hype for the game's release this month has been a slap in the face. The countdown to release was for nothing. It's absolutely annoying as it is that the game leaked, and now players like me who were at least looking forward to playing the game in a few days don't even have that now. Meanwhile, everyone else gets to play it with no problem.

A delay is one thing, but a last minute "screw you" to PC players like me who already made IRL plans for the release and have to deal with massive leaks as it is? No. I can understand if it had been a month ago, but half a week before release is just inexcusable and massively frustrating. It almost feels unfair, even.

I'm not even hyped to play anymore. The leaks were one thing, but basically getting screwed over while everyone else gets to play was the last straw. What the hell is the point? I'm already going to know everything the game has to offer. Everyone else will have already played the game and moved on. I can't even enjoy it for myself, that got ruined. And what to I get for this? Sonic 1. That game that I already own, and can't gift to anyone because everyone already has it on Steam. Great...

I shouldn't have to buy another version of the game just to play it when I was told I'd be able to play it for months now, all because of a last-minute delay. It felt great that everyone, no matter what version you owned, was going to be able to play the game on a single day, nearly at the same time. We were all in this together. Now it's just console players being all in this together, while PC players get screwed over at the last minute.

It doesn't even help that this isn't just a mere delay of a few days. This is two weeks. It will be nearly September by the time I can finally play this game. Ugh.

• Thumbs Up 8

16 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

So "polish" is a reason to delay a specific version of the game just a few days before release? I'm all for quality control, but to delay it this last minute does not come off to me as quality control. Something's not right here. It's worth noting that this is the PC version. You can just put out updates. Unlike the console versions, PC updates can be put out very fast and don't require as much of an approval process to release. And, to be honest, I thought that things had been largely sorted out by now. There wasn't really any indicator that there was problems with this version.

There is no excuse for this. I feel like all of SEGA's hype for the game's release this month has been a slap in the face. The countdown to release was for nothing. It's absolutely annoying as it is that the game leaked, and now players like me who were at least looking forward to playing the game in a few days don't even have that now. Meanwhile, everyone else gets to play it with no problem.

A delay is one thing, but a last minute "screw you" to PC players like me who already made IRL plans for the release and have to deal with massive leaks as it is? No. I can understand if it had been a month ago, but half a week before release is just inexcusable and massively frustrating. It almost feels unfair, even.

I'm not even hyped to play anymore. The leaks were one thing, but basically getting screwed over while everyone else gets to play was the last straw. What the hell is the point? I'm already going to know everything the game has to offer. Everyone else will have already played the game and moved on. I can't even enjoy it for myself, that got ruined. And what to I get for this? Sonic 1. That game that I already own, and can't gift to anyone because everyone already has it on Steam. Great...

I shouldn't have to buy another version of the game just to play it when I was told I'd be able to play it for months now, all because of a last-minute delay. It felt great that everyone, no matter what version you owned, was going to be able to play the game on a single day, nearly at the same time. We were all in this together. Now it's just console players being all in this together, while PC players get screwed over at the last minute.

It doesn't even help that this isn't just a mere delay of a few days. This is two weeks. It will be nearly September by the time I can finally play this game. Ugh.

I completely understand how you feel. Even though I'm a PS4 owner, I can feel your anger and frustration, and you have every right to feel that way. I hope you feel better soon, man.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is pretty shitty of them, to be honest. They had to have known the game was busted on PC further in advance of this, and it doesn't reflect well to place a delay on it four days from release. Giving that announcement via a stream is pretty crap too. The compensation of Sonic 1 is also a low blow. Like hey, here's this game we've repackaged a billion times and that you can buy for less than a dollar regularly. Cool.

Also now I get to waste the afternoon trying feebly to get my pre-order moved to the Switch, which so far seems unlikely because it's four days from release and SEGA did not provide adequate time for this shit.

At the end of the day. i hope whatever delay they provided to the PC version will help it be the version most will pick out, but this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth because i'll have to double dip on the occasion of a pretty unstable budget. I'll recover though, but hey i'll have a portable sonic mania also!

FUCK!

EDIT: why are you people chuckling at me im very distressed right now

• Chuckle 5

14 minutes ago, Rummy said:

At the end of the day. i hope whatever delay they provided to the PC version will help it be the version most will pick out, but this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth because i'll have to double dip on the occasion of a pretty unstable budget. I'll recover though, but hey i'll have a portable sonic mania also!

I don't know what the precise reason for the delay is because "optimization" is still a pretty vague statement, but I find it hard to believe it's for actual performance issues. The game can run on a toaster. If it's indeed related to DRM then that's just so SEGA, to make it so far doing so well just to drop the ball at the 11th hour.

A few days before launch. "Optimization" issues that would have been ironed out way before now. Taxman musing over DRM. 

It's pretty apparent that something fishy is going on here, and I don't like it.

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

A few days before launch. "Optimization" issues that would have been ironed out way before now. Taxman musing over DRM. 

It's pretty apparent that something fishy is going on here, and I don't like it.

Taxman is probably given hints. Their job is done. The rest is Sega's doing or failure to do in this case.

• Thumbs Up 2

No other Sonic game on Steam has any DRM other than the obligatory Steam DRM, and I can't think of any other Sega game that has extraneous DRM. Hell, certain games such as Valkyria Chronicles and Sonic Adventure DX are DRM-free (if you rename the Steam client). I can't envision Sega starting to incorporate it now. They honestly probably delayed the game to curb pirated copies floating around during launch or something, that's the one theory I've seen I can believe

• Thumbs Up 3