Awoo.

PC version of Mania delayed till August 29th... #FuckDenuvo

Alienrun

Just now, Sean said:

No other Sonic game on Steam has any DRM other than the obligatory Steam DRM, and I can't think of any other Sega game that has extraneous DRM. Hell, certain games such as Valkyria Chronicles and Sonic Adventure DX are DRM-free (if you rename the Steam client). I can't envision Sega starting to incorporate it now.

None of those were exactly turning heads in the way Mania was, they're also pretty old and probably not worth the time, at least in SEGA's mind. Weird corporate decisions is so positively them it wouldn't shock me in the least if they fumbled things now because someone said "hey guys what about DRM?"

Well the most recent Sega release I can think of on Steam is Bayonetta. That doesn't have any non-Steam DRM, to my knowledge.

You're talking about ports of old games which I don't think is quite as applicable to a new game that has quite a bit of hype built around it.

Look, as much as I don't like DRM and don't want Mania to have it (in fact I wish Sega would sell their games on sites like GOG.com but that's a different matter entirely, I'm more or less alright with Steam DRM), this discussion is seriously tinfoil hat territory and there's no basis on this speculation other than some offhanded comment Taxman made about some news article. I can't discuss this further when these fears have absolutely no ground reason to exist at the given moment.

And here I was, a few days ago, posting a status about hoping SEGA didn't cock up the Steam release. Welp, Switch it is.

16 minutes ago, Sean said:

Look, as much as I don't like DRM and don't want Mania to have it (in fact I wish Sega would sell their games on sites like GOG.com but that's a different matter entirely, I'm more or less alright with Steam DRM), this discussion is seriously tinfoil hat territory and there's no basis on this speculation other than some offhanded comment Taxman made about some news article. I can't discuss this further when these fears have absolutely no basis at the given moment.

Well let's agree to disagree because I dont buy the bs that they have to optimize the pc version four days before the release of the game on all devices. If they knew of these issues they had more than enough time to say something. Just last week all seemed well for them to just out of the blue delay a version. Heck i'm getting the switch version but man do i feelbad for the pc folks

Pc version delayed to the 28th,

Console versions come out on the 15th,

Wouldn't be sega without dividing the fan base yet again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Not Sure I'm in the Right Place. But Here it goes Anyway.

First of All, I'm Sorry for all PC Fans that have to wait. I Feel Bad for you, Awful even. 

So I Thought over it and After thinking for a Hour, I've Made a Choice NOT to Buy Sonic Mania on The Switch Until the PC Version comes out. I Feel like If I Play it, I'm Cheating on a Lot of Fans and Friends of Mine. And I Can't Share My Happiness about the Game with them because they have to wait. That's Only gonna put me in a Mood Not to Play Mania. And Even I Do Buy the Game at Launch, I'm not Playing any of it. Not even Green Hill and Heck, That's My Favorite Zone in The Sonic Series. I Want everyone to Know That At Least One Person from the Nintendo Fanbase is Waiting with them for The TRUE Launch of This Game on PC for the Next 2 Weeks. And Donnie, If you ever read this, Your One of the News Reporter I've ever Seen and Everything you write Makes me Smile. Thanks for being the best one out there! :) Anyways, Yeah. I Doubt anyone will take this Post Seriously so keep Strolling.....But Know that The Day This Game Launches PC will be the Day I Play with you PC Fans out there.

7 minutes ago, MusicClues said:

Not Sure I'm in the Right Place. But Here it goes Anyway.

First of All, I'm Sorry for all PC Fans that have to wait. I Feel Bad for you, Awful even. 

So I Thought over it and After thinking for a Hour, I've Made a Choice NOT to Buy Sonic Mania on The Switch Until the PC Version comes out. I Feel like If I Play it, I'm Cheating on a Lot of Fans and Friends of Mine. And I Can't Share My Happiness about the Game with them because they have to wait. That's Only gonna put me in a Mood Not to Play Mania. And Even I Do Buy the Game at Launch, I'm not Playing any of it. Not even Green Hill and Heck, That's My Favorite Zone in The Sonic Series. I Want everyone to Know That At Least One Person from the Nintendo Fanbase is Waiting with them for The TRUE Launch of This Game on PC for the Next 2 Weeks. And Donnie, If you ever read this, Your One of the News Reporter I've ever Seen and Everything you write Makes me Smile. Thanks for being the best one out there! :) Anyways, Yeah. I Doubt anyone will take this Post Seriously so keep Strolling.....But Know that The Day This Game Launches PC will be the Day I Play with you PC Fans out there.

Hey, your post content is fine but can you please not capitalize every word in your sentences? Only in the beginning and for names, yo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sean said:

Hey, your post content is fine but can you please not capitalize every word in your sentences? Only in the beginning and for names, yo.

Habit of mine, sorry.

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

A few days before launch. "Optimization" issues that would have been ironed out way before now. Taxman musing over DRM. 

It's pretty apparent that something fishy is going on here, and I don't like it.

So you're basically saying that Aaron lied during the stream? Don't know dude, maybe the team really needed that extra time to deal with this optimization thing... Kinda weird, yes, as I believe the main platform is PC after all... Unless it's not? Maybe the PS4 is?

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

So you're basically saying that Aaron lied during the stream? Don't know dude, maybe the team really needed that extra time to deal with this optimization thing... 

It's called saving a**. Four days. Why wait Four DAYS. To announce  delay.

Something that needs optimizing does not pop up overnight. That will be my main gripe and should be the whole fanbases main gripe about this whole thing. 

Saying this a week and a half ago would have been understandable but 4DAYS before release is not.

Sega can never win. Had the game on of come out on original fate and I crashed or say erased files for not taking the time to fix it. Fans would bitch

Take the time to fix it and hold it back 2 meddling weeks fans would birch

Makes me wonder if06 had been delayed with a full team fan base would probably still whine @.@

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Sega can never win. Had the game on of come out on original fate and I crashed or say erased files for not taking the time to fix it. Fans would bitch

Take the time to fix it and hold it back 2 meddling weeks fans would birch

Makes me wonder if06 had been delayed with a full team fan base would probably still whine @.@

Delay the game all ya want it's the way that it was until last minute that it was announced. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

Delay the game all ya want it's the way that it was until last minute that it was announced. 

This a hundred thousand times. The length of notice and the method the delay was communicated is straight up shitty. It's especially bad for people with the CE on pre-order, because nobody is going to switch that for you this far from release, at best you might get lucky and find a store with extra editions for the other platforms, but that's unlikely. I'm irked by delays for games I anticipate but I'm not prone to getting outright mad about it, it's specifically the fact that they revealed this four days from launch that is so upsetting to me.

Really I'm concerned about the Switch version at this point. It's being handled by another team and has shown the worst in demos, frequently glitching out. If the Mania team couldn't get a PC version of their game working then I genuinely wonder what the quality of the Switch port will be like.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Jango said:

So you're basically saying that Aaron lied during the stream? 

Yes, yes I actually am.

38 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

This a hundred thousand times. The length of notice and the method the delay was communicated is straight up shitty.

Not to mention that their "apology gift" is a copy of Sonic 1.

Which everyone on Steam has and only costs a few dollars anyway. So it's useless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Tails spin said:

It's called saving a**. Four days. Why wait Four DAYS. To announce  delay.

Something that needs optimizing does not pop up overnight. That will be my main gripe and should be the whole fanbases main gripe about this whole thing. 

Saying this a week and a half ago would have been understandable but 4DAYS before release is not.

It harkens back to when Ubisoft delayed Rayman Legends about a week before release. It's a REALLY bad PR move.

• Thumbs Up 3

Let's not go into conspiracy theory levels here, optimization errors absolutely can appear this late into development regardless of how lightweight a game is. Even the PC port of 2011's Sonic CD had issues. 

2 hours ago, Conando said:

It harkens back to when Ubisoft delayed Rayman Legends about a week before release. It's a REALLY bad PR move.

Honestly, after that fiasco, 2 weeks isn't that long. The Rayman Legends delay was nearly a whole damn year.

From the sound of it in the stream, they just recently found something that needed fixing, so such a late announcement was unavoidable. Aaron could be lying, of course, but I don't really have a reason to think that, besides conspiracy theories.

2 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

Not to mention that their "apology gift" is a copy of Sonic 1.

Which everyone on Steam has and only costs a few dollars anyway. So it's useless.

People don't actually deserve more for a mere 2-week delay.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Marcello said:

From the sound of it in the stream, they just recently found something that needed fixing, so such a late announcement was unavoidable.

Which raises more questions than answers. What is this something, and why aren't they telling us about it? Why not just make it part of a day one patch or something? That can be done. It's PC. So it was very much avoidable. If there's glitches/bugs, it is much easier to deal with on Steam than on a console. You can literally update the game daily, I'm not even kidding. That's how easy it is. You can even decide exactly what time of the day to put it out. Releasing a broken product isn't great, but at least on PC that can be sorted out very fast. It's when PC games don't address the problems at all that releasing a broken PC game becomes a problem.

If this was a console version, I'd be a lot more lenient about this. Updating on a console is much more difficult and takes a long time, so I'd expect them to try to get as much sorted out before release on there to avoid any inconveniences like that. For example, it took I believe 1-2 weeks for a Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric patch to fix the Knuckles jumping glitch. If that glitch had been on a PC version, you could remedy that within hours. In fact, you could probably remedy even sooner if you quickly catch it.

I'm going to be blunt. Regardless of when this game releases, you are always going to find something that needs fixing. Sure, it helps to find it pre-release, but with many more people playing this game and doing various things, crashes and glitches immediately after a game's release is going to happen.

Because it's more than just a "mere" delay. It's a very last-minute move that randomly showed up, and when people had IRL plans set. It's a massive inconvenience, and I feel that getting Sonic 1 (again) doesn't do that enough justice.

45 minutes ago, Marcello said:

You can usually get the entire Sonic franchise on Steam for like 30-40 bucks so I don't even know what single title would even have enough value to constitute as an "apology," regardless of how much one is merited.

You hear that?

That's the sound of the hype train crashing spectacularly.

Get to watch full play throughs on youtube before even allowed a chance to play it on PC. Awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think, that what SEGA is missing here is some transparency. This delay came out of the left field, and should be given some clearance. 

I'm not saying that SEGA should say "Yeah there's a bug in Sexy Hentai Zone where if Sonic jumps the whole screen turns into Iizuka's face laughing with flames behind him." Just say something like "We caught a gamebreaking bug at last moment during gameplay, we're really sorry for the timing but we'd rather fix it rather than pushing a broken game." instead of "Yeah dudes, Mania PC? Gotta wait two more weeks for polishing lmao sorry top kek sonic 1 free better than nothing" 

SEGA handled this poorly, and that really fucked up with the hypetrain they managed to get going. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2