Awoo.

PC version of Mania delayed till August 29th... #FuckDenuvo

Alienrun

So this is interesting. My PC Collector's Edition arrived at Best Buy.

So uh, I guess you can pick yours up if you have one and you just can't unlock the game until later this month. That's actually really good to know because at least I have the statue and everything. :V

On 8/12/2017 at 8:53 AM, Indigo Rush said:

A few days before launch. "Optimization" issues that would have been ironed out way before now. Taxman musing over DRM. 

It's pretty apparent that something fishy is going on here, and I don't like it.

With all the glitches I'm seeing on youtube video and streams. Maybe they were telling the truth that Mania still needed work and release date rushed it for the other versions. Perhaps they are actually doing PC a favour by delaying it.

23 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

@azoo, @Blue Blood, @Sami and @Lady Soniko are not "randos" for me,

I never get included in friends lists...

Anyway. My partner wanted the PC version I have the PS4. So we've had to create a schedule as to who gets to play Mania when the other is at work and try to avoid accidentally walking in on a spoiler.

And tomorrow SSMB user Kevin is coming over from America and he wants to play.

Everyone at my house is playing Mania but me!

28 minutes ago, Azure P said:

With all the glitches I'm seeing on youtube video and streams. Maybe they were telling the truth that Mania still needed work and release date rushed it for the other versions. Perhaps they are actually doing PC a favour by delaying it.

They really should have just delayed all the versions a couple of weeks. But I guess it was too late for the console versions, due to the shipping of Collector's Editions. The thing is though, it should've been contemplated a month or two ago on whether the game was in a ready state. I can't even imagine how buggy/unfinished the game was in June or July. I wouldn't have minded a delay at that time period, and if it was for all versions, at least it would still feel like everyone would be able to play the game at the same time, and most certainly PC players wouldn't have plagued with a delay just a few days before release.

It's so baffling. Something's not right here.

12 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

They really should have just delayed all the versions a couple of weeks. But I guess it was too late for the console versions, due to the shipping of Collector's Editions. The thing is though, it should've been contemplated a month or two ago on whether the game was in a ready state. I can't even imagine how buggy/unfinished the game was in June or July. I wouldn't have minded a delay at that time period, and if it was for all versions, at least it would still feel like everyone would be able to play the game at the same time, and most certainly PC players wouldn't have plagued with a delay just a few days before release.

It's so baffling. Something's not right here.

I've yet to go pick it up, but if this e-mail from Best Buy is to be believed, my PC collector's edition is ready to be picked up. If they couldn't delay the other versions because of CE shipments then either all CEs would ship but the game wouldn't unlock, or they'd slam the brakes before the CEs could ship.

Either the PC version is extra busted or something else is going on with it.

EWQYX8p.png

I could always go there and find out they have a big box of nothing, though. It is Best Buy and their site is liquid shit.

Does anyone else think that the pc version could be worse off than we think? I'm gonna prepare myself for the worst news, it could be delayed to next year for all we know.

On 15/8/2017 at 3:28 PM, A wreaking havoc engine said:

Does anyone else think that the pc version could be worse off than we think? I'm gonna prepare myself for the worst news, it could be delayed to next year for all we know.

What? Why?

On 15.8.2017 at 4:28 PM, A wreaking havoc engine said:

At this point it would be disappointing to have another delay yet to hear that the PC version is actually sloppy af. I don't want to believe it, though, I trust they're putting all their effort to make the PC version work smoothly.

What I do believe is that the game has some serious bugs (possibly missing cutscenes, or at least I hope they weren't just NOT made) that would hopefully be fixed on PC launch day. But I don't think they delayed the PC version for that.

By the way, I was able to pick up my PC edition CE so in case anybody here had that on pre-order, check around if you haven't recieved yours. Still not sure if Best Buy shipped them by mistake or what.

As for it being more broken, I'm not sure. I'd have to assume it wouldn't be, and that it would benefit from fixes for bugs currently found on all platforms. On the other hand, stuff like Arkham Knight will always make me question the quality of a PC release until it's out in the wild. The only reason I was comfortable with pre-ordering Mania on PC was because I figured it could run on a toaster, and because I wanted to secure a CE.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's finally out! Mine is installing right now. How's everyone else coming along?

So people are upset they have to be online to download a game to not play while on the same pc? Usually I assume if your on a pc your online. I never knew so many people didn't honest

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh for the love of God just stop it. What is with this constant provocation of yours? I'm not going to spell out the reasons why always-online DRM is loathed because I'm certain you know exactly why it's an issue, and just want to shit-stir.

No you just have a stick in you all the time. I've been with steam for years 2004 to be exact nearly every game tells me I have to be online. When my internet goes down I know not even to boot it up cause nearly all my games go your offline buddy no go. Stop swinging at people just cause were not all as grumpy as you 

• Thumbs Up 2

The always-online part isn't a problem for me personally, but I'm worried it's going to cause some issues with my hardware. Should I be worried? 

Definitely submit feedback to the link in Aaron's tweet, though. Hopefully if enough people do that something can be done about this.

The people saying that the devs should have just striked or otherwised directly opposed SEGA on this don't seem to be thinking in the long term. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

So people are upset they have to be online to download a game to not play while on the same pc?

This confuses me. Are you saying "Why are people upset that they have to be online to download the game, and then not play it on that same PC"? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting... I don't understand.

Anyway, the point is that Mania itself requires zero internet connectivity on its own, a point proven by the console releases. Always online is intrusive enough, but Denuvo could really throw a wrench in things, with some possible consequences being the game not running as well as it could without Denuvo/poor performance and the inability to create mods for the game which modify the executable file. That's pretty huge given what kind of game we're talking about here (a "classic" Sonic title) and the community's history with modifying these types of releases. This of course is in addition to the already-present Steam DRM, which itself requires you to connect to the internet every so often as is to continue playing games offline.  Despite this, Denuvo generally is not even particularly effective at what it sets out to do.

It's a just a pain to deal with in general. Things like this tend to make people want to pirate the game more, not less.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Mister X said:

The always-online part isn't a problem for me personally, but I'm worried it's going to cause some issues with my hardware. Should I be worried? 

Definitely submit feedback to the link in Aaron's tweet, though. Hopefully if enough people do that something can be done about this.

Nope you should be ok. It's just in my cases for instance if the internet goes down it won't let you boot certain games. No issues on hardware side

Sega shouldn't get away with this move guys. If you buy the game and they remove it from servers then it's no longer yours. 

The always online part is shit, but removing a right like this ain't a good move from Sega. Goodbye to mods too.

Now even happier I bought this on Switch.

Edit: The modding removal itself is baffling since the people who made his started in the modding scene...

To put it into perspective look back at how the Xbox One was going to be before Microsoft made the massive changes before release.

To people noting the irony of modders releasing a game with mod-prevention: this wasn't the development team's decision, but rather Sega's (Sega of Europe, apparently). Don't blame the people responsible for making it.

• Thumbs Up 6

29 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I've been with steam for years 2004 to be exact nearly every game tells me I have to be online. When my internet goes down I know not even to boot it up cause nearly all my games go your offline buddy no go.

This is an objectively shitty thing and people have the right to be pissed off about it. 

• Thumbs Up 4