Awoo.

Sonic Forces news coming after release of Sonic Mania

Blueknight V2.0

Not surprised to hear honestly
With Sonic Mania out of the way and Gamescom coming next week and Tokyo Game Show next month.
It's pretty expected to have Sega put all their focus and efforts into marketing the shit out of Sonic Forces

Whatever they'll do anything to impress me though is another matter altogether because nothing about this game has been super amazing to me.
I'm still cautiously optimistic and hopeful that this could at least shape up into a fun game at the end. but I swear if the game doesn't look anything like this in terms of depth and scope.

GreenHillForcesConcept.thumb.jpg.acd17d5db1791d58935e4aae05f19786.jpg

I shall be a disappointed man.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

Funny you say that about Forces when Mania does the same thing just with better level design

And better physics. And coherent artstyle. And awesome music. And two more playable characters. And with actual understanding of the source material.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

And better physics. And coherent artstyle. And awesome music. And two more playable characters. And with actual understanding of the source material.

1. Of course, one using an existent 2D engine as a base, and the other one using a 3D engine from scratch.

2. I... Agree with this one.

3. We heard few tracks from Forces. I didn't care about Mania music until spoilers. Maybe will be the same for Forces! *shrug*

4. There is a custom characters. Not saying is a good thing, just saying!

5. Oh how many times I saw this line before... Both are doing just that perfectly fine in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Kind of unfair to say that when we haven't seen much of the game so far.

No matter the amount the issue is that it's there period. We've had Generations and Mania, and now no matter how large or small the dose we're getting the same medicine in Forces, and even if the amount of old stages is extremely minimal, the game will likely be littered with redesigned Egg Pawns and Badniks.

I'm surprised it hasn't been complained about the way we've literally fought the same enemies for the most part since Heroes just with different coats of paint on them now and then. How many times can you blow up the same enemy without asking what else there is?

And there's still the issue of all the Death Egg Robots again. Even if they look different it's still the same thing. Stages aren't the only thing we should start bringing up and/or complaining about.

Just because a boost pad or spring looks different now and then doesn't mean you don't get any less sicker of seeing them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Yeah I don't really care, I liked Generations and so far I like the reused stages I've seen (and played, by the way, OC GHZ was pretty fun).

Must be one of those cases of being more fun to play than it is to watch then since I didn't like the look of OC GH too much. Then again, I hardly ever like watching sonic footage of the first stages in these games so maybe my opinion of it will change with hands on experience.

3 hours ago, BB91 said:

Not surprised to hear honestly
With Sonic Mania out of the way and Gamescom coming next week and Tokyo Game Show next month.
It's pretty expected to have Sega put all their focus and efforts into marketing the shit out of Sonic Forces

Whatever they'll do anything to impress me though is another matter altogether because nothing about this game has been super amazing to me.
I'm still cautiously optimistic and hopeful that this could at least shape up into a fun game at the end. but I swear if the game doesn't look anything like this in terms of depth and scope.

GreenHillForcesConcept.thumb.jpg.acd17d5db1791d58935e4aae05f19786.jpg

I shall be a disappointed man.

Nope.

it's a corridor game that swaps 3D and 2D with likely more 2D ala Colors so...

Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Try again next game.

3 hours ago, Joseph Henry said:

1. Of course, one using an existent 2D engine as a base, and the other one using a 3D engine from scratch.

2. I... Agree with this one.

3. We heard few tracks from Forces. I didn't care about Mania music until spoilers. Maybe will be the same for Forces! *shrug*

4. There is a custom characters. Not saying is a good thing, just saying!

5. Oh how many times I saw this line before... Both are doing just that perfectly fine in my opinion. 

1) One using an existent 2D engine made by Taxman almost alone, the other using an engine developed by Sonic Team which is a very important development studio that works almost exclusively on Sonic and develops engines in-house tailored just for that with a probably high budget behind their backs.

3) I heard around 5 tracks from Mania, the ones released officially, and they've been consistently great. Forces main theme has wonky vocals, the Avatar tracks are cute but they are not game material, they don't fit at all as background music for a level. And Classic's music sucks so far.

4) The custom character is a weaker, wonkier, more awkward Sonic with generic apperances. Mania has Tails and Knuckles that are standard Sonic + flight or glide. Beats that unuseful weapon any time of the day.

5) Mania is taking the original artwork and doing justice to it. The original music and doing justice to it. The original level design and doing justice to it + adding new stuff that actually fits in and developing new acts that feel like they belong in that zone with new gimmicks.

Forces has Green Hill with bits of Act 1 and 2 randomly thrown around, that don't blend anymore like they used to, with absent physics. The original parts of the stage are Lost World tier level design. Oh and sand in the background I guess...?

42 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

1) One using an existent 2D engine made by Taxman almost alone, the other using an engine developed by Sonic Team which is a very important development studio that works almost exclusively on Sonic and develops engines in-house tailored just for that with a probably high budget behind their backs.

3) I heard around 5 tracks from Mania, the ones released officially, and they've been consistently great. Forces main theme has wonky vocals, the Avatar tracks are cute but they are not game material, they don't fit at all as background music for a level. And Classic's music sucks so far.

4) The custom character is a weaker, wonkier, more awkward Sonic with generic apperances. Mania has Tails and Knuckles that are standard Sonic + flight or glide. Beats that unuseful weapon any time of the day.

5) Mania is taking the original artwork and doing justice to it. The original music and doing justice to it. The original level design and doing justice to it + adding new stuff that actually fits in and developing new acts that feel like they belong in that zone with new gimmicks.

Forces has Green Hill with bits of Act 1 and 2 randomly thrown around, that don't blend anymore like they used to, with absent physics. The original parts of the stage are Lost World tier level design. Oh and sand in the background I guess...?

About 5. 

Spoiler

I guess you haven't seen all of Mania old stages yet.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

Nope.

it's a corridor game that swaps 3D and 2D with likely more 2D ala Colors so...

Nope.

Nope nope nope.

Try again next game.

That feeling of harsh reality hitting my face. not exactly the best feeling out there.

Even then, I do have some sort of hope in me that the game can show improvement after City Heights.

But yeah, it's best that I keep my expectations low for the better as nothing about Forces has been super enticing to me and that's probably not gonna change anytime soon.

3 hours ago, MegasonicZX said:

Must be one of those cases of being more fun to play than it is to watch then since I didn't like the look of OC GH too much. Then again, I hardly ever like watching sonic footage of the first stages in these games so maybe my opinion of it will change with hands on experience.

I kinda like everything so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I just thought it was fun running around with the Burst wispon.

You know what the biggest problem of Forces is?

Being incapable of customizing your character after the first time until AFTER you beat the game.

You can't use anything you unlock to put on your character until after the game is finished then.

Isn't that how it's going to work given ST's statements?

What's going on? Did someone get a leaked copy of forces or something? Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

You know what the biggest problem of Forces is?

Being incapable of customizing your character after the first time until AFTER you beat the game.

You can't use anything you unlock to put on your character until after the game is finished then.

Isn't that how it's going to work given ST's statements?

I'm curious, what statements are you referring to?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Celestia said:

I'm curious, what statements are you referring to?

If I'm not mistaken there was a quote from Iizuka talking about, because the character is supposed to be you through the main game, once you decide on what it looks like at the start you cannot change it until after you beat the game, so I doubt you can customize it anymore until after you beat it.

That would mean any unlockables would only be wearable post-game

I assume that's in reference to the base design such as which animal you choose. The unlockables (which will almost certainly be a thing, if they haven't already been confirmed) might just be clothes and accessories.

...This reminds me, it sure would be cool if this game brought back save files, especially if we can only make one Avatar per save.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

If I'm not mistaken there was a quote from Iizuka talking about, because the character is supposed to be you through the main game, once you decide on what it looks like at the start you cannot change it until after you beat the game, so I doubt you can customize it anymore until after you beat it.

That's quite the interpretation of that incredibly blank statement. You're really going to need more than that to believe that. 

Rings will likely just act as a form of currency, either rings themselves or converted to some kind of spendable points. You can use them to buy clothes and other accessories at some kind of store. I imagine it'll be similar to how you bought items in Generations. You could do it whenever you want.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Hmmm, without some sturdy evidence to back this claim up, I'm afraid it's looking more likely that this is another mistaken bout in judgement based off of the exact wording of the guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Hmmm, without some sturdy evidence to back this claim up, I'm afraid it's looking more likely that this is another mistaken bout in judgement based off of the exact wording of the guy.

It really just depends on whether this is just in regards to the species of your character or if it's an all encompassing statement.

I'm not certain how far it goes which is why I brought up the discussion. If they make it to where everything is locked until post-game in regards to changing your character it does give incentive to beat the game to enjoy everything you unlocked during your trials to beat the villains.

Actually, what really sucks about the avatar's customization is the benefits each species receives. 

• Bear — Blows away enemies with a homing attack
  • Bird — Flies high with double jump abilities
  • Cat — Keeps one ring after being hit
  • Dog — Restarts with five rings after the player dies
  • Hedgehog — Collects rings when getting damaged
  • Rabbit — Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
  • Wolf — Automatically draws in rings when near them

That's it? I feel like there's really no strong benefit for choosing one over the other. All of these benefits sound lame. My original plan was to make a blue Hedgehog and call him "Not Sonic", but I think now I'll just close my eyes and pick one while saying "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe". Who thought of the one for the dog? That's easily the least useful option.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, McGroose said:

Actually, what really sucks about the avatar's customization is the benefits each species receives. 

• Bear — Blows away enemies with a homing attack
  • Bird — Flies high with double jump abilities
  • Cat — Keeps one ring after being hit
  • Dog — Restarts with five rings after the player dies
  • Hedgehog — Collects rings when getting damaged
  • Rabbit — Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
  • Wolf — Automatically draws in rings when near them

That's it? I feel like there's really no strong benefit for choosing one over the other. All of these benefits sound lame. My original plan was to make a blue Hedgehog and call him "Not Sonic", but I think now I'll just close my eyes and pick one while saying "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe". Who thought of the one for the dog? That's easily the least useful option.

It could be they intended to use shields and other characters at some point then just dropped it all and did the custom thing with wisps instead.

Those do feel like shield/character based abilities.

Silver could automatically draw in rings thanks to his psychic.

Cream could be the longer invincible time and single ring keeper.

Tails of course could be the flyer, and Rouge.

Knuckles/Blaze could be double jump?

Dunno...

6 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It could be they intended to use shields and other characters at some point then just dropped it all and did the custom thing with wisps instead.

Those do feel like shield/character based abilities.

Silver could automatically draw in rings thanks to his psychic.

Cream could be the longer invincible time and single ring keeper.

Tails of course could be the flyer, and Rouge.

Knuckles/Blaze could be double jump?

Dunno...

That's the thing though, shields probably won't be used by Modern Sonic or the avatar, and no one actually flies. The bird just double jumps.

Honestly, the one species with a useful benefit is the bear. It could be the closest we'll get to playing as Sonic in the avatar stages.

I think these passives were either originally Boom Sonic's Chaos Crystals or they were added shortly after Boom Sonic was dumped to die off. With the playable character demand, how could they cut actual characters? 

4 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

I think these passives were either originally Boom Sonic's Chaos Crystals or they were added shortly after Boom Sonic was dumped to die off. With the playable character demand, how could they cut actual characters? 

I'm not sure whether or not I believe that the avatar was once Boom Sonic. It makes sense based on the character abilities and the avatar's wisp gun and gimmicks. On the other hand, maybe the characters really were just inspired by the Boom look. 

I don't know which one would have been the better option.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do wish their unique abilities were actually relevant to each animal. I guess bird's is close? Bears being strong makes sense, maybe? (Though I wonder what exactly they mean about blowing enemies away with the homing attack--does it damage nearby enemies, knock the one you attacked into others, or what?) This is the biggest stretch of the bunch but cats being able to keep a Ring could be as best as they could do with regards to referencing the "cats have nine lives" proverb without, well, a lives system.

But the others are all undeniably arbitrary. Even if they want to stick to minor stuff like this rather than full on moves or something, there's improvements to be made here. That said...I wonder if they might have some other unique attributes that you can unlock or obtain somehow.

1 minute ago, McGroose said:

That's the thing though, shields probably won't be used by Modern Sonic or the avatar, and no one actually flies. The bird just double jumps.

I could see the Avatar having shields, since they don't have a boost, and that perceived redundancy seems to be the reason shields have been left out of recent games. (Personally I think they still have some use--first of all, there's obstacles and possibly even enemies that can hurt Sonic even if he's boosting, and secondly they'd be nice in emergency situations where you don't have any boost energy, which if Colours is any indication will be more common here than in Generations at least.)

• Thumbs Up 1