Awoo.

When were you born and do you like 2d or 3d more

Meta77

I was born in 1997. I'm actually currently playing through the classic games right now in a desperate attempt to get on the Mania hype train. That being said, I vastly prefer the 3D games.

Born in 96 and I have to say that I prefer more of the 3D games than 2D. Though, I will say that I have't really hated any style the series has put out so far so... take that as you will. I can find the pros in all of them really.

Born in 1982, I've started with the first game on Master System then Megadrive.

I like both 2D and 3D, especially the boost gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

92 baby. Grew up with s3k collection and I like 2d games more.

I was born in the late 90s but until I was around 5 the Genesis was the new system for me. Then I got a Gamecube with the Mega Collection and SA2.

Overall I like Generations' Modern Sonic 3D just a tiny bit more than 2D Genesis, then Adventure, then other 3D and 2D games.

Born in '87, started playing games with the NES and SMB, first Sonic game was Sonic 2.

As far as 2D and 3D games in general, I have no strong preference. I feel just as at home in SMB 3 as I do in 3D World, and in ALttP as in BotW. And I believe both 2D and 3D games have a place in gaming; each has its own benefits and drawbacks, and certain games are better suited to (or even only possible in) one or the other.

As far as 2D and 3D Sonic games...there's really no competition. Sonic's best 2D games are so far beyond the series' attempts at 3D. 3&K is to this day one of my favorite games, and I would say one of the greatest platformers of all time, holding up excellently even over 20 years later. But even the best of his 3D games have serious issues, ranging from being buggy and unpolished, to poor gameplay design, to terrible storytelling, and more. Having fun with a 3D Sonic game more often than not requires learning to work around the game's problems and being overly forgiving of its faults, while a good 2D Sonic is a naturally enjoyable experience throughout.

All these are great. I'd like to do a YouTube series showing that not all fans are as bad as many make out and how there's a love across all sonic games.

For me I saw sonic as a extension of myself. As I got older he grew with me into a cool guy. His 3d games started when I was around 10.

Regardless now I figure how yo write up a video. I'm not using any of you just the varied love of sonic

Born in 1997. I grew up with the Genesis titles and Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Heroes. I like them both equally. Maybe I have a soft spot for the modern games, mostly because I have the most memories of them than the Genesis titles. Never could get past Marble Zone or Chemical Plant when I was young, so it could be that. 

Born in 1987 - (g)eeek! Oldness. My 1st Exposure was Sonic 1 on the Master System (built in of course) - a little after release I think. I'd always be excited to go round my friends to play it though. My other buddy had Sonic 2 on the Master System... it was always our pipe dream to get past Sky High Zone and that damn glider section... 

Then I got to exposure to Sonic 1 and 2 on the Megadrive... I randomly remember playing on arcade units having MD versions of Sonic 1 in pubs/resturants and once I found Sonic 3 in a cafe with my parents, that was a blast and just made me want to own that particular game more. Then eventually when I got a Megadrive (Mark II) I got Sonic 1, 2 & Knuckles and 3D (why I never owned 3, I don't know - but I was endlessly borrowing/renting it to lock on to Sonic & Knuckles to play the game complete.) Loved that.

Then apart from some exposure the Jam and R, I never owned a Saturn or Dreamcast (as I'd gone Playstation by this point) - so eventually I was reintroduced to 3D when my mate bought his Dreamcast and a copy of Sonic Adventure 2 round - to which I think JezMM couldn't have summed up better...

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

...It wasn't until Sonic Adventure 2 that I was reintroduced to the series on my own time.  I was kinda blown away by it and permanently fell in love with the idea of Sonic having a world, lore, character building and "serious" plotlines etc.

It's probably mostly rose-tined nostalgia that makes me found of this particular title and made me a raging hardcore fan for the proceeding titles (see also; teen years) - but it still remains a staple game to me in the series. It's a product of it's time for sure - but it was a product of my time.

To be completely honest I've enjoyed pretty much every other 2D/3D/Portable Sonic game since (bar perhaps '06, Black Knight and a almost playable Demo of Boom). I've been through Sonic Teams endless experiments to "get it right" and enjoyed each flavour that comes out of the Izuka ice cream factory. I've never had many issues with anything they've produced thus far, wonky physics or no - I'll take each game as it comes and for what they are - never terrible but always great in their own way. 

So... that's both I guess - I've no real preference. ^^;

I'm excited for Mania because the classic games make me feel 10 again and this game oozes that charm and playability that I love from the original titles. 

But then I'm also excited for Forces - the return of the boost gameplay is something I absolutely loved in Unleashed and Generations - it felt like a right turn for Sonic in 3D. And the return of the Wisps and certain gameplay elements from Colours - then Classic Sonic, sure why not - the addition of Custom Avatar who to me seems like a chicken out replacement of Boom Sonic - seems like a great idea for a third style of play too. 

To be honest I'll always be excited for a any announced Sonic title, be it 2D or 3D - I'm right there - I'll watch the Sonic Cycle rage again - but I'll play each game and get out of it the Sonic Fun I always find. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Born '97, first Sonic game was a bootleg version of Sonic 2 for the old Nokia phone in 2005. I remember trying to manipulate the terrain to get as much speed as possible and learning about momentum (Considering I had no idea who he was till 2 years later with AOSTH & SatAM). I was also awed by the music which was more, for lack of a better word, darker the original.

Even though my full proper experience was with the modern titles I still prefer 2d over 3d but they're neck in neck. I find the classics had a balance of charm and colorful lighthearted fun and darker moments to signify tension as level progression, something only a few 3d games have managed.

3d games still have a chance to shine. Both adventure and boost formulas have the problem of certain moments of artificial length, but they can be reworked to remove this moments. It'll just take a competent Sonic Team to work it out.

1988, and I vastly prefer 2D. But not just any 2D, the classics specifically. I feel like Advance/Rush/Rivals/Sonic 4 just doesn't live up in terms of quality.

Born in 1995, first time experiencing Sonic games was on the Gamecube with Mega Collection, Sonic Adventure DX, and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle all given to me on the same day as a gift. Currently now as an adult I love both equally. As a child I vastly preferred the 3D games, especially the Adventure games for their gameplay and storytelling. I felt they really captured the coolness that was Sonic as a character and the others were portrayed pretty great, but I just found the 2D games to be fine and that's it. I found myself enjoying Sonic 2 the most among the games on Mega Collection. 

Nowadays I love the classics to death because I feel I'm already at a point in my life where I can appreciate what made them so good to begin with and actually comprehend it. I still enjoy the 3D games (Adventure 2, Generations and Adventure 1 are my top 3 favorites in that order) despite their serious flaws. I guess in general I do really love both equally since they both have things that I love (Classics strong momentum gameplay, 3D games different styles + storytelling, etc), but lean a tad bit towards the 2D main games maybe if I'm forced to choose one. Gameplay is just very strong and consistent and has continuously been built upon with each main game up until 3&K, which I appreciate. CD is still my favorite Sonic game of all time.

Born in 91 and have been playing since the the original games on Genesis.

Like Classic and Modern, but prefer Modern over Classic.

I say "Modern" specifically because I like the Advance series and Rush over the Classics outside of Sonic 3 & Knuckles with I like just as much as them.

But I hate Sonic 1 and despise the original Sonic CD.

I am a touch older than the series and I was basically born with a Genesis controller in one hand and a Copy of Sonic 1 in the other. I dare say I've owned every major Sonic game at launch since the series started.

As for today, I greatly prefer the 3D games. They offer more to me and resonate more with what I enjoy out of videogames these days. The 3D titles almost never fail to put a stupid grin on my face. ^^

I still like the 2D games though. I still think Sonic 2 is the best of the series, and I will without a doubt be playing the HECK out of Mania in a few hours, but the 3D games just resonate with me more.

Born in 96, I'm a mix of both 2D and 3D. (I was born when 3D games became a thing and late into the 2D games.:P)

Well, '89 here, and I'd say I'm split down the middle on 2D vs 3D. Both are awesome when done correctly (Generations being a prime example), while some arguably poor examples of both also exist ('06 and Sonic 4 come to mind).

• Thumbs Up 1

Born in the late 80s. Like 3D more.

Sonic 1 was the first one I played in 1991. But I didn't care much for it or the other classics.

Sonic 3 was what roped me in.

I was born in 1994 and only care about the 3D titles. I don't really like any 2D platformer as I find them way too restrictive compared to 3D titles.

As such I couldn't care less about the classic series myself.

'93. I find 3D Sonic significantly more appealing, to the point where I'll probably enjoy a significantly flawed Sonic Forces more than the near-perfect Sonic Mania. 

I was born in 2003, and I like 3d more than 2d buuut that's probably gonna change because I'm not particularly a huge fan of the boost gameplay being honest. Like someone said earlier, I don't think any style they've done is truly abhorrent so I'll probably be a Sonic fan for long times to come. :D

I was born in 1992. While I think the 2D games are more consistent in terms of quality I can't deny that I have a little bias to 3D ones, probably because I started playing with the Adventures Series.

Though if we are talking nostalgia I would say 2D games like the advance series and the Rush ones are bigger for me.

However in the end I have no preference, if the game is good I don't care about 2D or 3D. 

I grew up playing both. I'm a late 80s baby, so I saw the inception of 3D gaming and the highest of 2D gaming in series like Mario and sonic.

To me, these type of threads tend to pop up because Modern (3D) sonic fans aren't comfortable with the idea that the 2D genesis games are widely considered great and always have been, while Modern Sonic has had a very rough go of things, especially in the "adventure" era from SA1 to Sonic '06. Arguments about this tend to run in circles and no one will ever change their mind, because we all have all bit of nostalgia for the things we experienced in our childhood days.

My feelings are two-fold:

1) Modern Sonic (Sonic Adventure-Sonic Forces), for the most part, really does suck and has largely been a failure except in a few instances. This coming from a guy who loves the original Sonic Adventure (one of my top 3 favorite Sonic games actually)

2) The Sonic series has a higher potential in 3D than in 2D, despite the 2D games generally being handled much better. A 3D game with a strong concept and focused design would put Sonic on a level that would rival the very best on the market.

It is my highest hope for 3D sonic to reach the same level of quality as a game like Mania and even surpass it. But a lot will have to change in the direction of the series for that to happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Born in '98. I can't decide which I like more, so I guess it doesn't matter to me as the long as the game is good.

Born in 1987, I like them both. I grew up with the 2D games, and recently did some 3D games and I like them both.