Awoo.

The Story After Forces (Mania Spoilers)

Chris Knopps

So, with the leaks out and Mania now officially out in some territories and quickly coming to others, I figured it was safe enough to finally make this thread. Avoid it if you don't want any spoilers whatsoever of course pertaining to the Mania/Forces titles, but if you don't mind that, read on.

At the end of Mania, we see Classic Sonic and Infinite's gem get sucked into a wormhole that rockets Classic Sonic and the gem into the world that's to be Forces, this supported especially by the pose Classic Sonic strikes at the very end of the, well, ending.

However, the problem is that his friends, Classic Robotnik and the Chaos Emeralds remain behind in the Classic dimension along with the Heavies.

I theorize that, after Sonic Forces releases, Whitehead Team is going to be tasked with a new Classic title, and this time it will feature Classic Sonic returning to his dimension to find that, during his absence, Classic Robotnik managed to take over, getting the upper hand without Classic Sonic's speed beating him to the Chaos Emeralds.

It could be that the Heavies aided in keeping his friends away from Classic Robotnik while he put plans into motion as well during Classic Sonic's absence. While it's a little disappointing to theorize we might be in for the same type of plot twice in a row, this seems like the most likely outcome for Classic Sonic's dimension following his return post-Forces.

This type of story will likely happen in order to reboot and reform the continuity of the Sonic franchise as a whole, both its Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic series, with Mania and Forces being the beginning of the new coexisting franchises to come, making it so that Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic are aware of one anothers dimensions and will be capable of traversing them in the future for more crossovers when the time is right but otherwise continuing their own stories separate from one another.

Do you think this is a plausible theory? How possible do you think it would be that this is the case? And what are your opinions of this idea as well?

lkl6ydrveriuspvtrwvy.gif

After helping save Modern Sonic's dimension in Forces after accidentally sending the power Modern Eggman found to his world, his Classic self will drop back into his own dimension and work with his friends to save his own world from Classic Robotnik, who has finally obtained the Chaos Emeralds first and destroy the Heavies once and for all!

• Thumbs Up 3

That's...pretty similar to Forces plot. I don't doubt that they'll try and make Classic it's own thing again but that's a little too close to just being Classic Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

That's...pretty similar to Forces plot. I don't doubt that they'll try and make Classic it's own thing again but that's a little too close to just being Classic Forces.

That's the most likely outcome however. On the plus side this would mean anything that comes after in regards to both Forces and the 2D title following it will be much more original and separate with their plots.

At least it'll ease off the load for Forces of not having to deal with the hard boiled heavies and all that.
But yeah, I suppose it makes sense. It's weird to have Classic Sonic leave like that without consequences.
And we already know Classic Eggman won't appear  in Forces, so makes sense they'll need a second game to clean up.

But man, people will be angry at yet another cliffhanger ending.

As for it being similar to Forces story, well, if there's one thing Sonic team does, is run a story into the ground until everyone begs for mercy.
Whether it was the Hidden Gods of destruction betraying Eggman from the 2000's games or the "Sonic and Tails are in a random incomprehensible abstract location in space to stop Eggman and Ohh, is that Green Hill Zone over there???" from the past decade, Sonic team sure loves repeating themselves a lot.
I'm all for Eggman taking over the world as the cliché story for the next decade.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

4 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

At least it'll ease off the load for Forces of not having to deal with the hard boiled heavies and all that.
But yeah, I suppose it makes sense. It's weird to have Classic Sonic leave like that without consequences, and we already know Classic Eggman won't appeari n Forces, so makes sense they'll need a second game to clean up.

As for it beign similar to Forces story, well, if there's one thing Sonic team does, is run a story into the ground until everyone begs for mercy.
Whether it was the Hidden Gods of destruction betraying Eggman from the 2000's games or the "Sonic and Tails are in a random incomprehensible abstract location in space to stop Eggman and Ohh, is that Green Hill Zone over there???" from the past decade, Sonic team sure loves repeating themselves a lot.
I'm all for Eggman taking over the world as the cliché story for the next decade.

Here's the thing Roger, if they do what I'm speculating in the next 2D game after Forces, it means Classic Robotnik once again managed to trump Modern Eggman because he will have conquered everything on his own without using someone else to do his dirty work. It would mean his robots best Sonic's friends and he collected the Emeralds all on his own and now he himself is all powerful, not some subservient entity but he himself has all he wanted in his fist.

The world, the emeralds, Sonic's friends battered by his creations...

I really wouldn't mind retreading Forces plot one more time if it means seeing Classic Robotnik shining so brightly all on his own again.

This is why Forces disappoints me because he's in the background as a cheerleader for Infinite basically, but the 2D title to follow could rectify this using the plot I mentioned.

I would LOVE it if they rebooted the continuity of this franchise, because this franchise has had little to almost no consistency in terms of tone, story and setting.

Well, Classic Eggman still needed Infinite Gem to get rid of Classic Sonic.
But sure, if he can take over the world with Tails and Knuckles still on the loose.....
Classic Tails and Knuckles, and not Whiney computer nerd and useless idiot.
That's impressive I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Well, Classic Eggman still needed Infinite Gem to get rid of Classic Sonic.
But sure, if he can take over the world with Tails and Knuckles still on the loose.....
Classic Tails and Knuckles, and not Whiney computer nerd and useless idiot.
That's impressive I suppose.

Well, keep in mind the plot of Mania was Classic Sonic and Classic Robotnik racing each other to the power source to see who could snatch it first, and Classic Robotnik managed to beat Classic Sonic to the goal in Mania, so that says a lot about how savvy Classic Robotnik is now.

He may have needed the gem in the hopes of getting the upper hand, but that still meant it was Classic Robotnik beating Classic Sonic to the object and using it himself against his enemies through his own technology while his Heavies kept the team at bay. They may have had a rebellious streak throughout the game but Classic Robotnik still enforced control and even put the hammer down on the Heavies leader.

He doesn't take crap, Classic Robotnik, the way Modern Eggman does left and right from his creations. Orbot and Cubot proved, if nothing else, Modern Eggman in his own way seems to love humiliation for whatever reason, but Classic Robotnik still maintains order in the end and instills submission.

So while yes, Classic Robotnik needed the gem to get the upper hand, that's just it, HE needed it, not some servant under him destined to betray in the end. And when his robots TRIED to betray him and take power away, he put his foot down hard in the end, even with Super Sonic in the fray, he took on Super Sonic and the Heavy leader.

That is MAJOR balls compared to Modern Eggman, he essentially says "F@4K Super Sonic" while Modern Eggman just turns terrified whenever Modern Sonic takes on the form. Classic Robotnik still charges in head first to try and f@%k up Sonic's day even WITH the power of the emeralds inside him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

12 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

But yeah, I suppose it makes sense. It's weird to have Classic Sonic leave like that without consequences, and we already know Classic Eggman won't appeari n Forces, so makes sense they'll need a second game to clean up.

As for it beign similar to Forces story, well, if there's one thing Sonic team does, is run a story into the ground until everyone begs for mercy.

Are you sure you saw Green Hill Zone over here ? (Generations pun intended.) :joy:

Now, seriously, I believe that there could be first game in the mainline where Sonic won´t be the key character, but Tails would be instead... it´s just you know, Tails has never been treated with his own story ever. So I believe Tails and Knuckles could chase Dr.Eggman/Robotnik as without Sonic he is now capable of ruling the world. Sonic could come back from Forces in the zone before the final zone. Any guess ? 

Second thing. I believe that Mania Team won´t choose Mania 2 as a name for the new 2D Sonic game.

57 minutes ago, superman43 said:

it´s just you know, Tails has never been treated with his own story ever.

Swap that for "Getting a Tails Adventure 2/ Tails skypatrol 2 would be neat" and I'll agree.

And I suppose Mania 2 would be a bad name if the next one is more story driven and less meta celebration.

Definitely feeling the link to Forces in that ending. Right down to the first pose in the initial Forces teaser.

Thinking Infinite is some interdimensional being who is contained within this stone.

Which I think is a Time Stone of some form, looks like one. The way the time limit is messed up in the Super Sonic battle here adds to this belief.

Wild speculation here here, but reckon that's the 7th one which was never found in Sonic CD. 

Regardless Im keen to see more when Forces is released, it's caught my interest more. They're making Infinite seem quite the villain.

2 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Swap that for "Getting a Tails Adventure 2/ Tails skypatrol 2 would be neat" and I'll agree.

And I suppose Mania 2 would be a bad name if the next one is more story driven and less meta celebration.

I mean in the main Sonic games. Not spin-offs etc. ;) 

By the way, actually, I think that Sonic Mania and Sonic Time Twisted are like... cousins, let´s say. Both are fan games, but Time Twisted was not published by SEGA. Both have good music, levels, special stages. But yes Mania is more nostalgia-wise and Time Twisted is more like what if...

5 hours ago, superman43 said:

I mean in the main Sonic games. Not spin-offs etc. ;) 

By the way, actually, I think that Sonic Mania and Sonic Time Twisted are like... cousins, let´s say. Both are fan games, but Time Twisted was not published by SEGA. Both have good music, levels, special stages. But yes Mania is more nostalgia-wise and Time Twisted is more like what if...

The sequel to mania actually WILL be a main Sonic game, just in the new 2D series of main games.

That is... IF we get a sequel to Mania, that'd be the smart thing but when do they ever do the smart thing?

I mean, they do, but in their own way which always makes it a dumb thing in general usually...

Forces is doing smart things but in wrong/dumb ways.

We'll see how things turn out.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

The sequel to mania actually WILL be a main Sonic game, just in the new 2D series of main games.

That is... IF we get a sequel to Mania, that'd be the smart thing but when do they ever do the smart thing?

somethingsomethingforces

There's no way Mania won't get a proper Mania... 3 with how well the game was received. SEGA is a sucker for getting praised, they'd be fools not to do this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think someone said it here: I wouldn't make a sequel very soon (like 2 years). I'd take advantage of this great team to give a "mania" treatment to other classic games like Ristar (or better, a remaster of Ristar if it sells well on Sgea Forever, and a Sonic 3 remaster) for a couple of years and then I'd come back to Mania for a sequel (or a new name but with the same engine).

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe this starts a whole new saga!

Eggman ends up becoming more competent and ruthless, enough to affect his modern counterpart to the point where the world becomes worse off than it was in Forces. Mania 2 may even have Modern Sonic in the game, while the next main title uses alternate characters as the selling-point/gimmick to retake the world again. 

11 hours ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Mania 2 may even have Modern Sonic in the game

This would be a really bad decision. Expectable from the old Sega we don't want to see anymore.

Classic must be kept classic. If anything, I'd accept and even like an HD classic 2D Sonic game next. But Modern Sonic has its own identity, and the last time they tried to bring Modern Sonic to classic gameplay... Well, we all know how it went.

2 hours ago, molul said:

This would be a really bad decision. Expectable from the old Sega we don't want to see anymore.

Classic must be kept classic. If anything, I'd accept and even like an HD classic 2D Sonic game next. But Modern Sonic has its own identity, and the last time they tried to bring Modern Sonic to classic gameplay... Well, we all know how it went.

Yeah, I'd also say Modern should be kept Modern. I'm ok with two different types of Sonic games releasing in tandem, but I'd prefer to let them sink or swim on their own.

I'd actually like modern Sonic games to be changed to something more than running fast and pressing a button to avoid obstacles from time to time (I know it's not always like that, but it is most of the time, except in Lost World, which wasn't really funny to me either). 

8 hours ago, molul said:

I meant to have Modern alongside Classic, instead of replacing him.