Awoo.

Confess Your First Hit, Death, and Game Over in Sonic Mania

SpongicX

Feel free to share where/how you first got hit, died, and got a game over in Sonic Mania. My first hit was a motobug in Greenhill Zone. I was flying as Tails, and  I landed on one that came out of nowhere from below.

My first death was  from the boss in Green Hill Act 2. Right when I defeated the boss, a glitch occurred, where Tails fell off a cliff. Luckily, my 2nd try went more smoothly.

So far, I completed act 2 of Mirage Saloon, and I still haven't lost all my lives yet. I think I currently have 8, 9, or 10 lives.

no game over yet, got my first hit from spikes in GHZ1 and died for the first time as I explored the lower paths in studiopolis 1, found a bottomless pit there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh am I going to regret this. A pelet from a buzz bomer 5 seconds into Green Hill Zone Act 1. 

Also the thing you were saying about tails falling off a cliff. I dont think that is a glitch. I think it happens if you take to long to beat em.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't even remember my first hit. I've had no game overs. My first death was to

Spoiler

Oil Ocean Act 1's

mid-boss because they just flung me into a wall of spikes I didn't know was there which one-shot me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Got hit on the first few spikes in GHZ, died first in Green hill zone act 2 against the boss since it took me a while to figure out how to beat him and got my first game over in Flying Fortress act 2 against the boss (I died a lot on that stage, and then I got crushed to death by the spikes against the boss). 

Yea, I know I suck. Eh, it's still fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

Oh am I going to regret this. A pelet from a buzz bomer 5 seconds into Green Hill Zone Act 1. 

Also the thing you were saying about tails falling off a cliff. I dont think that is a glitch. I think it happens if you take to long to beat em.

It's still strange to see it happen upon defeating the boss though. I had no control over Tails, as he idley waited for Eggman to flee, and I ended up dying.

Hit spikes at Green Hill Act 2, I got squished between two moving platforms in Lava Reef act 2 and I didn't have a Game Over Yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

My first death was to Heavy Gunner, that inertia was a pain in the ass. My first, and only, Game Over was in Flying Battery Act 2 when hitting one of those electric control panels at a bad angle and going off the cliff from the rebound.

(I played Sonic solo first, so no help from friend)

First death was 100% falling past a platform into a random pit during the electrified swinging bars section in Flying Battery 2.

First hit, no way I remember lol. I get hit a lot by random stuff.

Game Over? Didn't get one, I beat the game with 25ish lives in the bank /smug

• Thumbs Up 1

First hit was against Green Hill Act 2's boss, first death was in... Press Garden, I think? Or maybe Flying Battery. First game over was Titanic Monarch Act 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

First death was in Chemical Plant Act 1. You know there's a part where it's like the original Act 2 with the twirling roads and you end up in a tall corridor where you must jump on rotating squares as the water rises and drowns you?

Well before you reach that part, there's a part right after the checkpoint where it goes really fast and you can press Down and just roll with it.

Yeah.

Ended up dying TWICE due to fucked up chance where I rolled RIGHT into a rotating square's edge and it ended up squashing me. Two times. Fuck you.

And first game over was in the Egg Spider. Fuck that boss. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Think my first death was in Flying Battery. Fell off a platform outside. Never liked those sections.

Only game over I got was the boss of 

Spoiler

Oil Ocean Zone.

That thing was a pain in the rear without a fire shield. Then it was pathetically easy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never died. Never got hit once.

shifty-cat-looking-around-paranoid-eyes-

...What? Okay, fine. I hit some of the first spikes in Green Hill and died during the Chemical Plant boss.

Shut up.

• Chuckle 1

honestly, i dont remember my first hit, but it had to be during green hill zone 1, im not actually good at any game lol

first game over was flying battery zone act 2, towards the end. I got stuck there for a while!!!! egg spider was annoying but fun

aaaaand......i havent actually gotten much farther. im on stardust speedway now, got stuck on the act 2 boss and had to give up the tv!

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

I never died. Never got hit once.

shifty-cat-looking-around-paranoid-eyes-

...What? Okay, fine. I hit some of the first spikes in Green Hill and died during the Chemical Plant boss.

Shut up.

Because of the glitch or did eggman beat you

Just now, Tails spin said:

Because of the glitch or did eggman beat you

I suck at tetris.

I don't play Sonic to play with blocks.

1 hour ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Think my first death was in Flying Battery. Fell off a platform outside. Never liked those sections.

Only game over I got was the boss of 

Hide contents

Oil Ocean Zone.

That thing was a pain in the rear without a fire shield. Then it was pathetically easy.

I hated that boss. I can't imagine how I could beat it without Tails!

I actually got a TIME OVER on Flying Battery Act 2, reached the spider boss with 40 seconds left, couldn't beat it in time. Luckly, and unlike the classics IIRC, you don't start at the beginning of the Act when you get a time over, but rather at the latest checkpoint (the timer resets) :)

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

I suck at tetris.

I don't play Sonic to play with blocks.

Eggman sucks at Puyo Puyo too. You can beat him pretty easy with simple 2 chains, if even. I'm not great at it myself, but think of setting the puyos/beans like steps with a 4th matching puyo being blocked off by one of a different color.

First hit was a stay bullet from a buzzbomber in Green Hill (go figure). First death was against the first Hard Boiled Heavy, the physics in that fight fucked me over when Sonic wouldn't jump far enough over a missile. No game overs.

However my second death was in Act 2 of Studiopolis, when I was transitioning on one of those tube like platforms I jumped off because I saw something that looked like a passageway to a special stage and ended up falling through the entire floor of the stage. I choose not to count that one as my fault.

• Thumbs Up 1

First hit was to the first Motobug while testing out the drop dash. First Death was to the block stairs in Chemical Plant. First Game Over was to the broken hitboxes of the block stairs in Chemical Plant. How does barely brushing the fully vertical stairs count as crushing?

First hit was some random Motobug in Green Hill Zone Act 1. I had a shield tho'. My first death was randomly getting crushed by the moving blocks in Chemical Plant Zone Act 1. 

Spoiler

My first Game Over was the Oil Ocean Zone Act 2 boss with Knuckles. That oil in combination with Knuckles' low jump arc is infuriating, honestly. You pretty much cannot fall in.

You want hits and game overs?

Just wait until I get my hands on this game. It's been a decade and I still can't beat Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

You want hits and game overs?

Just wait until I get my hands on this game. It's been a decade and I still can't beat Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

I grew up with the Modern Sonic games, so I decided to try out Sonic 1 on Android to get a taste of what Mania might be like and it was hard for me. I can't do the special stages and it took me at least an hour to successfully get through Marble Zone. Had the game forced me to start back on Act 1, it would've been much longer. That being said, Mania hasn't been nearly as unforgiving. I've only gotten one Game Over during my playthrough, but the special stages and bonus stages are still very hard for me.

As for my first death, I died at the Studiopolis Act 1 boss multiple times even though it shouldn't have been that hard to begin with. My first game over was against the Flying Battery Act 2 boss. I don't really mind since Flying Battery Zone has been my favorite zone thus far.