Awoo.

The Hard-Boiled Heavies Appreciation Topic

Dr. Mechano

I never thought eggman would make female robots. Two at that. I like these guys. They seem very unique and quirky. Like, if sonic mania had a tv series, these guys would steal the show. I hope they return if they made another mania game.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, A wreaking havoc engine said:

I never thought eggman would make female robots. Two at that. I like these guys. They seem very unique and quirky. Like, if sonic mania had a tv series, these guys would steal the show. I hope they return if they made another mania game.

The thing is 

Spoiler

The HBH were normal Egg Pawns until the Phantom Ruby transformed them.

I think I like the Heavy Rider, pretty suprised that she and the Magician are females!

I like the Heavy Rider because of her concept. A robot who's daredevil like and thrill seeker, WITH A MACE! I may not have the game, and I haven't seen most pictures, but I imagine she goes crazy swingin that mace around.

A part of her concept is amusing to me. I mean-

latest?cb=20170815181851

Of all the vehicles she's riding, it's a Motobug.

ITS A FOOKIN MOTOBUG THAT HOPS AROUND AND EXTENDS IT'S WHEEL UP AND HAS CRAZED EYES AND STUFF.

It's a funny concept and it actually suits her well!

Just now, DiamondX (Trunks) said:

The thing is 

Hide contents

The HBH were normal Egg Pawns until the Phantom Ruby transformed them.

Egg Robos, actually.

Though who's to say two of those Egg Robos didn't have "female AI" already?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Egg Robos, actually.

Or the ruby is somewhat of a godlike being and just chose those 2 egg robos to be female?

...im now imagining eggman building transgender robots. :blink:

But I really wish that heavy rider had her own stage though from what I've heard

1 minute ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Egg Robos, actually.

I got to the point where I don't even know the Badnicks.

Back to topic, Shinobi is my favourite. HE FREEZES YOU WITH HIS SWORD.

AND HE'S GREEN. AND A NINJA.

Quick note, Heavy Rider is a tribute to a late member from Sonic Retro who is known for making that Motobug in Sonic 1 hack, Polygon Jim.

So I'm all for 'em. Bless.

• Thumbs Up 8

I fucking love the Hard-Boiled Heavies. Taxman and SEGA show how actions speak louder than any word, without any single piece of dialogue the Hard-Boiled Heavies have so much personality for what they are. I wish they're not a one-and-done group of villains and show up later on, because they deserve more. They're really fun, and all of them are distinct enough. 

My favourite is the Heavy Magician, I'm a sucker for magicians, magic tricks, showmanship and all of that jazz. Just something that always felt fun for me to watch and see. An example of another character of the sort that I absolutely adore will be Zatanna from DC Comics, just I don't know man I love characters like that. Heavy Magician is so fun to watch, when she introduces herself in Mirage Saloon Act 1 and moves her hands around and drops the hat and suddenly poofs herself away, man that was awesome. I love it. 

Next to Heavy Magician, probably Heavy King, I like his design and the true final boss where you fight him and Eggman really raised up my liking for him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have the game but I can already tell I'd like them just looking at their pictures.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody else wish Sonic Team would had picked these villains for Sonic Forces too? I know it'd seem redundant to have both Mania and Forces 2 games back to back having the same cast of bad guys... But I think it would had worked better then pulling Shadow and Chaos in as villains again... But I guess we'll see if they do a good job with it.

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Anybody else wish Sonic Team would had picked these villains for Sonic Forces too? I know it'd seem redundant to have both Mania and Forces 2 games back to back having the same cast of bad guys... But I think it would had worked better then pulling Shadow and Chaos in as villains again... But I guess we'll see if they do a good job with it.

Don't ever talk to my water kaiju demon or me again. 

How dare you. 

Just now, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

Don't ever talk to my water kaiju demon or me again. 

How dare you. 

You know that got me thinking... It'd be pretty interesting to see Chaos used as a good guy for once in these games.

3 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

You know that got me thinking... It'd be pretty interesting to see Chaos used as a good guy for once in these games.

I mean, Chaos wasn't naturally bad. Eggman just manipulated him. Always loved Chaos as a character.

1 hour ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

I mean, Chaos wasn't naturally bad. Eggman just manipulated him. Always loved Chaos as a character.

I'd argue Chaos was bad. He wanted revenge on humanity for... the actions of the ancient echidnas. Huh.

Still, in his rage, he wanted to cause destruction - with a motive that had nothing to do with Eggman.

Now, he settled down and stopped being like that, so he reformed. But during SA1, I'd say Chaos was an out-and-out villain with villainous motives.

• Thumbs Up 4

I do like them 100 times more than the Deadly Six, that's for sure. Also, I didn't know that gem was called the Phantom Ruby. How did you know about this?

As much as I like the HBHs, they are Mania's thing, they shoudln't be in Forces, I'd rather them be in Mania 2. Although I'd love to see them in HD.

I don't know how to pick a favourite, honestly. Shinobi's endearing because his body is really not the shape you want for performing ninja tricks, lending a somewhat clumsy edge to his otherwise nifty animation. The Asterons are a great touch and one of the moments that had me react out loud on first encounter.

Rider is great for a similar reason with that Motobug, but also for being a beautifully erratic daredevil. They could have easily gone with something more obvious at the top of a volcano and instead went with robot Evel Knievel. Fantastic.

Magician is a showstopper for many reasons, not least for the cameos she brings with her. Her transformation sequences are super cool, in the air or on the stage. Like Mechano said, the fact that she shows up more than once on her turf makes it a lot easier to get attached to her.

Gunner's awesome for his moments of anxiety as he realises he's massively fucked up. That makes him super relatable, hah. The fact that he uses his entourage to protect himself shows some smarts, though. It also makes him a massive bastard. I love him.

That leaves King, the Heavy I was certain was called Monarch for obvious reasons. Oh well. King will do. He's got good fashion sense and a dramatic flair for interior and exterior design, but is an absolute shitter to fight with that ruby. Enjoy floating as scrap metal in the ocean, you jerk.

Ugh... This is as hard as choosing between the new zones. These are seriously the best henchmen and I hope they return (in a Mania sequel no less). I'm going to go with Shinobi for now, mainly because I like how you have to fight him. Rather than being protected in the air like Sonic is in a ball, this is actually him at his most vulnerable. It still catches me off-guard, as I instinctively avoid him when he's flipping and go for him when he's grounded. I find the others a bit more straight forward, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 4

I didn't really pay them much mind at first, but they're slowly winning me over. Each of them manage to be distinct in their own way. 

The closest comparison I can make are the Deadly Six since they fill a similar role, and it's not even a contest. The HBH don't have to rely on cliche'd stereotypes to be entertaining, they just are by virtue of their designs and quirks. It does help that they provide some of the more unique and engaging boss fights in the game compared to the lackluster ones provided by the D6.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've made some RPG Maker VX Ace sprites for our egg robo gang (forward facing, still-standing only):

RhJpV7N.png

Feel free to use and/or modify as you wish!

• Thumbs Up 6

Truthfully...

I hope that they get featured in the new Sonic Comic that they're making next year - they have a ton of personality, and I'd love to see it even more fleshed out. 

And my favorite?

Well...sadly I have no modern consoles, so I haven't played it for myself yet. :(

But from what I saw, I like Heavy Gunner.  He just seems like a dutiful, but screwy, guy who wants to do his best! 

I like to think of the hardboiled heavies are reincarnations of other sega characters.

Heavy gunner= E-swat guy

Heavy shinobi= Joe musashi 

Heavy magician= Nights? Or reala

Heavy rider= super hang on guy

Heavy king= Gilius thunderhead?

I was initially a bit apprehensive, until I realized that they were of a very different flavor to the Egg Bosses, Grandmasters/Sub-Bosses, and the Fleetway subordinates. They aren't sympathetic fleshed out characters like the Egg Bosses and half of the Grandmasters, nor are  they fucking terrifying like the Fleetway villains and the other half of the Grandmasters. They're quirky, nice little baddies similar to Robot Masters and their ilk. Scratching a bit of an itch for unsympathetic villains that still have a lighter charisma to them, with their humorous actions and getups.

Sure, the Deadly Six seemed to try their hand at this, but they were terribly handled, with the plot schizophrenia about how vile they were in the end. But these guys do it much better without a single line of dialogue. I hope to see them again or even see more added to their number.