Awoo.

What makes a sonic fan a fan. What are your thoughts on the fanbase

Meta77

I'm working on a YouTube video this weekend discussing the life of sonic and my views of the 2d games and 3d games. And the fan base. Trying to see how to do the fan base. I've seen many bash 2d games. Some only pist negative on here about 3d. And some that show they love both equally and the series and media and general. I'd like to hear what some of you think of the series. For me I've been a fan through thick and thin. Honestly the only thing I really hate in the series was Chris from sonic x. Lord he messed with me

I'm not a Sonic fan. I don't even like Sonic. Sonic Unleashed was the final straw for me to stop following his games every release.

I stick around for Tails and Shadow though. Because they're more interesting than the zero character development yet obsessively centric story Sonic has going on with him.

Every one is different. You can't really lump people of the fan base into a group. We're all individuals with individual likes and dislikes.

But I do share the sentiment of annoyance when Sega is swayed by people towards making features you dislike in the franchise.

Actuallyyou van lump sum we all olive different aspects but I can lump say 2d only fans on one side as they openly express it as you did with not being a fan at all. Which is odd

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Actuallyyou van lump sum we all olive different aspects but I can lump say 2d only fans on one side as they openly express it as you did with not being a fan at all. Which is odd

You really can't.

I like 3d games more than 2d.

But you know what my most treasured Sonic game is?

b19SrpI.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic the Hedgehog is hands down one of the most diverse franchises in gaming's history...and that is both a good AND a bad thing. It leads to many different KINDS of games being made but it appeals to different groups. You have people that love the 2D Genesis games, love the 3D Adventure games, the 2D Rush and Advance series, The Modern Formula starting with Unleashed and even some that like the style of gameplay seen in Lost World. But when you have so many different styles for Sonic, you can't make everyone happy. 

Classic fans finally got their game with Mania while Modern fans are hopeful Forces doesn't suck. But Adventure fans are left cold, as the Modern formula lacks the 'feel' the Adventure games offered. If a Sonic Adventure 3 get's announced, people will be worried that the 'feel' those games offered might not return for example. 

The biggest issues with Sonic is that it casts a wide net and captured everyone. But not everyone wants to be in that specific net, they want their OWN net to call home. SEGA is somewhat trying this with Mania being for Classic and Forces being for Modern. The issue is been happening through for years and that is a problem. It's hard to fix something you really haven't bothered addressing for decades. 

Sonic is a series I personally love but I'm not shy to call out the crap when I see it. I grew up with the 3D games first and 2D games later. I enjoyed almost all of the series, having replayed every game in 2016 (mostly, couldn't play the Wii U ones due to not owning them). It just needs to be more focused and appeal to specific groups again. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I personally think that Sonic Team could use some smart people for future games. There are so many wrongs in the last 3D Sonic games and very few rights. Sonic Mania's success shows how welcome the classic formula is. I don't Forces will have the same luck. And Sonic Boom is an aberration, imho.

Some people are okay, but there's a serious problem with people who think that only a certain type of game is good.

I see people all the time who think that the Genesis games were the only good games, and that's just not true. Likewise, I see people who say that the Boost games are the only good 3D games, or vice versa for the Adventure games. Just because you don't like one style of gameplay, doesn't mean that you shouldn't acknowledge what each style does right.

Personally, I enjoy both 2D and 3D games, but I enjoy the momentum-based 2D games (Genesis games, Master System games, Advance, Mania) more than the boost 2D games (Rush, Colours DS), and the Adventure games more than the Boost games. That said, Sonic Colours is one of my favourite Sonic games of all time, I just think Generations falls short. What does annoy me, though, is the 2D sections in the boost games, as they feel like a cheap replica of the classics.

Do you like the Sonic games? Do you love the comics, tv shows or whatever? Do you consider yourself a fan of Sonic? If you answered yes to especially the third question then you are a Sonic fan!

This fanbase is indeed diverse however it is very much divided. The one thing I have noticed is how people's tastes in Sonic games seem to dictate who is a real fan and who isn't. There is no such thing as a "real" fan in my opinion. There are just Sonic fans. I've seen arguments (not from SSMB) that the younger generation has ruined the series because they like a certain type of game and I do disagree with that. With new fans they are going to have to ease them into the series plus just because a group of fans are older doesn't mean they always should get first dibs. 

Now I am not saying no one can feel that way. You can feel however you feel. I am just giving my opinion that maybe we should stop dividing the fanbase, stop blaming fans for games not going a certain way and just really enjoy the series. 

I think a true fan is someone who is willing to criticize the bad parts of the franchise because they want it to move into a good direction and reach the potential that they know it can reach. 

The worst fans are the ones who take it as a personal insult when someone says they don't like a certain thing from the series. You'll see this sort of thing with both 2D and 3D fans.

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

I think a true fan is someone who is willing to criticize the bad parts of the franchise because they want it to move into a good direction and reach the potential that they know it can reach. 

The worst fans are the ones who take it as a personal insult when someone says they don't like a certain thing from the series. You'll see this sort of thing with both 2D and 3D fans.

1 hour ago, RK64 said:

Sonic the Hedgehog is hands down one of the most diverse franchises in gaming's history...and that is both a good AND a bad thing. It leads to many different KINDS of games being made but it appeals to different groups. You have people that love the 2D Genesis games, love the 3D Adventure games, the 2D Rush and Advance series, The Modern Formula starting with Unleashed and even some that like the style of gameplay seen in Lost World. But when you have so many different styles for Sonic, you can't make everyone happy. 

Classic fans finally got their game with Mania while Modern fans are hopeful Forces doesn't suck. But Adventure fans are left cold, as the Modern formula lacks the 'feel' the Adventure games offered. If a Sonic Adventure 3 get's announced, people will be worried that the 'feel' those games offered might not return for example. 

The biggest issues with Sonic is that it casts a wide net and captured everyone. But not everyone wants to be in that specific net, they want their OWN net to call home. SEGA is somewhat trying this with Mania being for Classic and Forces being for Modern. The issue is been happening through for years and that is a problem. It's hard to fix something you really haven't bothered addressing for decades. 

Sonic is a series I personally love but I'm not shy to call out the crap when I see it. I grew up with the 3D games first and 2D games later. I enjoyed almost all of the series, having replayed every game in 2016 (mostly, couldn't play the Wii U ones due to not owning them). It just needs to be more focused and appeal to specific groups again. 

This is the issue lately. People want Sonic to devolve to what they liked at specific points in the franchise rather than wanting Sonic to evolve. Granted SEGA hasn't been handling Sonic's evolution well and thus sinks back onto this crutch of the past many cling to.

Although Mania was wanted by many and well received. I don't consider it a success for the Sonic franchise. Because it promotes stagnation and constant recycling of old ideas and assets.

Although Forces is not some thing that 100% appeases me with its clinging to classic Sonic, green hill zone's return and boost game play. I give it credit for trying some thing different and attempting to add to the evolution of Sonic.

As much as I like the adventure era the best out of the three choices given. I don't want a Sonic adventure 3. We already got Sonic adventure 3 and it was called Sonic '06. Let's not do that again.

• Thumbs Up 1

What makes a Sonic fan a fan of the series? Honestly, I don't know. We all come from various different backgrounds where many of us grew up with the 2D Genesis games, the Adventure games, or the Modern Boost games, but I believe what we all have in common is regardless of what Sega attempts to do with the series, we all want to see Sonic actually succeed in what it's trying to do. I fervently want Sega to revisit Adventure/Heroes in the future, but I'm open to what Sega wants to do and as long as they strike gold within the gaming community and begin to preserve Sonic's identity as a gaming icon, that's all I can ask for. Doesn't matter if what I want doesn't come true, I just want Sonic to succeed.

What are my thoughts on the fanbase? Honestly, I'm annoyed that because people have lost faith in Sega, people are willing to jump to conclusions about how a game is going to be whether it is gameplay wise or story wise based on Sega's previous failures. It's understandable and I've done it with Forces in the past, but I regret jumping the gun by complaining about Forces gameplay-wise without seeing enough of it. Remember Alex from Nintendo Life? Do you guys want to know why he's a prominent example of what's wrong with the Sonic fanbase? Because he brazenly judged the game as a whole based on a demo and wasn't open to the prospect of Force's gameplay improving as the game progressed. Fact is, we should all wait and give Sega a chance to prove themselves instead of jumping the gun.

52 minutes ago, Azure P said:

As much as I like the adventure era the best out of the three choices given. I don't want a Sonic adventure 3. We already got Sonic adventure 3 and it was called Sonic '06. Let's not do that again.

I want sonic adventure 3, and 06 certainly wasn't it. I only could play as 3 characters, there wasn't a chao world, and a myriad of other non sonic adventure elements

Anywho, to answer the op

What makes a sonic fan I dunno. I like sonic, Shadow's my favorite. I like silly dumb stories that take themselves seriously, and sonic gave me that at one point. My thoughts on the fanbase? Shits gonna get real rough when forces comes out

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't give a toss about weird-ass nuances. If they like Sonic a whole bunch, they're a Sonic fan. None of this "true fan" nonsense, there's no such thing. A fan who only likes the Mega Drive titles is just as much a "true fan" as someone who eats up whatever SEGA puts out, regardless of its quality. 

If they're one of those folks who constantly goes after people in a vitriolic manner for pointing out something like how Forces looks naff though (see: Olney getting death threats for his Forces preview), then I'd argue they're not a Sonic fan. Then I'd argue they're a fucking moron. Same goes for people who act like people who like anything beyond the Mega Drive games are crazy. 

• Thumbs Up 4

A Sonic fan is anyone who likes Sonic enough to call themselves a fan.

We don't decide whether or not someone else is a Sonic fan. They do by whether or not they consider themselves one.

I think putting any stipulations on it beyond that gets into gatekeeper territory, and I want absolutely none of that.

• Thumbs Up 4

all good info for my video.

So let me ask this. What if someone does noting but bash on sonic. Say they hate the 2d games the 3d games, the media. But the liked mania. They turn around and say he man are you a fan. the guy says yea I just dont like the rest of the franchise is he still a "fan" again this is all so i can talk through my video about the franchise without stopping every few seconds

13 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

all good info for my video.

So let me ask this. What if someone does noting but bash on sonic. Say they hate the 2d games the 3d games, the media. But the liked mania. They turn around and say he man are you a fan. the guy says yea I just dont like the rest of the franchise is he still a "fan" again this is all so i can talk through my video about the franchise without stopping every few seconds

Yep, they're a fan.

If they like any aspect of something enough to call themselves a fan of that thing, then they're a fan - even if they dislike the majority of the thing they like.

• Thumbs Up 1

It depends. It seems the person is devoted to the series given that he's tried the 2D and 3D games before actually judging it and he still decided to do so with Mania despite being disaffected with the previous games. I would say he's a fan of the series because he's constantly committed to Sonic in spite of his shortcomings which is likely the case within a large portion of the Sonic fanbase.

49 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Yep, they're a fan.

If they like any aspect of something enough to call themselves a fan of that thing, then they're a fan - even if they dislike the majority of the thing they like.

got it

The fanbase can be pretty segmented, which is mostly Sega's fault for having so many wildly different versions of Sonic. It's given it that old reputation of "Sonic fans are impossible to please!" and "They keep contradicting themselves on what they want!", when in actuality, there's many different parts of the fanbase clamoring for different things. It's a shame really.

As for what makes you a Sonic fan? Uh, yeah what everyone else says, just liking Sonic.

I feel a Sonic fan is someone who enjoys the franchise enough in its current form, even if there are some things that they are critical about. However, the current offerings of the franchise are still enjoyable from basic point of view. The franchise doesn't make them mad, but some things are "a little disappointing."

However, I am NOT a Sonic fan. I've hated most offerings from Colors to Lost World. I don't care for 2D and am unlikely to pick up Mania, and Forces, while started off by promising what I wanted introduced things that put up red flags and made me walk away.

I stick around for my series and there's only one character I still like in  the damn roster, even if the series apparently doesn't like him.

What makes a Sonic fan, huh?

It's not that complicated, really. As others have said, if you like Sonic, then you're definitely a Sonic fan. And my opinion on the fanbase? Well, it's definitely divided and I blame SonicTeam for that mess. Person A wants the series to stay 2D and stick to its roots(god, I hate that word), person B wants the boost gameplay, person C wants a multiple playable character's with a serious tone, person D wants the opposite,  person E wants to see the Adventure style gameplay return. Honestly, it's not that we're "unpleaseable" or "we don't know what we want", it's just that Sonic Team has made different styles that caused there to be fans of different aspects of Sonic. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

17 hours ago, Azure P said:

I love the classic series, but I certainly don't want a follow up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. We already got Sonic 4 & Knuckles and it was Sonic 4 - Knuckles. Let's not do that again.
Oh, hi Sonic Mania.
Wow, it's like people can learn lessons from mistakes, aproach ideas from an alternative angle, and get a diffrent team to work on projects or something, crazy.

Anyway, to become a Sonic fan, just like Sonic. To become a TRUE Sonic fan, just viciously hate all other fans.

3 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I love the classic series, but I certainly don't want a follow up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. We already got Sonic 4 & Knuckles and it was Sonic 4 - Knuckles. Let's not do that again.
Oh, hi Sonic Mania.
Wow, it's like people can learn lessons from mistakes, aproach ideas from an alternative angle, and get a diffrent team to work on projects or something, crazy.

Anyway, to become a Sonic fan, just like Sonic. To become a TRUE Sonic fan, just viciously hate all other fans.

Sonic Mashup is just 2D Sonic Generations for the classic era though. That's kind of a bad example.

Why do we need to validate everything.

If transonic multicolored mammals collecting magic jewelry is your jam, then embrace it. Lace those red sneakers with white duct tape slapped across the top and run into traffic with your arms behind your back like the rest of us. 

• Thumbs Up 3

57 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Why do we need to validate everything.

If transonic multicolored mammals collecting magic jewelry is your jam, then embrace it. Lace those red sneakers with white duct tape slapped across the top and run into traffic with your arms behind your back like the rest of us. 

That would net you a ticket sir