Awoo.

Why does Sonic eat chili dogs?

blueneedlemouse

No, Eggman's still evil, he's still kidnapping and enslaving small animals to power his robots. It's just that he and Sonic both want to exploit small animals, and there aren't enough to go around.

• Chuckle 3

Sonic's universe has different levels of animals. First there is the semi-cartoon-ish versions of animals like we have IRL. After that there are the very cartoony big head animals that Sonic saves from Dr.Eggman's capture often... And finally there is the animal humanoids like Sonic and gang... Sonic doesn't care about LV1 animals. =p

• Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

No, Eggman's still evil, he's still kidnapping and enslaving small animals to power his robots. It's just that he and Sonic both want to exploit small animals, and there aren't enough to go around.

But what if Eggman is trying to save them by protecting them by turning them into robots

Sonic eating chili dogs is only when the cameras are on. Sonic is a member of Erinaceus and usually has a mouth full of insects, worms, and slugs. It's a beautiful sight to behold really.

Just now, blueneedlemouse said:

But what if Eggman is trying to save them by protecting them by turning them into robots

Robotnik doesn't turn them into robots. The Robots act as capsules and the tiny animals act as batteries for the robots... somehow...

I myself always thought it was a neat little reference to the 'Sonic's' chain of fast food restaurants, which is famed for its wide variety of chilidogs. Kind of amazed there was never a tie-in promotion back in the day. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I think chili dogs represent his cool spicy style and speed. I mean, just imagine Sonic licking strawberry ice cream.

48 minutes ago, Tomazo said:

I think chili dogs represent his cool spicy style and speed. I mean, just imagine Sonic licking strawberry ice cream.

Well, I mean...

5KASocT.png

He comes pretty close.

• Thumbs Up 2

The serious answer outside of the world of Sonic is that someone needed to come up for a food to relate to Sonic for the cartoons. TMNT had pizzas, Mario had pasta, Sonic had chilidogs. They were no real explanation on why but they were based off something. Mario is Italian and both were from New York at the time (Mario no longer isn't) where there were plently of Italian-American eating places. Pizzas can be quick to eat and take out that is fitting for the Ninja Turtles hiding from the public. Whether it was based off the Sonic drive in restaurant I don't know but it does seem very likely considering the name and slogans fitting for the character. Until Sonic Advance 3 and shown in later games, it was one of those American references and didn't appear elsewhere but someone at Sega/Sonic Team must have liked the idea.

As for the other answers. He eats them because there isn't much food choice; Knuckles has the market on grapes, Eggman assumely eats eggs and sandwiches, Espio eats a traditional Japanese dish (dumplings?) and have no clue what the other characters eat (ice creams and burgers have been shown before so Tails and Amy can eats those). They could be vegetarian based chilidogs or Sonic eats meat that has its own questions. Eating Flickies and Rickies...

10 hours ago, blueneedlemouse said:

Wouldn't he be against eating animals since he's always trying to save animals? It doesn't make sense.

Think of it this way. People can care about animal welfare and still eat meat. Plenty of meat-eaters are still against inhumane treatment of animals.

Sonic might not be okay with animals being drained of their life energy to be used as batteries for a mad genius's robots, but he is okay with humanely slaughtering and eating them.

And half the time we save Flickies from the badniks, we do so in dangerous locations (Whenever the badnik is in a vulcano, floating in mid air, surrounded by Eggman machinery) that the poor things immediatly get killed upon release.
And hey, now we have all these dead animals (some already convientently cooked in the vulcano) anyway, might as well get use out of them.
And what's a more perfect way to cover up the taste imperfections of roadkill then by using chillisauce?

Altough I'd probably just go with vegetarian soy hotdogs if I was a Sonic writer, but whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

All of Sonic's chili dogs are made from humanely slaughtered and ethically sourced Picky product, with minimal factory processing and no additives. 

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Well, I mean...

5KASocT.png

He comes pretty close.

It was a hot summer day. He couldn't help.

• Thumbs Up 1