Awoo.

Does Sonic Forces make you nostalgic?

Whatever the WhoCares

Of what's been shown of Sonic Forces, does anything make you nostalgic?

I was listening to (and cringing at) that Infinite theme, and it kind of made me reflect on the game in general. With its dark imagery, edgy villain, presence of Shadow and Chaos, hard rock main theme, and nu-metal villain theme, it strongly evokes the early 2000s style of how Sonic is conveyed and presented. Yes there are differences, but the overall effect just hits a deeply nostalgic chord for me. I wasnt there for the classic games, but I was at that perfectly impressionable age when I played SA2. 

Not even in the least.

There's nothing to make me nostalgic when they've already milked that cow.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nostalgic in the sense that I'm like "man remember when this series had like no solid direction and haphazardly threw shit at a wall to see what stuck (which was usually nothing, the wall remained unblemished)?" 

Good times, except not really. 

Also Classic Sonic/his levels which lost its nostalgic charm to me a long time ago so it means nothing to me 

• Thumbs Up 2

Classic stuff never meant anything to me, so no in that end.

I'm only cautiously interested about the attempt to be Adventure to Unleashed era in terms of tone and story at best.

By the time Forces is out, it will have been a whole three months since Green Hill's last appearance. I know know I can't wait for that! And who didn't go into nostalgia overdrive when Zavok, everyone's favourite villain, was revealed to be returning?

• Thumbs Up 5

I really feel like the Sonic going on for the last five years is far not that Sonic I knew. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not, but the whole franchise is renewed and I don't see if it will ever be like what it was a couple of years ago. There's nothing to be nostalgic about, for me.

Eh, I'll admit that having character themes back does hold sentimental value for me; seeing as we haven't had one of those in about a decade. Also, seeing Chaos Zero again is pretty cool too.

Other than that, we just saw both Classic Sonic and GHZ in both Generations and Mania so they're far from missed in my book. With the rest of the stuff being new, that's about where my nostalgia ends with the stuff we've seen so far.

I get it OP.  This fanfic extravaganza of a game is the exact Sonic game I wanted when I was a teenager, edgy and serious but not grimdark like Shadow or super flawed like 2006 (which at the time, I enjoyed the story of until plotholes and stuff happened).

I can completely cast my mind back to that era of Sonic and be nostalgic for it, I'm completely down with seeing the more lively, colourful and animated modern Sonic style be applied to that sort of game.  I just hope it's good to play at this point, that's the only issue I'm currently concerned about.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Kinda.

I mean, hearing cheesy vocal songs and a serious story DOES bring me back memories from the early 2000s Sonic games, since I was a just little kid when I played them. Oh, yeah, and fuck Green Hll Zone btw. I don't want to see that shit ever again after Forces.

• Promotion 1

The music is the only thing making me nostalgic. I missed the rock and heavy metal with vocals in Sonic games. And Infinite's over the top edginess does bring a smile to my face. 

I hate what they did to Green Hill Zone though. Not only does it not look right, but they changed the music too. That's not the Green Hill Zone I know. If this is what they're gonna do to all the other classic stages, I'm not looking forward to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't really feel nostalgia when I can play any old game (and also they've beaten the classic era nostalgia to death). I recognize elements but I don't think "oh that takes me back" and that might be the point. If Forces is doing what I think / want them to do, they're going back to old places to warp and twist them, unlike Generations and Mania, where it's more about giving a new look or spin.

5 hours ago, JezMM said:

I get it OP.  This fanfic extravaganza of a game is the exact Sonic game I wanted when I was a teenager, edgy and serious but not grimdark like Shadow or super flawed like 2006 (which at the time, I enjoyed the story of until plotholes and stuff happened).

I can completely cast my mind back to that era of Sonic and be nostalgic for it, I'm completely down with seeing the more lively, colourful and animated modern Sonic style be applied to that sort of game.  I just hope it's good to play at this point, that's the only issue I'm currently concerned about.

That's basically what I was getting at. I find weird, dark plot points with glove-wearing animals to be intrinsically ridiculous like most of us seem to, but that's not really the point. This is the Sonic of my elementary years. This is the game I played on a GameCube through a CRT display. My parents were upstairs watching news updates about Afghanistan, and meanwhile I was obliviously feeding Chao. 

It's ironic that the parts of this game that intend to instill nostalgia, do no such thing for me, while the stuff that's "new" is exactly where it hits. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

By the time Forces is out, it will have been a whole three months since Green Hill's last appearance. I know know I can't wait for that! And who didn't go into nostalgia overdrive when Zavok, everyone's favourite villain, was revealed to be returning?

635807161109124288-167399039_was-that-sarcasm.jpg.7aceb4ce97f415412a709dcdcb1c48da.jpg

Well it makes me nostalgic of the time heroes and shadow the hedgehog was coming out and heroes was my favorite game at that time. Plus, else when the games had most of the cast.

Very slightly for the modern things like characters and the cheesy music but not the classic side.

In fact the classic stuff is actually one of the things I don't like about it since it both does nothing for me and has been over and over again and I'm getting sick of it. Especially green hill and chemical plant.

Forces is more like the antithesis of nostalgic to me, parts of it reminding me of the worst parts of the series' history, other parts desperately trying to evoke nostalgia, but completely failing due to overuse and heavy handed methods.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Classic Sonic's inclusion might be a saving grace on gameplay, but I mean... it's gonna pale in comparison to Mania, which set the bar ridiculously high. I don't think Forces is competent enough to truly evoke nostalgia for the high points of the series, and will only offer an imitation of something it doesn't really understand.

I do, however, think that it's going to remind us of the series' dark ages, with its hackneyed attempts at a "serious" plot and tryhard villains, if Infinite is anything to go by.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm gonna be honest.

Infinite doesn't really strike me as any more "tryhard" than a majority of Saturday morning cartoon villains. Yes, he's deliberately over the top in how evil he is, but his appearance is that of a fantasy cartoon monster. He's not a giant demonic entity that turns into a Final Fantasy endboss, he's not an alien cospaying as a JRPG villain, he's not an eldritch abomination sealed beneath the earth whose eyes squirt green blood.

If people think he's evocative of 2000's era villains I'd question how well people actually remember the likes of Mephiles and Black Doom because the only thing that makes him resemble them is a vaguely similar aesthetic that's only reminiscent of them because it uses dark colors and sharp angles, which are general design elements for villains anyway. But aside from that he looks like a cross between a Sonic character and a god danged Noivern.

So... no, he doesn't really make me nostalgic for that era at all. If he's similar to anyone, it's Neo Metal Sonic, and he comes from one of the lightest games in the modern Sonic era. Yeah, he's deliberately "edgy"... in the same way Zoroark from Pokemon and DC villains called "Darkseid" are. He's a cartoon character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nostalgic? What for? Classic Sonic? Green Hill Zone? I feel nothing but annoyance from their inclusion and mishandling.

Forces is a nostalgic game for the 00s crowd. Vocal themes, angsty villain reminiscent of that Nazo fan character people loved, Chaos is back, story is uber serious guys for real I swear, even the gameplay is automated yet again in favor of the setpieces of Adventure days of yore. It's just a Chao Garden short of a fanservice fantasy. 

For the early-mid 2000s.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Infinite's theme song and his trailer reminded me of all the Sonic AMVs that played Linkin Park and Evanescence back in Youtube's early years. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Nostalgic? What for? Classic Sonic? Green Hill Zone? I feel nothing but annoyance from their inclusion and mishandling.

Forces is a nostalgic game for the 00s crowd. Vocal themes, angsty villain reminiscent of that Nazo fan character people loved, Chaos is back, story is uber serious guys for real I swear, even the gameplay is automated yet again in favor of the setpieces of Adventure days of yore. It's just a Chao Garden short of a fanservice fantasy. 

For the early-mid 2000s.

I'd totally get nostalgic over a game that was a decent throwback to the Adventures. though. Forces isn't that. It's a mess.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

My edgy tryhard 15 year old self would have loved this game, if that counts for anything. 

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

For the early-mid 2000s.

I mean, if this is a hearkening back to the Adventure games, I'm willing to forgive everything else if Eggman is playable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I'd buy this game DAY ONE if it was one half Modern Sonic and one half Eggman in his mech teaming up to save the world from tryhard OCs.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 3