Awoo.

Does Sonic Forces make you nostalgic?

Whatever the WhoCares

No, sonic mania is nostalgia because it is more true to what that was

Forces is just... throwing a bunch of " do you remember this" together with no real direction or artistic cohesion. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It's nostalgic if you grew up on the Dreamcast titles and loved the psuedo-Anime, photo-realistic, and rock music from that era. As well as  the more complex plots and deeper characterizations. Otherwise, if you hated those elements, they're just going to irk you and remind you of the series` shortcomings.

Its funny because I grew up in said era, Sonic Adventure 2 being my first game in the series...but then something happened, I got Mega Collection and realized what playing good games was like. And the rest was history. So...Forces makes me nostalgic, but for the wrong reasons. Yes, I liked the character themes and more complex attempts at plot of the mid 2000 titles, but even I can't deny that this series is notoriously bad at handling such elements, even in the games that aren't as terrible as Shadow or 06.

So looking at Forces doesn't make me think "Oh, it's just like the games I liked when I was 13-15 years old" but rather "They're going to fuck it up like they did when I was 13-15 years old" 

• Thumbs Up 4

Regarding the Classic elements? Hell no, was never that nostalgic to begin with to me and the more they shove it down in our throats, the even less it'll get.

Regarding the Adventure Era vibe? Pretty much as everyone else hit the nail on the head with the vocal themes, rock music, serious story, talking in levels, etc.

Frankly, I'm actually grateful to see these elements come back especially considering I grew up in the 2000s and enjoyed those games.

I'd do anything to see Adventure elements come back in the series, and we get rid of the Classic pandering, I think the games would actually be refreshing for a change.

This feels a lot more in line with the clusterfuck era (2004-2006) to me, throwing in Classic elements and dark characters and all manner of disparate ideas, rather than the Adventures themselves.

I guess we'll see for sure when it's out.  

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Pawn said:

This feels a lot more in line with the clusterfuck era (2004-2006) to me, throwing in Classic elements and dark characters and all manner of disparate ideas, rather than the Adventures themselves.

I guess we'll see for sure when it's out.  

"The Clusterfuck Era". I like that. I've always felt that SA1 a relatively natural evolution of the Classics, even if it did try to steer things in another direction. SA2 straight up continued on that path at full force, whilst Heroes was the nostalgia-game of the day (remember when you first saw the checkerboard pattern in Seaside Hill?). It was after that, with Shadow and '06 that things went well and truly off the rails without any saving graces. And the series has been flip-flopping and settling for mediocrity ever since Unleashed really drove a wedge between critics and fans. Forces is only bringing back the worst of the franchise, which is barmy because there's a lot that could be brought back from the Adventures to great effect.

• Thumbs Up 5

No it doesn't. The features that it does present to evoke nostalgia is poorly executed and are things we've seen before that were executed significantly better anyways. The only thing that evokes nostalgia for me is Chaos, but he hasn't been shown since the Adventure days.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

"The Clusterfuck Era". I like that. I've always felt that SA1 a relatively natural evolution of the Classics, even if it did try to steer things in another direction. SA2 straight up continued on that path at full force, whilst Heroes was the nostalgia-game of the day (remember when you first saw the checkerboard pattern in Seaside Hill?). It was after that, with Shadow and '06 that things went well and truly off the rails without any saving graces. And the series has been flip-flopping and settling for mediocrity ever since Unleashed really drove a wedge between critics and fans. Forces is only bringing back the worst of the franchise, which is barmy because there's a lot that could be brought back from the Adventures to great effect.

Ive long felt the same way about SA1, even though they didn't nail the gameplay then either. SA2 is definitely what started most of the memes that exist about Modern Sonic and even back then I was like "This is okay but I hope it's not the new norm..." What makes the situation worse is that there is an entire generations of fans who were like 7 in 2002-2003, and swear by those games even though they get critically panned. I don't know how else you fix modern sonic without staying far away from those kind of elements. 

4 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Ive long felt the same way about SA1, even though they didn't nail the gameplay then either. SA2 is definitely what started most of the memes that exist about Modern Sonic and even back then I was like "This is okay but I hope it's not the new norm..." What makes the situation worse is that there is an entire generations of fans who were like 7 in 2002-2003, and swear by those games even though they get critically panned. I don't know how else you fix modern sonic without staying far away from those kind of elements. 

By not using them stupidly, unfortunately we're stuck with Sonic Team.

Really, it boils down three things. 

• Music clearly evoking the Adventure Era and for me at the very least, hitting the vocal tracks really well. I'm not going to lie, listened to Infinite's and Avatar's Park Avenue a lot when they were released online.
  • The story 'Trying' (massive air quotes) to call back to the Adventure era with it's more 'serious' but 'light hearted' tone. Basically it's trying to be a Sonic Adventure 2 but with the tone of Sonic Colors. Uh...hope that works out for them.
  • Infinite reminds me of Shadow...in the good way thankfully. I don't think he's super edgy but rather, something of a mysterious creature. If the game was in the hands of competent writers, I would be hyped for his backstory being in-depth and his motivations being strong...but it's in the writers of Sonic 06 and the translation being done by the Colors/Lost World guys. Sooo...I can be somewhat excited for Infinite, but not really. Hope the fan-community makes great stories with the character though.

Note how I don't mention the returning zones and Classic Sonic; Mania does that a LOT better. That is a really baffling point with Forces; Classic WILL FEEL better in Mania compared to Force's version of the character. The Classic levels look blocky and boring in Forces, a stark contrast to the massive levels Mania offers. Classic's inclusion is a problem, as a much better version of it will be home in another game, a cheaper one I should point out. 

When the game is trying to harken back to the Early 2000's period of Sonic, great. But do the WHOLE PACKAGE. Return to the Adventure gameplay, have more playable characters again (that play JUST LIKE Sonic but with slight differences ala Shadow and Tails), have a balanced plot, and explore original locations. But trying to appeal to both the Adventure fans and the Classic fans, is a bad call I think. It worked for Generations, as the Modern gameplay was a great test bed to see what Classic and Adventure era stages can work within that style of level design and gameplay. With Forces, it just feels....hallow. As if they wanted to make the fabled SA3 but didn't out of 'fear' or something. 

Forces brings me back to the 2000's, both the good and the bad. The bad, has me worried. It looks unfocused, messy and troubled. Just like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06. With the modern formula, I can thank god that the game won't be as BAD as those games. But it's a shame they couldn't home-in-more on the specific qualities the fanbased loves from Adventure and Adventure 2. 

• Thumbs Up 8

21 hours ago, RK64 said:

When the game is trying to harken back to the Early 2000's period of Sonic, great. But do the WHOLE PACKAGE. Return to the Adventure gameplay, have more playable characters again (that play JUST LIKE Sonic but with slight differences ala Shadow and Tails), have a balanced plot, and explore original locations. But trying to appeal to both the Adventure fans and the Classic fans, is a bad call I think. It worked for Generations, as the Modern gameplay was a great test bed to see what Classic and Adventure era stages can work within that style of level design and gameplay. With Forces, it just feels....hallow. As if they wanted to make the fabled SA3 but didn't out of 'fear' or something. 

They want to have their cake and eat it too with Forces. They try to invoke the feeling of the Adventure era but not actually using those elements from the Adventure era.

That's what pisses me off Classic fans get their own game with Mania, but people who wanted another adventure feeling game have to settle for Classic pandering and the other characters on the sidelines again. And I'm done with settling.

• Thumbs Up 1