Awoo.

PROSI - Physics-Based Platformer IDEA.

Popponic

For quite a few years, since around 2012-13, I had been thinking of developing a platformer using physic-based gameplay. I think you can guess the game that inspired me, Sonic the Hedgehog 1. As a kid, I never got to be around for the beginning in 1991, but in the 2000s I was given the SEGA Mega Drive Collection; where I took a particular liking to Sonic. I had longed for a Sonic level editor that accurately used the Sonic physics and gimmicks, not like the PlaySEGA game. However, I decided that maybe I should take a shot through an original game.

This game is PROSI.

The story is quite bland so far in my opinion, but it works to get the base idea across. A crystal said to harness special power and be related to a god; the Prosite. Unbeknownst to the god, turning a certain bat into a humanoid form meant nothing but trouble. This bat, named Spectre decided to form an group to take control of the island of Hectane. The Dawning Empire he called it, it took over most of the island and a few months later; the Prosite decides to transform another bat into this form, making sure it isn't evil. With the task of taking out Spectre, this bat, Ender, sets out across Hectane, encountering many enemies and members of The Dawning Empire.

Ender is mainly similar to Sonic through speed, however he comes with his own set of skills also similar to other classic sonic characters. He can glide with his wings, as the transformation has somehow removed the ability for flight with these wings. Ender can also use a grapple hook later on to grapple to points and swing to higher paths. Later he gains the ability to grind with an extension on his boots, with his gloves gaining a wall jumping ability as well. This skill-set is not final, so some characteristics may disappear, be replaced or be added.

Currently the only help I would be asking for is suggestions, feedback and potentially artists; I don't need artists too much at this stage, as a final design hasn't been reached.

Unfortunately I do not have any art or screenshots, if this belongs somewhere else please move it. I do have detailed explanations of each level and even boss in the game, so if you want a slice of that, I can freely post at least one summary of a level/boss.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shade Vortex

• Popponic

• blueblur98

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest and only suggestion is this: If you're making a game, it's a terrible idea to even talk about it at a stage where all you have is ideas. In game development circles, an "ideas" person is effectively worthless because after presented the ideas, they practically do nothing on the actual development side of things. It's going to be tough recruiting for such a project if you have literally nothing to show for/with it. Any developer worth their salt at least has concept art, a playable test of the game's mechanics, and most importantly, a solid foundation to begin with.

I myself know the feeling of wanting to talk about cool ideas you get, but talking about them too early can be a huge issue, but so too can it be a problem if you talk too much in detail about the specifics of what'll happen (don't give too much to the story away, for example).

what a coincidence! i want to make a platformer too! your idea sounds pretty cool, it could be a fun game. unity is a pretty great engine for beginners, you should check it out. i'll be using it for my project.