Awoo.

Sonic Crushes <3

Wraith

Mania spoilers below!

04ec0Rp.jpg

The crusher on the far right is bad.  Just bad.  The first time playing through I had no idea they were there, so I go in full speed (since some boss fights don't activate until you're at the far end of the play field), then suddenly the crusher lifts me and squishes me against the ceiling, costing me a life.  Like, I get that visually, the crusher blockading you is supposed to foreshadow how the crushers scattered throughout the rest of the boss fight come down on you, but we had an ENTIRE level of these beforehand.  So the message is pretty well received at this point.  Then, you could argue that the crusher going down shows that it will open a pathway after you defeat the boss.  But it's a 2D platformer and late in the game at that.  I think I get the hint that you're supposed to go right.

It's not the worst example of these, but they're still pretty annoying.  The crusher should have been down already as opposed to only going down once you arrive just to prevent this kind of stupid thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gonna play devil's advocate here: I think crushing is -needed- to retain some form of danger in the level. You've got the whole ring system which is a big 'fuck you I can't die' to any enemies that hit you and whatnot. Just with that you get a LOT more chances at living(or 1 if you can't get your rings back), so crushing serves as that 'bypasser' that instills caution. You get crushed, you get fucked.

Above poster makes a good point though, I too was guilty of dying by moving too far to the right and getting 'crushed'. Hit detection is wonky, but hopefully the team patch that out along with other things.

TLDR: Crushing itself doesn't need to go, but collision boxes could be more accurate.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

*ahem*

*koff koff*

*sniffle*

*koff*

Titanic Monarch Act 1.

*drops mic, walks away*

but seriously, you know the section i'm talking about, such a huge pace breaker. what the fuuuuuuck is it.

I know section you mean, and getting crushed there is indeed annoying and unfair. But personally, I find the cylindrical platforms that move up and down in act 2 to be much riskier and even more frustrating.

Crushing hazards as obstacles need to be gotten rid of. They're never good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mania in general is particularly bad about crushing. Seems like bits where you'd still have a frame or so worth of time to escape in the classics get ya crushed in Mania. Not a huge flaw, but it certainly got int he way of the flow in annoying ways for me a few times.

Yeah; I'm not a fan of them, either.  They seem like they're part of the continuum also including floating lava platforms, Big the Cat, mech shooting, the Werehog, and forced 2d sections in 3D games, that exist mainly to slow down, and thus pad out, Sonic games.  While these sorts of obstacles might be good if they were part of challenges that involve good timing and running fast enough, too often they just mandate complete stops and then relatively slow resumption of the pace.  Unless you're somehow so terrible at the game that you can't get sonic under a crusher that's only about twice as wide as he is, and a lot slower, there's no real gameplay involved with such a scenario; merely an interruption from gameplay during the times the crusher is blocking Sonic's path. That's most of what these things do; not crush, but block.

I agree that the series could do with less crushing deaths. I always die by getting crushed unexpectedly in Lava Reef (both in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Mania) and Titanic Monarch.