Awoo.

Nakamura states that the content of Forces' script won't change between USA and Japan

Mad0Mura

I'm glad Nakamura realizes and acknowledges that people have been worried by the localizations because of their poor quality in the past. 

https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/898913281586286593

Edit: He also posted this, and I'm not 100% sure what it means:

https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/898912390716178432

https://twitter.com/SonicJPNews/status/898912442624770050

• Thumbs Up 1

RE: the last two, sounds like revisions were made made based on input from people in the US (presumably the localization team)? That's my best guess, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Celestia said:

RE: the last two, sounds like revisions were made made based on input from people in the US (presumably the localization team)? That's my best guess, anyway.

Sounds like it. I hope said revisions don't negatively affect the script.

Edit: Nakamura also said there will be new Forces news this coming week. 

I'll give Nakamura this, he does seem like he tried to make sure that no localization shenenigans affected the writing, which is good since that's been a problem in the 3D games since the very beginning.

I'm still doubtful that he can deliver a well written story, but I guess I'll ride this out, see where it goes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

Saw this yesterday makes me more hype for this game glad he's definitely keeping both versions in mind to both be as faithful to each other makes me hype for the Forces news this week!

I'll be happy if they are trying to rain in the English translations to make them closer to the JP ones.

Even though the plots may still not be brilliant, the JP versions are still better than the US/EU ones. Colours is an example of what I mean where the JP was better in a number of ways.

I'm just hoping that the story will be more interesting than recent modern Sonic games games but after Generations and Lost World, that's not something that should be too hard to do.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

5 hours ago, Mad0Mura said:

poor quality

"I hate everyone acts like that's some hive mind thing everyone agrees on. I'd take Pontaff anyday over any of the bland garbage Adventure scripts.

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

"I hate everyone acts like that's some hive mind thing everyone agrees on. I'd take Pontaff anyday over any of the bland garbage Adventure scripts.

I meant "poor quality" IMO, not objectively. I am personally not fond of the jokes and way in which Sonic is written to try to make him sound cool. I'm just fond of the pre-2011 approach to Sonic's stories and want a return back to more serious plots with more stakes. However, I actually feel that some of the characters are more consistently written with Pontaff's scripts, but I'm not a fan of those scripts at all.  

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

As long as it's not a stand-up show dissected as in "Shattered Crystal", there might be something to go with it.

I'd just like the fact they'd do it a bit more... respectful towards the world Sonic's supposed to live in and like enough to try and save it all the time. The way they deliver the story fits to Modern Sonic's smirk-face in a way it makes me feel Sonic's not snarky but cynical and doesn't believe the world he's existing in.

What I'd like to see is the stuff delivered in a way that makes me to become a part of the story by sucking me in by taking its world seriously and treating it in something else than just a scene for a big comedy routine.

I'm not too certain why but Pontaff-esque humour doesn't make me feel like I'm being sucked in. Adventure series does it better for me.

Again, just my humble opinion, and by all means jokes can still exist as long as the world is treated with a respect it needs for delivering a feeling characters actually believe in their world.

Sorry about the language barrier again...

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

I hope they manage to achieve a balance. I mean, Pontacc and Graff aren't BAD writers by any stretch; a lot of their dialogue is witty and full of personality. They just don't know when to reign it in. Cut back a bit on the forced humor, and I think the dialogue will be really good at best, inoffensive at worst.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Really cause I feel the opposite way. I think the writing of Pontaff is more try hard than anything from Adventure era.

• Thumbs Up 4

Try hard is a complete mockery of the idea of working to achieve goals. There is not trying hard, only trying wrong. And either way, I wouldn't say Pontaff is trying super-hard as it is.

More importantly, this is really a good thing for everyone involved. Pontaff's biggest problems come from filling space and getting very little done with their character writing, but since Forces actually has a noticably-present plot, they'll need to do more with the dialogue they've got. 

I mean I'm sure the plot will be stupid, it's Sonic after all, but if they get the characters right, I'm sold.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I sure hope this ends up being the case. I strongly prefer the works of the Japanese writers over Pontaff. If they do little more than translate, I think the game will be much better off. I personally didn't have many major issues with the script of 06, as convoluted as it was. Colors, on the other hand, was a cringe fest IMO. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1