Awoo.

Sonic Mania Sales Thread

Zippo

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/08/ps-store-augusts-top-downloads/

#3 on the PSN charts for PS4 (US). #1 was Madden, #2 was Hellblade. Beat Uncharted's digital sales.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/09/08/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-was-the-bestselling-game-on-playstation-store-in-august/

Slightly weaker in Europe, hit #8. The text suggests it was #6 at some point? Idk. 

Sonic Mania was the number one best selling game in the NA and EU Eshop during August, reportedly. It's holding steady at number 2 as we speak.

DI4IjGuVAAASUU7?format=jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

• 3 weeks later...

A quick list of Mania's eShop weekly chart listings since its debut. Source is from Nintendo Everything (charts are North America, they also update on Fridays):

8/17 - #1

8/24 - #1

8/31 - #1

9/7 - #2 (#1 was Mario + Rabbids)

9/14 - #2 (#1 was Mario + Rabbids)

9/21 - #2 (#1 was NBA 2K18)

Due to how it's consistently held the #2 spot on the charts, it's possible that Mania could again be the #1 best-selling Switch eShop game of the month. Mania's sales potential will likely be most visible here, and maybe on the PSN; as it's largely tapered off and/or not made any noticeable splash on the MS Store and Steam.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing Sonic Mania be so successful has made me very happy. I like seeing this kind of achievement for the franchise, hopefully this could mean more good things are to come for Sonic. *cough another Sonic Mania*. <3

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news about Mania's sales

http://steamspy.com/app/584400

According to steamspy, owner of Sonic Mania's copy is just 120k. It means that It sold only 120k copies in Steam. 

edit. : In addition, I heard that console version of Mania sold only 200k. though there is no evidence about it. so believe it or not

22 minutes ago, A235 said:

Bad news about Mania's sales

http://steamspy.com/app/584400

According to steamspy, owner of Sonic Mania's copy is just 120k. It means that It sold only 120k copies in Steam. 

edit. : In addition, I heard that console version of Mania sold only 200k. though there is no evidence about it. so believe it or not

PC version was released two weeks after the console versions and had the Denuvo DRM controversy, so it was handicapped from the start. A lot of people either ignore or gloss over this fact when citing the SteamSpy numbers.

SteamSpy is also the only source we have for hard numbers for any version of Mania, Sega has yet to release any official sales numbers. They are planning to release IR reports on their fiscal second quarter report in early November, so we might get something then.

I've been hearing people claim people told them that Mania sold poorly in recent weeks, but nobody's providing any sources. Best to take those claims with a full measuring cup of salt.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Yeow said:

PC version was released two weeks after the console versions and had the Denuvo DRM controversy, so it was handicapped from the start. A lot of people either ignore or gloss over this fact when citing the SteamSpy numbers.

SteamSpy is also the only source we have for hard numbers for any version of Mania, Sega has yet to release any official sales numbers. They are planning to release IR reports on their fiscal second quarter report in early November, so we might get something then.

I've been hearing people claim people told them that Mania sold poorly in recent weeks, but nobody's providing any sources. Best to take those claims with a full measuring cup of salt.

Yep, we will get something from Q2 report. I'm waiting it too.

By the way, what is Denuvo DRM controversy?

Edit. Next Sega's financial report will be released on November 2. 

http://kabuyoho.ifis.co.jp/index.php?sa=report_chg&bcode=6460

12 minutes ago, Yeow said:

Don't know if this would help

For August's top downloads on PSN Mania was number 3 https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/08/ps-store-augusts-top-downloads/

For September the game wasn't even on the list https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/10/06/playstation-store-septembers-top-downloads-2/

15 minutes ago, A235 said:

Yep, we will get something from Q2 report. I'm waiting it too.

By the way, what is Denuvo DRM controversy?

Edit. Next Sega's financial report will be released on November 2. 

http://kabuyoho.ifis.co.jp/index.php?sa=report_chg&bcode=6460

The Steam version of Mania was revealed to have had Denuvo DRM the moment the game went live, without Sega telling anyone prior that the Steam version of the game would have it. For comparison's sake, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, which was released close to Mania, had the developers reveal the PC version would have Denuvo a week before release. 

It's also been suspected that the addition of Denuvo was the real reason the PC version was announced to have been pushed back two weeks after the console versions of the game (as opposed to "optimization issues", though there are rumors that people with Steam review codes claimed Mania on Steam was in a messy state). Taxman and Stealth are on record for saying they had no involvement in the decision to add Denuvo to the PC version.

In a pretty telling move, Sega made sure to let Steam know well in advance (a month ago) that the PC version of Forces would come with Denuvo, compared to how they handled the situation with Mania.

• Thumbs Up 4

While it's definitly true Steam's sales took a dive from the 2 weeks of delay and DRM nonsense, I can't help but notice that practically all my friends who were interested in Sonic Mania were planning on getting the Steam version because most of them didn't have the money for a new system yet. So I can't entirely dismiss the relevance of the low Steam sales.

Yeah, it's going to be real interesting to see how well Mania did, I have no idea. Can't wait for those reports.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Mania performed really well then.

Good. Hopefully this is enough to greenlight more classic-style games by Taxman and crew. Mania was excellent, and I'm sure another game in the same vein by the same team would be amazing.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I suppose my question would be what kind of expectations a non-triple A title like Sonic Mania would expect to earn. I assume the development and the marketing for the game cost significantly less than Sonic Forces will have.

Honestly, I can't help but wonder how valuable the (mostly) good PR from Sonic Mania is seen as.

On 02/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, Yeow said:

"In the packaged game software field, sales amounted to 8,650 thousand copies (4,650 thousand copies for the same period in the previous fiscal year) thanks to the strength of the new title 'SONIC MANIA,' which earned the highest Metascore in the new titles of the 'SONIC' series released in the past 15 years."

Dumb question, does that mean 8m or 865k?

36 minutes ago, Korke said:

Dumb question, does that mean 8m or 865k?

1000 times 1000 is one million.

So 8650k is 8.650 million.

I hope Sonic Mania reaches over a million eventually. Perhaps it already has, but then you’d think Sega would bring it up. This game deserves all the sales! 

I honestly wished they would say the exact sales figures for the game is. 

• Thumbs Up 6