Awoo.

Sonic Mania Sales Thread

Zippo

1 hour ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

There's no way it hasn't cleared 1 million. 

I don't think it has. If it did the Sonic Twitter would of most likely announced it by now.

32 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I don't think it has. If it did the Sonic Twitter would of most likely announced it by now.

Sonic Twitter probably just doesn't announce everything.

47 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Sonic twitter only knows what the company tells it, since it's largely a low ranking PR guy.

I dunno, I doubt that it cleared a million as well. I think it sold well, but... I don't think it sold AS well as a lot of people think it did.

It seems to me that when it came out, a small-to-medium-size but very loud group of people were VERY happy about it and praised it to no end... but I dunno, I don't think a ton of people actually went out and bought the game itself.

Could be wrong, of course. -shrugs- That's just the feeling I get.

I hope it passed a million, but I'm pretty sure Steam and Xbox One sales were quite low thanks to Denuvo in the former and the latter never being a platform Sonic sells on. It likely did best on the Switch. I'm very curious to know the actual numbers though, because as good as the game is, I have my doubts that it did as well as people think it did, and if it somehow didn't sell well, then I wonder what that would mean for the future of these types of games. Hopefully a Mania 2 sees more aggressive marketing. Spill the beans already, SEGA. 

30 minutes ago, FriesWithoutKetchup said:

I dunno, I doubt that it cleared a million as well. I think it sold well, but... I don't think it sold AS well as a lot of people think it did.

It seems to me that when it came out, a small-to-medium-size but very loud group of people were VERY happy about it and praised it to no end... but I dunno, I don't think a ton of people actually went out and bought the game itself.

Could be wrong, of course. -shrugs- That's just the feeling I get.

It's certainly possible. After all, download only title with small scale marketing. 

It's important that we see this though. If it hasn't done that well in sales and forces does (and forces also does OK in reviews) then I think it'd be best if SEGA focuses in that direction for the future bug budget titles. They will have proven that they don't need to appease traditional sonic fans anymore to have some success and it's for the best since they no longer have the talent for that anyway.

1 hour ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

It's certainly possible. After all, download only title with small scale marketing. 

It's important that we see this though. If it hasn't done that well in sales and forces does (and forces also does OK in reviews) then I think it'd be best if SEGA focuses in that direction for the future bug budget titles. They will have proven that they don't need to appease traditional sonic fans anymore to have some success and it's for the best since they no longer have the talent for that anyway.

As a small budget title, not hitting a million might not be that bad. 

Forces will sell more. If I'm wrong....

I'll play Sonic 06 except just the loading screens for an hour.

4 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Fair point.  If it just makes a respectable return on its budget, that might be enough.  However, we're unlikely to find out if that's the case...

7 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Forces will sell more. If I'm wrong....

I'll play Sonic 06 except just the loading screens for an hour.

To this day I have not done a full playthrough of Sonic 06. I tried the demo on xbox 360 back then and haven't touched it since. I've been a sonic fan my entire life but I'm not keen on rewarding a company when they don't prioritize quality. I've bought most mainline Sonic games in my life even if they weren't the direction I wanted from them (and to be perfectly honest, that was probably a mistake) but refused games like '06 and boom. They're not entitled to our money and support. They must always earn it, every single time.

I'm very interested to learn the internal development history of Forces, because at this point it's hard for me to tell if this is the product Sonic Team actually really wanted or if they were just stuck and knew they had to put something out. My current hypothesis is that they're really just testing the waters for a new direction for Sonic (which I've nentioned before) one that frees them from having to cater to traditional sonic fans. The popularity of Forces will be a very important indicator for them and it's why they keep saying "it's going to be an important year for Sonic". My current hypothesis anyway.

But if Forces turns out to be Sonic '06-like in its development history, where the proper resources were just not given to the game and Sonic Team just chucked an idea at the wall and it doesn't sell too great, I won't buy any more sonic games until a new development team is allowed to work on the game. 

11 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

It's a 50/50 chance, because... sure, the Cuphead devs' twitter did happily announce that they surpassed 1mil sales in one week and some days of release, saying thanks to all supporters.... but maybe that's not meant to be announced for Sonic.

Although at the same time, I believe that Whitehead & Cia would happily announce it as well, should it did reach 1mil or other insane numbers.

Out of curiosity, how is the game doing compared to physical copy titles? I don't follow the video game industry enough to know how much downloadable games sell compared to stuff you can buy in stores. Do games released on disc sell better than downloadable only titles? If so, how would Mania compare? Is it selling better than your typical downloadable title or about average?

And, from just what's been mentioned on this page, I realize that it sounds like we don't actually have sales information right now. Just questions I have in general once that information does become available.

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

Out of curiosity, how is the game doing compared to physical copy titles? I don't follow the video game industry enough to know how much downloadable games sell compared to stuff you can buy in stores. Do games released on disc sell better than downloadable only titles? If so, how would Mania compare? Is it selling better than your typical downloadable title or about average?

Games with physical releases usually have a better chance of selling more than games with digital releases, doing so since they typically have a larger audience reach in their distribution and their marketing push. Games with physical releases have an array of promotional tools to utilize--including but not limited to TV commercials, posters, banners, giant cutouts, billboards, print/magazine ads, online ads, and viral marketing. Games with exclusives digital releases usually only have a fraction of those promotional tools (online ads and viral marketing). The majority of the aforementioned promotional tools used by games with physical releases are also made for general / non-gaming mediums and specific / gaming mediums; games with digital exclusive releases might only be able to use those promotional tools for mediums that are specific / gaming mediums. And it goes without saying that games with physical releases can be seen and picked up by anyone / general audiences when they go into any store that sells (new) games. Whereas games that only have digital releases are usually targeted towards and are accessed by (hard)core gaming / specific audiences, they have a significantly more limited scope.

19 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

How has crash n sane trilogy done for that matter? Could be somewhat of a barometer for Mania.

Crash N-Sane has sold over 2.5 million copies by late September (roughly three months after its release). But N-Sane had a different marketing campaign and distribution strategy compared to Mania; and as I just noted, physical (+ digital) games and digital games have quite some major differences. (There are also differences between N-Sane and Mania in marketing/distribution outside of physical/digital releases, such as Crash being a console exclusive vs. Mania being a multiplatform release.)

I think a better barometer would be seeing how quickly Mania gets to selling one million copies/downloads compared to the last classic Sonic effort in Sonic 4: Episode I; which after a year after that game's release, was announced to had sold over one million downloads across all four platforms it was available on at the time (PS3, 360, Wii, and iOS).

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

DP6WwwpW0AAshrR?format=jpg

And there we are. Sonic Mania is the best selling Sonic game in the last 15 years.

We can now say for certain that the game's sales are well into the millions.

Also, a sequel is all but confirmed at this point, not a surprise in the least, though.

Apparently they were talking about in terms of reviews not sales

• Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Apparently they were talking about in terms of reviews not sales

I think you interpreted that tweet backwards...the tweet was explaining that the "performed strongly / most popular Sonic title in 15 years" was about the sales, as it was placed in the summary of the results (sales) section, which is separate from the review section.

Super happy that Sonic Mania sold so well! Surely this means a sequel is on the horizon! =D Hopefully we get only new stages in the next Mania and not 4 new stages and a load of Retro ones. 

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Sky The Destroyer said:

I think you interpreted that tweet backwards...the tweet was explaining that the "performed strongly / most popular Sonic title in 15 years" was about the sales, as it was placed in the summary of the results (sales) section, which is separate from the review section.

That's what I believe too. If "popular" just meant that it did well score-wise it wouldn't be in the sales section.

I believe it means that it's either getting a constant stream of sales, or it sold more than any other Sonic game in the last 15 years.

But I think they'd have said something by now if it sold more than Generations/Adventure 2.

Good to hear Mania's done great so far, though I have to admit I'm not surprised it was successful. I hope this means a sequel from the team and it's all about brand new stuff then I'll buy another four copies like I did with Mania.

3 hours ago, Sonikko said:

That's what I believe too. If "popular" just meant that it did well score-wise it wouldn't be in the sales section.

I believe it means that it's either getting a constant stream of sales, or it sold more than any other Sonic game in the last 15 years.

But I think they'd have said something by now if it sold more than Generations/Adventure 2.

I think I agree although I have been considering the idea that there may be (and likely is) a lot of internal politics going on right now that may be preventing full transparency. Sonic Team specifically said that Forces was designed to appeal to all gamers, not just diehard Sonic fans and yet Mania---the game "for fans" developed by a small group of indies---is the one which has had the strongest reception among general audiences. This has got to be  embarrassing for not only Sonic Team but also SEGA that this indie group was able to put out the best Sonic product in over 15 years on their first attempt, while Sonic Team continues to flounder, especially with Takashi IIzuka being higher up the food chain as vice president of product development.

Just a theory. There are undoubtedly lots of discussions being had though. If Mania did this well and Forces looks to be the epitome of a flop (4 years!) somebody at SEGA has probably got a few words to say about it. I'm basically waiting at this point to see what that is.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, rahkeesh said:

This is Sega. They have no idea why Mania works, they just know that it does. Expect another batch of remixed levels.

If Sega truly was (or continued to be) that cynical as to what they thought made Sonic games successful, why would they even bother giving Taxman, Stealth, and their friends at PWG the chance to design their own Sonic game in the first place? There was nothing stopping them from simply having ST/Dimps churning out more Sonic 4 episodes / numbered Sonic the Hedgehog sequels that would continue to miss the point. Or refusing to make any further classic Sonic games at all out of pure spite. Besides, Forces' reviews (and possibly its impeding sales performance) also prove that simply throwing recreated classic stages and the classic Sonic designs into your game isn't a free ticket to victory.

I'm still cautious on the idea that we might even get a sequel to Mania as it is, but considering they allowed Mania to exist in the first place (and were highly supportive of it in regards to promoting the game and delaying it for additional polish), I'd prefer to give them some benefit of the doubt that Sega aren't as completely out of touch and/or incompetent as they used to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Remixing levels, down to which levels to re-mix, was a major intervention that Sega themselves made in the project. I'd be shocked if they don't take credit for that and push it forward at least one more release. Indeed it would probably be awkward to still use the "mania" brand while abandoning that concept altogether.

Sonic 4 stopped because the sales weren't there for episode II. The graphics budget is likely higher there as well. (Though that may change for Mania 2.)

Actually Sonic 4 is a great example of their cluelessness. Its not really the pixel art, remixed zones, or classic sonic that make Mania the superior game, but I strongly doubt they can figure that out and apply it to future games. That's why they have to put their trust in a remote indie team in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

22 minutes ago, rahkeesh said:

Remixing levels, down to which levels to re-mix, was a major intervention that Sega themselves made in the project. I'd be shocked if they don't take credit for that and push it forward at least one more release. Indeed it would probably be awkward to still use the "mania" brand while abandoning that concept altogether.

Sonic 4 stopped because the sales weren't there for episode II. The graphics budget is likely higher there as well. (Though that may change for Mania 2.)

Actually Sonic 4 is a great example of their cluelessness. Its not really the pixel art, remixed zones, or classic sonic that make Mania the superior game, but I strongly doubt they can figure that out and apply it to future games. That's why they have to put their trust in a remote indie team in the first place.

I want to have confidence in Taxman’s ability to correct the few misdemeanors of Mania (the tone, the overly small cast, levels reused that have been seen too often in recent years, ignoring the US CD soundtrack completely, the lack of a sense of place) in the sequel.