Awoo.

Sonic Mania Sales Thread

Zippo

I won a copy of Plus so didn't have to buy it, but every supermarket I've been to hasn't had it. Quite odd. 

10 hours ago, PandaChao said:

I bought Sonic Mania so many times now....😳

Yep, me too. Switch Collectors Edition, Switch physical, Switch DLC, Steam, PS4  physical, Japanese PS4 physical, Japanese Switch physical. 

Totally excessive and unnecessary. I wouldn't rush out to tell anyone else to do the same; I just wanted to support the game in any way that I could, and also wanted copies for my collection. At the very least I bought the Switch DLC because it saved me from needing the card on the go, and I did so with points set to expire. It's not something I'll generally make a habit of either. Mania is just a very exceptional case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile, the physical version haven't arrived in stores around here yet, nor is the Plus DLC available on the PS Store. :(

More chart numbers are in from PAL this week, and Mania Plus is continuing its encore lap:

Opened at #3 overall in Australia across all units; and was respectively #3 in Switch charts, #5 in PS4 charts, and #7 in XBO charts.

In Germany, Mania Plus opened within the top ten spots for all three platforms, debuting at #5 on Xbox One, #6 on PS4, and #7 on Switch.

Opened at #4 overall in New Zealand across all units; and was #7 in the PS4 charts.

Opened at #9 overall in the Switzerland charts across all units.

Finally, back in the UK charts, Mania Plus only slid down a few spots, dropping from #5 last week to #8 this week. (Still not quite able to catch up to the bandicoot, who is still ruling the charts at number one.)

toot toot sonic warrior~ 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Still not in the supermarkets near me. Crash had big displays for its multiplatform release. 

49 minutes ago, Stasis said:

Still not in the supermarkets near me. Crash had big displays for its multiplatform release. 

I've seen it on display in Tesco, but haven't been to any other supermarkets lately so I'm not sure where else might have it. GAME had a big display for Mania facing the store entrance, where they had all platforms showing as £24.99. But then in the Switch section of the store the it was labelled as £29.99 (as you would expect considering the 'Switch tax').

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo revealed the top 30 most-downloaded Switch games in North America for last month--Sonic Mania ranked #8 on the list; undeniably thanks to the release of the Encore Pack DLC / the updated retail re-release of Mania Plus. According to Nintendo, the rankings are based on unit sales in July on the eShop. If you ask me, this could be a good signal as to how Mania Plus (on Switch) may have performed in the US last month, although we're still weeks away from obtaining a July NPD report. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2018 at 7:36 AM, Blue Blood said:

Yep, me too. Switch Collectors Edition, Switch physical, Switch DLC, Steam, PS4  physical, Japanese PS4 physical, Japanese Switch physical. 

Totally excessive and unnecessary. I wouldn't rush out to tell anyone else to do the same; I just wanted to support the game in any way that I could, and also wanted copies for my collection. At the very least I bought the Switch DLC because it saved me from needing the card on the go, and I did so with points set to expire. It's not something I'll generally make a habit of either. Mania is just a very exceptional case.

Yeah. I bought my second JP copy (on Switch this time) last week. So that makes four physical copies now...

• 2 weeks later...

Late news, but worth mentioning. In the UK, Mania Plus debuted at #13th best-selling game in the UK (all formats) last month (July 2018). Meanwhile in Spain, Mania Plus didn't make it in top 10 best-selling games in Spain (all-formats) charts July...but the game did sell well enough to appear in the monthly top 10 charts for all three platforms in the region--debuting at #8 on Xbox One, and #9 on both PS4 and Switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of sales, I wouldn't hold my breath for any Sonic Mania sequel. The devs were freelance. It shouldn't be their responsibility to show SEGA how to make games for their own damn mascot.

I think I read a different team made Mania Plus. If it's true, it's really unfair for a bunch of people that has made one of the best Sonic games in years.

I'm pretty sure they will return, the ones who work on the comics are also freelance, but still they keep working on the series (I know, the comics are a different matter). I wouldn't put too much hope in a direct sequel since SEGA doesn't do these anymore, but... another Classic title, that's definitely happening, because Mania was successful, and obviously they are gonna say "by the team who brought you Sonic Mania" and hopefully it's in fact the same developers this time.

I'm more worried about modern series, I don't know where they can go from here honestly, and I'm worried they might stop making modern games to focus on the Classic series.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, I Love Sticks said:

I'm pretty sure they will return, the ones who work on the comics are also freelance, but still they keep working on the series (I know, the comics are a different matter). I wouldn't put too much hope in a direct sequel since SEGA doesn't do these anymore, but... another Classic title, that's definitely happening, because Mania was successful, and obviously they are gonna say "by the team who brought you Sonic Mania" and hopefully it's in fact the same developers this time.

I'm more worried about modern series, I don't know where they can go from here honestly, and I'm worried they might stop making modern games to focus on the Classic series.

Don´t be. They will definitely make a game with Modern Sonic as the 30th anniversary. Not Classic.

What does it matter? Modern Sonic is 70% Classic Sonic imagary anyway, so what's the diffrence? A pointless 10 seconds of 3d gameplay and Shadow making a meaningless cameo in a cutscene? Modern Sonic IS Classic Sonic, just with broken gameplay and a severe identity crisis.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think Sonic Team should surrender at last and make the gosh darned Sonic Adventure 3. I mean, if that doesn't work, then declare bankruptcy :P

Joking aside, I really wish they could try go back to the Adventure formula, but for the love of God no questionable gameplay styles and ALL 3D... Make everyone close to how Sonic plays plus their own unique abilities to find new routes, secrets and tackle baddies differently. Basically a 2D game but in 3D. Get the guy that writes for Archie (Ian, isn't it?) instead of creating new monsters and shit. Make something Sonic-y. Also bring back all the other composers instead of just Ohtani.

Ship it. 8's out of 10's at last. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Jango said:

I think Sonic Team should surrender at last and make the gosh darned Sonic Adventure 3. I mean, if that doesn't work, then declare bankruptcy :P

Joking aside, I really wish they could try go back to the Adventure formula, but for the love of God no questionable gameplay styles and ALL 3D... Make everyone close to how Sonic plays plus their own unique abilities to find new routes, secrets and tackle baddies differently. Basically a 2D game but in 3D. Get the guy that writes for Archie (Ian, isn't it?) instead of creating new monsters and shit. Make something Sonic-y. Also bring back all the other composers instead of just Ohtani.

You suggest Sonic Team do anything, they'll find a way to fumble it

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jango said:

I think Sonic Team should surrender at last and make the gosh darned Sonic Adventure 3. I mean, if that doesn't work, then declare bankrupt :P

That's definitely easier said than done. I doubt they have the resources to make an Adventure sequel atm. Also, title "Adventure 3" and different controls won't instantly make it good, there's more than that. There will be more modern Sonic for sure, but not sure in what form. Still, to me Adventure sequel feels as likely as Forces sequel. Whatever, just let Sonic Mania team keep going.

18 hours ago, Scape said:

Regardless of sales, I wouldn't hold my breath for any Sonic Mania sequel. The devs were freelance. It shouldn't be their responsibility to show SEGA how to make games for their own damn mascot.

You can never really tell with Sega, but if the company was willing to put money into giving Mania DLC/QoL updates, a retail re-release, and a tie-in animated miniseries in the first place; I'd imagine there is a semblance of a chance they might commit to making a followup later down the line. They could had easily made Mania a one-and-done deal and never bothered with the above materials at all.

I do agree though that Taxman and Stealth shouldn't be the first and last word on the future Genesis Sonic games and in the case they're not interested or unavailable, Sega should look towards having another studio/division other than Sonic Team/Dimps to take up the mantle.

13 hours ago, molul said:

I think I read a different team made Mania Plus. If it's true, it's really unfair for a bunch of people that has made one of the best Sonic games in years.

Hyperkinetic Studios pitched in to help out with the Plus content, but Plus' development credits (separate from the credits of the original game) still showed Taxman and Stealth's involvement in the project.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, Operationgamer17 said:

Not sure if anyone posted this but Mania Plus wasn’t in the July NPD reports.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/22/july-2018-npd-octopath-traveler-and-grand-theft-auto-v-own-the-charts/

Wasn't in the August NPD reports posted last week either. Barring some surprise, best not to expect it in future NPD charts. Although considering Sonic's luck in NPD charts in general over the past ten years, I'd also suggest not to expect any Sonic-specific game to show up there either.

To elaborate: a quick look at NPD threads from GAF and ERA brings up these Sonic-specific titles (re: no Mario Olympics and no Sega compilations/ASR games) that were able to chart:

Sonic Forces - #7 (Top 10 - Nintendo Switch, November 2017)
Sonic Generations - #9 (Top 10 - Nintendo 3DS, February 2012)
Sonic Colors - #9 (Top 10 - Nintendo DS, January 2011)
Sonic and the Black Knight - #13 (Top 20 - Wii, April 2009)
Sonic and the Black Knight - #10 (Top 10 - Wii, March 2009)
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis - #8 (Top 10 - Game Boy Advance, January 2009)
Sonic Unleashed - #7 (Top 10 - PlayStation 2, December 2008)

...it's not exactly worth writing home about.

Some quick observations from the listings:
- Right off the bat, it's clear all of these rankings only count towards platform-specific charts. No Sonic game has ever broken into the overall NPD charts over the past ten years.
- Up until Forces, Black Knight was the only Sonic game to chart in an NPD report the month of its release. It's also the only game top chart for two consecutive months (albeit falling out of the top ten for March). Pretty surprising given the reception of the game.
- Forces and Unleashed are tied as the highest-charting Sonic game on an NPD report (#7, again, both for a specific platform chart).
- Aside from Unleashed, these NPD Sonic rankings are otherwise entirely on Nintendo platforms.
- Forces is the only NPD Sonic game that is neither a spinoff/re-release or a "B-tier" version of a Sonic title (considering Colors and Gens are the "handheld" versions made by Dimps and Unleashed is the "last-gen"/SD version of the game). 

(And speaking of re-releases, WTF at that Sonic 1 GBA 2009 listing hehe.)

To bring this back towards Mania, it's also worth noting Mania also finally fell off the charts for Download-Only Games on the Switch eShop the previous week (Mania dropped off the All Games charts roughly a month ago back in August). It seems Mania's legs on the eShop are dropping off for real this time due to the time since the game's release as well as the constant stream of new releases surfacing on the charts. All things told, Mania had a good run overall, and the Plus re-release/Encore Mode did its part on giving the game a few more miles to cover on the charts.

With that said, the atmosphere is brighter for Mania if you're outside the US/NA. After hovering around in the 20s for some time in the UK charts over the past weeks, Mania Plus has made a surprising rebound in the charts this month--the game leaped up eleven charts three weeks ago from #24 to #13; two weeks ago inched up one spot to #12; and ultimately as of last week rose up two slots to #10--effectively making it back into the UK Top 10 since the end of July. Very impressive holds, considering the recent launch of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and especially the massive launch of Insomniac's Spider-Man. A similar story is playing out in New Zealand, and to a somewhat stronger effect--Mania resurfaced at #10 two weeks ago, and last week rose up to #6.

In both cases (namely the UK in particular), I am curious if we are seeing the development of some very strong legs in development for the game in those regions.

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it a little difficult to believe that Mania and Forces sold in the ballpark of each other's total figures. Based on the sales tracking that has been done since 2017 it doesn't make sense to me. 

I do think that SEGA said what they said to downplay the comparison between itself and Mania. SEGA has not released any hard numbers and we only have the financial reports to go off of. Still, it just seems odd that Mania could be reported as performing stronger for a much longer period of time and yet the two games end up around the same numbers. Unless physical sales of Forces boosted it that much. Could be that I suppose....

Also when the current SEGA president recently spoke about the franchise recent success, he spoke about Mania in clearly more glowing terms than he did Forces.  

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-new-games-1202801421/

Anyway I'm not of the mindset of rooting against Sonic Team despite my current lack of interest or enthusiasm about their efforts. I do want them to finally get it right with Sonic and have been rooting for that for a long time. However, I guess my agenda would be that with Forces, I saw a product that clearly lacked the overall investment of its predecessors in Generations, Colors, and Unleashed. Regardless of how one felt about the game stylistically, the gameplay was obviously not given the same level of thought as those games did, which by comparison fared better critically and commercially (unless I'm mistaken about the latter). To me and many others it appears as though the game had a very confused development history and it shows. This is why I rooted for Mania to do better like I did. Mania I'm sure had its own challenges but the dev team was clearly fully invested about making the best possible Sonic game they could and it clearly showed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Pink_Guy_Zilla said:

Mania did worse than a game like Sonic 4

No not really

if you see the chart here that is:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic

Plus Sonic 4 has one advantage over mania, its on mobile.

If Mania came out on iOS and android it would probably faced similar sales if not better (as retro games are popular on mobile)