Awoo.

Sonic Mania Sales Thread

Zippo

25 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Overly small cast is not even close to one of Mania problems. If anything it benefits greatly from a smaller, more focused gameplay cast. 

The tone was also fine. A little on the goofy side but it was a celebration game aimed at fans reliving the past.  It was an enormous part of the marketing for the game. There's going to be targeted, "inside humor" and the like.

Reused levels was perhaps the primary drawback to the game but again, the entire point of the game was to revisit and celebrate the glory days of the 90s. 

A little? The game was literally goofy throughout. From the egg heavies to just the overall feel of the game. If there were aiming for a old fan the past was always more serious. Eggman burning down forest, collasping ruins, death egg,  mecha sonic. It was all serious in a way. The only humor was knuckles in launch base falling off that pillar that one time in sonic3.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Meta77 said:

A little? The game was literally goofy throughout. From the egg heavies to just the overall feel of the game. If there were aiming for a old fan the past was always more serious. Eggman burning down forest, collasping ruins, death egg,  mecha sonic. It was all serious in a way. The only humor was knuckles in launch base falling off that pillar that one time in sonic3.

I mean that the humor was a bit self-aware or meta in a lot of cases, which tends to be what you get in specifically targeted games like this. It was designed by fans for fans to celebrate the past, so it included tons of little things both subtle and not so subtle that diehard fans would pick out and enjoy. There's going to be that. It was a love letter, "for insiders".

The irony is that the game, just like the classics did, naturally has a wide appeal among the general gaming audience, so even though it was targeted at diehards its an "objectively" fun game for just about everyone to play--not just "insiders"--and it showed us that in reviews and SEGA's sales report.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I mean that the humor was a bit self-aware or meta in a lot of cases, which tends to be what you get in specifically targeted games like this. It was designed by fans for fans to celebrate the past, so it included tons of little things both subtle and not so subtle that diehard fans would pick out and enjoy. There's going to be that. It was a love letter, "for insiders".

The irony is that the game, just like the classics did, naturally has a wide appeal among the general gaming audience, so even though it was targeted at diehards its an "objectively" fun game for just about everyone to play--not just "insiders"--and it showed us that in reviews and SEGA's sales report.

I'll say this; The games way of tone is the opposite of Generations. Mania is very intimate, blatant with even more references(for better or for worse) and understanding of the nature of entertaining characters/world they inhabit. Of course I felt that it was a bit too much at times. Where generations did all but none, Mania did go a little too far.

Either way, I prefer over amounts of blatancy than sterile. At least it's something I can grasp onto. 

Should kept out that Mean bean machine joke though. That was complete shit.

• Nice Smile 1

15 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I want to have confidence in Taxman’s ability to correct the few misdemeanors of Mania (the tone, the overly small cast, levels reused that have been seen too often in recent years, ignoring the US CD soundtrack completely, the lack of a sense of place) in the sequel. 

Agreed. I appreciate the level of ambition Mania bad, but the reuse of levels is actually interesting. It was said that Mania was to be original levels at first but Iizuka decided to include the old ones. I immediately looked at Iizuka in a bit of frustration..Although Mania didn't do that well in reimagining of zones. Most of them were very unoriginal besides the graphical update and didn't get that major of a substantial change. Flying battery act 2 is restructured to be like wing fortress and its original counterpart(the level design is oddly messy) but most of the gimmicks are from CD.

Hydrocity is the least changed level in the game, not actually being a re-imagined of zone just a reconstruct. This leads me to believe Taxman/his team perhaps were attempting to be far too ambitious from their beginning plan and Iizuka saved them from frustration. Or they opted to not change the levels to so they wouldn't feel so foreign. Shifting it up while keeping the spirit. 

Speculation on my part.

Mania is really good of a title, so I won't bash it but like all ambitious Sonic games, they come with faults that feel overlooked or completely underdeveloped. 

I'm still hoping for a Sonic Mania DX or something to that extent. I will never stop being curious as to what the missing level transitions looked like, what the intended level order was, and the full scope of the "story" which if it wasn't missing transitions and potential cut scenes could have made a lot more cohesive sense.

Hopefully in any potential sequel, due to the critical and commercial success of Mania, the team could be given more extra time and backing as needed to finish the full vision of whatever project is next if they need it. While the game went over better than people could have hoped with the public and critics alike, I still can't help but feel it was rushed at the end and polishing touches could have made what was great into perfection. Sonic 3K hasn't been toppled yet Mania crew, but it was bloody close!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

• 3 weeks later...

Xenoverse 2 wasn't on the list and I believe it was stated to have sold ~450k copies, so Mania on Switch likely has at least 500k copies sold. Very impressive and I'm very happy to hear this.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saying that the game is still at #10 in the European eShop charts. That means that in this region, it's digital sales for the Switch are coming in higher than exclusives such as Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids and Snipperclips. In the past two weeks, Forces Switch was on offer in the eShop for under £24 and it still failed to chart.

The Switch may have a smaller userbase than other systems at the moment, but (a good) Sonic game performing especially well on Nintendo platforms shouldn't really be a surprise. Colours performed really well and Generations' overall sales were bolstered by the 3DS version. Lost World and Boom flopped because the games weren't hot and they were on a console that sold like a hot turd.  The franchise should be multiplatform definitely, although I think it's probably pretty likely that Sonic will always do better on a strong Nintendo system than elsewhere simply because of the audience. SEGA absolutely did the right thing by getting Tantalus on board to port Mania to Switch.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Just saying that the game is still at #10 in the European eShop charts. That means that in this region, it's digital sales for the Switch are coming in higher than exclusives such as Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids and Snipperclips. In the past two weeks, Forces Switch was on offer in the eShop for under £24 and it still failed to chart.

The Switch may have a smaller userbase than other systems at the moment, but (a good) Sonic game performing especially well on Nintendo platforms shouldn't really be a surprise. Colours performed really well and Generations' overall sales were bolstered by the 3DS version. Lost World and Boom flopped because the games weren't hot and they were on a console that sold like a hot turd.  The franchise should be multiplatform definitely, although I think it's probably pretty likely that Sonic will always do better on a strong Nintendo system than elsewhere simply because of the audience. SEGA absolutely did the right thing by getting Tantalus on board to port Mania to Switch.

Most gamers like physical games.its nice to see it say beat those games techinally but I'd wager it's cause 1. The splatoon bundle. And 2. Both have physical releases both usually I low stock well splatoon. Rabbids is sorta there now lol.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/nintendo_reveals_the_top_30_best_selling_digital_games_on_switch_in_2017

Nintendo has revealed the best-selling digital-only Switch titles from 2017. Not surprisingly, Sonic Mania isn't very high on Japan's list at #22 (but hey, at least it's in the top 30), but outside of Japan, the game impressively ranks at #3, just below the massively popular Stardew Valley and Minecraft. With only digital games taken into account, it's great to see Sonic Mania rank so highly! It definitely deserves it.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think that Sonic is still popular and he sells (see: Forces), but when the games are actually good he sells a lot more (see: Mania).

• Thumbs Up 4

As long Sega keeps releasing Sonic games, Sonic will always sells, it also helps that the tv Sonic Boom show is doing remarkably well and that the Media around it (Twitter, Youtube) are also very good at engaging the Sonic Community.

• Fist Bump 1

Roughly a month ago back in December (Dec. 22), Mania was near the bottom of the list of Switch eShop games at #18. As of the end of this week, Dec. 22 (and roughly five months since release), it's now risen to #12.

I think it's safe to say by now that Mania's starting to following in the footsteps of other classic Sonic games (in re-releases) of having a long shelf life after release....at least on the eShop, anyway. That in itself is almost ironic to think about, given the failure or non-splash of what's been a long line of Nintendo-exclusive games since 2013.

---

On that note, I'll like to take this opportunity to post a somewhat related wall of text. Today I combed through Nintendo Everything to look at their backlog of weekly eShop charts (which goes all the way back to June 2011 for the 3DS). From that I decided to hash together a list of how long other Sonic releases have coasted on the eShop weekly charts (original 3DS releases only, not counting re-releases on the Virtual Console. Though I will say this: Triple Trouble occasionally resurfaced at the bottom of the charts after years of absence for some odd reason, last showing up in summer 2016. The 8-bit GG version of Sonic 1 also resurfaced a few times, but it didn't have as much staying power). Designations of the game's platform (3DS/Wii U/Switch) included.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U). eShop run: 21 consecutive weeks / five consecutive months. Debuted on 11/30/12 at #5 (first Wii U eShop weekly chart!), ended consecutive run / last charted on 4/22/13 at #16.

Sonic Lost World (Wii U/3DS).

- Wii U eShop run: Three consecutive weeks. Debuted on 11/4/13 at #6, ended consecutive run / last charted on 11/18/13 at #12.

- 3DS eShop run: Two consecutive weeks. Debuted on 11/4/13 at #17, ended consecutive run / last charted on the following week, 11/13/13, at #13.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS). eShop run: Six consecutive weeks / one consecutive month; 13 weeks total. Debuted on 12/11/13 at #6, ended consecutive run on 1/20/14 at #20 (5 weeks). Reappeared in July 2015 for 2 weeks (7/1 - 7/7), in November through December that same year for 3 weeks (11/18 - 12/7), and re-appeared August 2016, July 2017, and November that same year, one week each. Last charted on 11/15/17 at #3.

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Games (Wii U). eShop run: Appeared only once in the charts, on 2/17/14 at #16.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U). eShop run: Appeared only once in the charts, on 11/26/14 at #17.

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (3DS). eShop run: Never appeared on the charts.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (3DS). eShop run: Four consecutive weeks, 18 total weeks. Debuted on 10/14/15 at #2, ended consecutive run at 11/9/15 #8. It then appeared for only week across three weeks from mid November to early December, and stayed on for six more consecutive weeks. It re-appeared in late July / early August 2016, in late November / early December that same year, late June / early July 2017, and mid-October that same year; two weeks each for all four re-appearances. Last charted on 10/18/17 at #11.

Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Wii U/3DS).

- 3DS eShop run: Never appeared on the charts.

- Wii U eShop run: Nine consecutive weeks / two consecutive months. Debuted on 7/1/16 at #17, ended consecutive run / last charted on 8/26/16 at #18.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (3DS). eShop run: Never appeared on the charts.

Sonic Mania (Switch). eShop run: 23 consecutive weeks / five consecutive months...and still counting! First appeared on 8/17/17 at #1. Recently appeared this week (today, 1/20/17) at #12.

Sonic Forces (Switch). eShop run: Three consecutive weeks. Debuted on 11/10/17 at #6, ended consecutive run / last charted on 11/24/17 at #18.

So to rank the weekly total eShop appearances for Sonic games altogether...
1. Mania - 23 weeks (still going)
2. All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U) - 21 weeks
3. 3D Sonic 2 - 18 weeks
4. 3D Sonic 1 - 13 weeks
5. Rio 2016 (Wii U) - 9 weeks
6. Lost World (Wii U) - 3 weeks
6. Forces - 3 weeks
8. Lost World (3DS) - 2 weeks
9. Sochi 2014 - 1 week
9. Rise of Lyric - 1 week
X. Boom: Shattered Crystal; Rio 3DS; Boom: Fire & Ice
N/A: London 2012 (3DS); Generations 3DS; All-Stars Racing Transformed (3DS). Seems Sega only started digitally releasing Sonic games on the eShop on their launch day with Lost World. Reportedly some of these games got digital releases after the fact for certain territories, according to the Retro wiki.

Bonus fact: The trailers for Lost World and Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 lasted longer on the charts (in the Videos category) than any version of both games (in the Software category), Lost World trailers were still showing up as late as early April 2014, while Rio 2016 was showing up as late as last month, December 2017). 

• Thumbs Up 6

31 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I'd also like to point out that it's the 3rd best selling eshop game world wide only behind Stardew Valley and Minecraft respectively

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01/nintendo_reveals_the_top_30_best_selling_digital_games_on_switch_in_2017

Should note, the list only counts games that are exclusively available on the eShop. So it doesn't factor in digital sales of retail games like Zelda: BotW, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2 among others.

Does anyone know how much Mario & Sonic Rio sold? I presume it did more than non-crossover Sonic games, more than Sochi, and a lot less than the previous Mario & Sonic games.

I really wish Sega would give us sales numbers already! Surely Mania has almost hit that 1 million mark by now? 

As for the Mario & Sonic Rio game, from what I remember it didn’t even appear on the Media Create or NPD charts, so it may have even sold worse than the Sochi game. No wonder they didn’t release a game for PeongChang last year! 

Although it’s highly likely there’s going to be a Mario & Sonic game for the Tokyo Olympics in 2020, I really hope they put as much effort in it as they can this time around. Story mode, lots of Olympic events, Arcade mode, whatever! Guaranteed million seller if they do.

Another Sonic Mania Switch sales rank update.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2018/January/Take-a-look-at-the-30-most-downloaded-Nintendo-eShop-games-on-Nintendo-Switch-of-2017--1332939.html

Sonic Mania ranks at #5 among the top downloaded titles in 2017 from the eShop in European territories. Once again, very impressive!

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, mikeblastdude said:

Another Sonic Mania Switch sales rank update.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2018/January/Take-a-look-at-the-30-most-downloaded-Nintendo-eShop-games-on-Nintendo-Switch-of-2017--1332939.html

Sonic Mania ranks at #5 among the top downloaded titles in 2017 from the eShop in European territories. Once again, very impressive!

More impressive is that unlike the previous ranked list of downloads from the Japanese Nintendo site, this list actually does include eShop downloads of games available on retail, such as Super Mario Odyssey (whose eShop sales just barely came under those of Mania's at #6), Splatoon 2 (#11), and Zelda: BotW (#12).

• Thumbs Up 3

• 5 months later...

With Mania Plus hitting retail stores worldwide last week, it's time to break the ice that's buried this topic and wheel it back out into the open.

Freshly-baked news from the UK: Mania Plus debuted at #5 in the UK charts last week (behind Crash N-Sane [1], Lego Incredibles [2], Sea of Thieves [3], and Minecraft [4]) in the All Format (Units) charts.

Split between platform differences was 52% for Switch, 34% for PS4, 15% on Xbox One(52+34+15=101?????)

Concerning platform-specific charts, Mania Plus was #2 on the UK's Top 20 Switch charts (beaten only by MK8 Deluxe), #4 on Top 20 PS4 charts, and #12 title on Top 20 XBO charts.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mania has done so damn well, great job CW and folks! Now we need to see Mania 2 someday and double those sales.