Awoo.

What do you think Sonic Forces' Metacritic score will be?

Detective Kaito

With a good percentage of the Sonic community being skeptical about the quality of Sonic Forces, do you think that Sonic Forces will be a good game?

Also, what do you think its Metacritic score will be?

Most critics hate 3D Sonic, and they will openly express that especially after the release of the critically acclaimed Sonic Mania.

I hate to think that Sonic Forces won't be at least good after all the time they had to work on it (almost 4 years), but with every new trailer and information released about this game, I get this uneasy feeling in my stomach that it's just going to be an average game and how unfocused this game is overall.

As such, I think Sonic Forces will get a 50-69 on Metacritic. Yep, I'm sorry for being pessimistic, but I don't want to be disappointed again.

Probably somewhere in the 50s or 60s, low 70s if it's really lucky. It doesn't seem like it'll be fundamentally broken like '06 or RoL, and there's obviously fans of the boost gameplay out there, so I don't expect it to be entirely trashed. But there's a hell of a lot wrong with it, so I don't see it getting many positive reviews.

• Thumbs Up 7

The part of me that is hopeful for future Sonic games is screaming 'It will be a great game! Sold 80% and everything!' but the cynical part of me just sighs, expecting something just bearly passing over 65%. The game looks troubled, with a confused identity and Classic in particular looking very uninspired. The game will likely be critically panned, sparking SEGA to change internal structuring within Sonic Team to start producing 'great' 3D Sonic's. We just have to see, as we don't have enough to outright call the game shit just yet. We need to see more level footage, story cut-scenes and more hands-on previews before having a more solid answer on how good/okay/meh/etc Forces will end up being. 

• Thumbs Up 1

inb4 'it deserves a 0 because boost and not SA3'

i expect it to get a score somewhere in the 70% range.

It's far too early to predict. But if were to look at the standing of the Sonic Series after Mania dropped.. it's looking like a really rough climate for Forces, With many reviews outright dismissing the 3D/Modern games in order to prove a point that Sonic had a working game play back in the Genesis Era is not a good start. And sadly the game isn't looking like it's gonna balance though, with how messy Forces is looking like currently. I don't think the majority of the regained and peaking audience will enjoy what they see. Again, this is how think things are right now and plus Sega needs to put Forces at a release date far away from Super Mario Odyssey in order to not get hammered by the Gaming Journalist. and by no means i suggest pushing the release forward.

• Nice Smile 2

Hated by fans, liked by critics. Generally 60% ish in Metacritic. Jim Sterling will hate it and SEGA will send him a giant poster of Sonic Forces. Love you Jim.

• Thumbs Up 7

The Generations Metacritic score is about 77% for reference. I believe it will probably hit on the lower 70s. So far, we've only seen one Modern zone, and that zone already looks more interesting than Green Hill Zone Act 2 in Generations. Also Sonic looks like he controls more smoothly, and he has a double jump. So depending on the level design of later parts, it could either be vastly better than Generations or worse. Unlike most people, I actually think that Classic Sonic will be received well by critics. Critics aren't deep enough into the series to notice that the physics are slightly different. They even praised the shit out of Sonic 4 at the time. As long as the levels end up being more interestingly designed than Green Hill Zone, I can see Classic Sonic being a plus in reviews. The Avatar is very strange. His gameplay looks interesting, as it's an altered version of Modern Sonic's style. It seems to flow pretty well with the use of the Wispons and stuff, despite the boost not being there. It's an alternate gameplay style that doesn't deviate too heavily from Sonic's, which is something that the fanbase has wanted for a long time. However, critics have universally panned all alternate gameplay styles in 3D Sonic, so that may cause it to lower the score.

The main things I think critics will respond negatively to is the storyline, the Avatar being an OC, and Sonic's friends talking in levels. This seems to be the biggest issue in the fandom as well, so I can see this dividing critics and fans. A lot of Sonic criticism I see nowadays (outside the fanbase) focuses mainly on glitches and the cringe factor. This game will likely be mostly glitch free like Sonic Lost World, so I can see people focusing on how "cringey" it is. The reception of Infinite's theme and the Avatar sort of proved that to me. So I think that's what will drag down the Metacritic score compared to Generations, which was mostly safe both in terms of level design and story.

The most important point is that we haven't seen shit. From impressions I've seen around the web, both Modern and Classic control better than they did in Generations. But that doesn't mean anything if the level design is up to snuff. Unfortunately it seems that both fans and critics are focused more on the cringe factor than the actual gameplay, so I am afraid that the improvements that have been made might get overshadowed.

What @Hard-Boiled Wisp said. Despite the fandom panning the boost gameplay, the critics really like it, if scores for Colors and Generations are any indication. I think it will have a pretty good Metacritic score and the fans will bemoan that fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

The most important point is that we haven't seen shit. From impressions I've seen around the web, both Modern and Classic control better than they did in Generations. But that doesn't mean anything if the level design is up to snuff. Unfortunately it seems that both fans and critics are focused more on the cringe factor than the actual gameplay, so I am afraid that the improvements that have been made might get overshadowed.

Apparently two 1:30 zones and one boss fight with an edgy 2 minute DISRESPECT YOUR SURROUNDINGS trailer showing absolutely nothing is enough to judge an entire game. 

People you can think all you want whatever you're entitled to your own opinion, as it should be, but for me, we haven't seen jack SHIT to say Forces will bomb yet. We don't even know what the story is about besides Eggman and co. wins and Ow the Edge is there and we are part of the Resistance. That's as generic as it gets but we don't know anything else from what we can see.  

I think it will do "OK" with the normal reviewer. So I'm guessing it'll end up being around 6 and 7 out of 10 commonly.

Modern is probably going to be the part of the that's liked by the critics since people do still like boost gameplay, although the feeling of "been there, done that" might set in depending on how much they've changed from Generations.

Classic is definitely not going to fare as much this time due to what Soniman said, coming right off the heels of Sonic Mania people are going to notice a lot of the problems that fans pointed out with him in Generations.

The Avatar is a toss up because I've seen mixed opinions about it, but there's no real consensus on whether it's good or bad.

So with all three gameplay styles being questionable at this point, I can't see this game getting beyond low 70's, but it's not a broken mess either so it'll at least hover above 60. So I can see a lot of mixed reviews, so anywhere from 60%~70% for this game, about the same for Lost World basically.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm hoping for 77, I don't see why the critics would have issues with the gameplay unless the quality is bad. They like the boost, they aren't experts on classic gameplay so they will take it, avatar's is mostly power ups which is always nice. There is no Werehog, or treasure hunting or mech shooting here.

7 hours ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

Hated by fans, liked by critics. Generally 60% ish in Metacritic. Jim Sterling will hate it and SEGA will send him a giant poster of Sonic Forces. Love you Jim.

Haha yup, Jim Sterling really hates Sonic lol

He hates Sonic so much that he gave Mania a 9.5/10 ?

It'll most likely be in the low 70s. If we're lucky, then it might be a bit higher than that. I feel like the avatar gameplay is what's holding this game back.

I think it will do about as well as Colors and Generations did so anywhere from a 75 to an 80.

Optimistically I'm feelin' Sonic Forces will at least break into the high 70's/low 80's! But as others had said, this is still to be seen! So far all the critics were able to do was play the e3 demo which isn't the concluded end-all final version! If I'm gonna be honest I have a feeling that they may push Forces release date to very early 2018. Or at least it's what I would do in order to bring out quality content! (We don't need another Sonic '06....) Either way it's no point to speculate right now! We haven't even got an exact release date! Let's wait til it's closer to the Holidays to actually start throwing' guesses, I think? x3

I'd expecting around 50-60s, maybe 70 max. 

Post-E3 previews have actually been pretty negative, so I don't think "it's the boost, critics like the boost!" is gonna cut it this time around. Forces looks fundamentally flawed in many areas, and the previews have been showing more nuance with the gameplay beyond "it's like Generations which folks liked". The fact Mania's dropped and been declared by several outlets to be "the best Sonic game ever", with a Metacritic of around 87, makes me highly doubt it'll be coming anywhere near that 80s range. 

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I'd expecting around 50-60s, maybe 70 max. 

Post-E3 previews have actually been pretty negative, so I don't think "it's the boost, critics like the boost!" is gonna cut it this time around. 

Interestingly, most of them appear to be of the Switch version.

Anyway, to get to the topic, my guess is maybe around low-to-mid 60's at the lowest, high 70s to mid 80s at the highest.

Well I made a bet that this shit wouldn't break the 75 mark so I hope it's decent but not too decent you know?

• Thumbs Up 1