Awoo.

What do you think Sonic Forces' Metacritic score will be?

Detective Kaito

It'll be definitely in the yellow but wouldn't even be surprised if it was in the red even though it is more promising than the Boom games and doesn't seems to be that glitchy from what little I've seen. So that'll be from mid 50s all the way to low 70s at best. For some reason, I have a score of 66 in my mind I don't know why.

Reviewers will be mixed with some praising parts that they like, some that could go either way (Avatar) and some will be questioning Classic Sonic. It just depends on the mind set of the reviewer and whether they'll like the story (since some reviewers care more about the story than the gameplay). A user score may or may not be higher and just depends on the people who they have to review the game whether it will be the younger fans who like the Avatar option or fans/other people who give it a low score on purpose.

I'll be honestly surprised if it gets into the green or a score close to Generations as in 75+.

18 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Interestingly, most of them appear to be of the Switch version.

Anyway, to get to the topic, my guess is maybe around low-to-mid 60's at the lowest, high 70s to mid 80s at the highest.

The impressions were from a Switch event held by Ninty; however the complaints don't exactly relate to the only real differing component of the Switch ver, the graphics, so it gives us a good idea of the game itself (and how naff it's seemingly turning out)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, James Cloud said:

Big-c how is the oc holding the game back? -_-

5 hours ago, James Cloud said:

Lol Metacritic.....probably 79-84 because lol Metacritic.

How is the oc holding the game back _-_

1 hour ago, サイヤ人の王子 said:

It'll end up with a 67.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I expect it won't break 70. 

I think there's a lot holding the game back that's obvious to us already that critics will pick up on when they play the whole game. That, plus the darker storyline filled with Sonic's "shitty friends" will give critics even more to latch onto when they rail against the game.

Face it, critics love using 3D Sonic as a punching bag. It's practically a meme at this point. If the game has serious flaws, they'll be exaggerated in many reviews. Even if the game deserves a 70, it'll probably hit 60 and lower from some critics. 

There is still the fact that critics enjoyed Colors and Generations, somehow. This follows the same patterns.

15 minutes ago, Dkiller said:

Big-c how is the oc holding the game back? -_-

How is the oc holding the game back _-_

Uh...where in my comment did I said this? I said no such thing quote the other guy not me I'm hype for it.....

Hard to say since the demo was an in progress build.

if i had to share thoughts it would more than likely get an 79. mostly due to people complaining about classic sonic (which i share, he wasn't really necessary). The Avatar controls quite well and the ivory whip is the best thing ever (my opinion). modern sonic is generations but with a good amount of improvement over it. 

still don't need classic but he controls fine.

I expect it to be in the 70s. Despite the negative impressions that was posted earlier in this thread, Forces also had a lot of positive impressions, from sites like Kotaku, to people on here who played the game at E3. I don't see it getting close to Mania's 89 rating, but I definitely see it doing better than a game like Lost World

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Henry said:

Above 60, below 82.

This sounds about right. It'll either be in the yellow or just reach green.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether or not forces has an identity and it is about the gameplay. I have never read any review bashing a game that comes off as a mess. They only care about gameplay. I am afraid critics might pan forces if sega keeps up this style of marketing. Remember marketing plays a huge role in how a game is percieved. And tbh sega has done a really bad job revealing this game. I mean they never should have shown off green hill because fans were under the impression that this was an  "original" experience and blatently lying about it is going to cause some back lash. They have not done a great job advertizing this game in terms of gamelay. I we have waited over a year and all we got were 2 stages that did not have great level design. The E3 trailer wasn't that good imo  because 90 percent of it was stuff we have allready seen and we only got 20 seconds of new footage. This 2 year news drout is obviously going to drain the hype for the fans. Mania has had far better marketing than forces. We have seen like 5 stages during its pre-release. I do not think it is to late for sega to raise the hype and reception for forces. I would suggest for them to release a trailer during the famitsu live stream this thursday  that is at least 2 minutes long with fully brand new footage. Modern sonic should be the main focus of this trailer. The other characters should be teased a bit but not too much. This trailer should tease fully new levels and location for like 5 seconds. I think some cutscenes should also be  showcased as well. And the release date should be revealed at the very end of the trailer. It should be set up similarly to how the unleashed E3 trailer was set up. Now that is how to market a game properly. Back in 2008 people believed unleashed was going to be a good game and that should be the same impressions fan should have. BTW I am very excited for forces and I am not hating unlike other fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Going by mixed previews thinking high 60s low 70s. 

Although want to see this updated build and issues have been addressed before seeing if my prediction is still valid.

I'd be pretty shocked if it got below 60, actually. The reviews have been mixed overall and that usually indicates a game somewhere within the 60s range. Definitely not bad, but not totally good either. Modern boost gameplay will be seen as the best part of the game and probably will be.

This game has no shot of cracking the 80s but to me it's just as unlikely that it'll fail to reach the 60s.

I personally have it is a low 70 percentile game and that's about the high end I expect. 

60-70 overall, probably closer to 70.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/21/2017 at 8:24 PM, Soniman said:

1: The previews have been consistently negative citing problems with all three gameplay styles with varying degrees of flaws, unless there's a huge upwsing in quality after these first levels im not expecting that to change

2: That being said Modern is still Modern and has gotten the least amount of grief so far, critics are pretty kind on the boost gameplay , especially after stuff like Boom and SLW so it will probably be...mostly alright and be well liked.

3: Classic however, is not gonna get off so easy this time. It got praise in Gens because most critics havent played the classic triolgy (and if they did it was probably years ago) and thus had very little recollection of what makes a good classic game like the game feel and phsyics and shit so they saw Generations, saw its (mostly superficial) similarities to the "good Sonic games" and praised it. Forces isnt getting away with this because they now have a DIRECT frame of refrence with Mania, they played it and now know what classic sonic is SUPPOSED to be, Classic in Forces...to put it nicely, still shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how classic gameplay is supposed to work so while this gameplay style worked to Gens' benefit, in this game it now will work to its detrement with critics

4: Avatar mode will get some slack because lel DA memes, but I expectg most serious critics wont care about that at all and judge it's playstyle accordingly, and given how the previews havent been glowing whatsoever for it, it wont be looking good. Its simply not very fun.

5: And to a slightly lesser degree, theyll have played Oddessy, which from the looks of things will be nothing less but a exceptional platformer which will look badly for Forces in general

So 1/3 gameplay styles might be looked on fondly, everything else I doubt it. Im gonna say either slightly above or below what SLW got. high 50s to mid 60s

+1

Also going to add to this with point #6--the staff involved in the production of this game.

Morio Kishimoto has been named as the director of Forces, who has been responsible for designing and/or directing most of Sonic Team's games over the past decade (Unleashed and Generations being the exceptions, both of which were directed and designed by a mostly different group of staff), and has had his own close crew of designers since Black Knight (who were likely brought back to design this game too). Save for what's virtually a fluke in their output (Colors, 78 MC), their streak of Sonic games has otherwise been mediocre (Secret Rings: 69 MC, Black Knight: 54 MC, Lost World: 60 MC).

I'm really not sure about Forces. There are some things in it that seem really off to me. Not sure about going back to a dark tone (it didn't work for StH or 06), from what I've seen there's too much talking during gameplay (reminds me of Boom), the custom character seems gimmicky, they seem to be bringing in characters that should have been one offs, the footage gives the impression that it's much easier than other boost titles, and classic sonic is not a necessary addition (we already have a brilliant classic nostalgia game in Mania)...Why couldn't they just have made a boost formula sonic game on his own?

I hope I'm wrong and it's great - I was more excited for it when fewer things were revealed - but there's something about it that gives me doubts. I'm worried that they've made some obvious mistakes again and the game will get panned by critics as usual. Wouldn't be good, especially after Mania got such a warm reception. If you notice, the Sonic games that do best critically are the simpler ones.

Before the community gets upset, I'd just point out that I own every 2D and 3D Sonic game and adore most of them. The only ones I actively dislike are Shadow, 06, Chronicles, Free Riders, Secret Rings and Boom.... Sonic Genesis if we are counting ports.

I dont think it will get a high Metacritic Score, put it that way.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 23/08/2017 at 3:32 PM, Gabriel_Lloyd said:

Between 65 and 73, a little below 80 at best.

On 22/08/2017 at 3:32 PM, Joseph Henry said:

Above 60, below 82.

On 22/08/2017 at 3:25 PM, Meta77 said:

If you go by fans here. A 70.

Fans on other social media. A 84

On 22/08/2017 at 3:31 PM, サイヤ人の王子 said:

It'll end up with a 67.

Those are some oddly specific numbers, guys. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll be surprised if the game gets a score lower than Lost World WiiU (which is at 62%). But yeah, looking at gameplay and how there's a bigger emphasis on story that might fall apart, I wouldn't expect anything higher than 70. 71 max.

But hey, if it gets more than that, great, I think!

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Those are some oddly specific numbers, guys. 

The 85 mark is too much.

It'll definitely get a few 50s from the more pettier outlets that have it in for the franchise, but for those who'll look at it and aren't interested in beating a dead horse (okay, that's a stretch even coming from me) it'll probably range from the 60s to mid-70s. Might be a few 80s from more generous or enthusiastic reviews, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

So a pretty average game score. Not really impressive, although I will laugh if it does better than expected with the critics come release.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...