Awoo.

Sonic Forces nominated for a People's Choice Award at Gamescom

Graystripe2000

Yes. You read that right. IGN nominated Sonic Forces for a People's Choice Award by IGN at Gamescom. Also, in regards to rumors about the press build being different from the public build, here's what the same guy had to say about it: 

• Thumbs Up 2

That's good.

Also yeah, still looks like the same build (the Classic stage is still the boss).

I hope Thursday's stream gets something new. Please. 

I think I talked about this in statuses, but this nomination barely means anything. If you go to the website on this banner, you'll see at least 1 game that only got a teaser and nothing else (Age of Empires 4 in this instance). And people actually have to vote for the game to win. So yeah, this nomination barely means anything.

But hey, it's better than absolutely nothing, right?

...right?

• Thumbs Up 2

http://uk-microsites.ign.com/ign-pca/

From what I can gather, this isn't actually based on impressions from the event; it's an online popularity contest. Pretty much every game there is nominated, even those without gameplay.

So while it's perhaps nice to see Forces get a fancy badge for once, it's ultimately not very representative of what's on show. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Pretty much everything at Gamescom got a nomination. "People's Choice is just a poll..

One that Sonic's not actually doing so hot in going by results

DBZ, Need for Speed, and pretty much any game that's actually close to release seem to take the poll percentage.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Pretty much everything at Gamescom got a nomination. "People's Choice is just a poll..

Looking at them, not a whole lot are. Even MARIO's not doing so hot compared to the competition, shockingly.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Different games of different genres so it's not really "bad" if going by the list a lot are doing worst.

3 minutes ago, James Cloud said:

Different games of different genres so it's not really "bad" if going by the list a lot are doing worst.

Out of roughly 9000+ votes cast, Forces is not doing well. It's main platforming competitor, Odyssey, is currently outstripping it by nearly 200 votes. 

It's not exactly a strong showing, innit. Either way, how well it's doing is largely irrelevant; the point is that it getting a nomination here isn't indicative of much since every game has a nomination. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

Out of roughly 9000+ votes cast, Forces is not doing well. It's main platforming competitor, Odyssey, is currently outstripping it by nearly 200 votes. 

It's not exactly a strong showing, innit. Either way, how well it's doing is largely irrelevant; the point is that it getting a nomination here isn't indicative of much since every game has a nomination. 

You didn't get the comment at all other games are lower than it and the votes varied because genre preference it doesn't matter at the end of today.

Something interesting of note, the last time I checked, only 3 games had above 1,000 votes. Everything else was in the low hundreds.

Like I said, the fact it's not doing well isn't particularly the point. The point is the fact it's nominated is nothing noteworthy, since every game is. 

It's essentially a participation trophy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Like I said, the fact it's not doing well isn't particularly the point.

In the comment you replied to, he was only talking about how it isn't "bad" that Forces is so low, because pretty much everything is  low. If it wasn't the point, you wouldn't have pointed out how Odyssey beats it out by 200 votes (a whole ~2%!). Which just proves his point, mind you. Forces and Odyssey are doing shit because the poll votes favor hardcore games of competitive genres, or games that actually have a showing or trailers.

No one denied it's a popularity contest. "People's Choice", after all. 

Personally it's interesting to see people want to have their cake and eat it too. "It's just a popularity contest, so it means nothing" but also "Sonic Forces isn't doing too well in a popularity contest."

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

In the comment you replied to, he was only talking about how it isn't "bad" that Forces is so low, because pretty much everything is  low. If it wasn't the point, you wouldn't have pointed out how Odyssey beats it out by 200 votes (a whole ~2%!). Which just proves his point, mind you. Forces and Odyssey are doing shit because the poll votes favor hardcore games of competitive genres, or games that actually have a showing or trailers.

No one denied it's a popularity contest. "People's Choice", after all. 

Personally it's interesting to see people want to have their cake and eat it too. "It's just a popularity contest, so it means nothing" but also "Sonic Forces isn't doing too well in a popularity contest."

I can't speak for Josh particularly, but my stance is:

• Every game is nominated, so it doesn't really mean much
  • In addition to it not meaning much, Forces is doing shite. Salt in the wound.
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

It's worthy to note that it's a popularity contest because it means Sonic Forces didn't get in on an exceptional showing. It's there because it's part of the poll.

Noting that it's also not doing well in the popularity contest at all doesn't contradict this. It just says a lot about the game's reception that it can't break any ground in a popularity contest.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I can't speak for Josh particularly, but my stance is:

• Every game is nominated, so it doesn't really mean much
  • In addition to it not meaning much, Forces is doing shite. Salt in the wound.

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

It's worthy to note that it's a popularity contest because it means Sonic Forces didn't get in on an exceptional showing. It's there because it's part of the poll.

Noting that it's also not doing well in the popularity contest at all doesn't contradict this. It just says a lot about the game's reception that it can't break any ground in a popularity contest.

Like I said, eating cake and having it too.

It doesn't mean much that it's nominated, because the award itself means nothing. But also it's not winning, meaning that Forces isn't popular either. Even though it would still mean nothing if it won. Oh, and if it was never nominated in the first place, that's bad too! It seems we've got Forces in a checkmate.

So we're not going to acknowledge either that every game in the poll except for DBZ, NFS, and Project Cars have less than 5% in the poll, or that games like Cuphead, Mario + Rabbids, Mario & Luigi, and Pokken (as of the original post time) are lower than Forces? Or is it only bad for Sonic Forces specifically that it's not doing well in the poll?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

9 minutes ago, Josh said:

It just says a lot about the game's reception that it can't break any ground in a popularity contest.

It barely does. Sure, Oddysey got 200 votes, but that still pales in comparison to DBZ, NFS Payback and Project Cars 2 (like, what). Mario + Rabbids and other much better recieved games are lower than Forces, so the "votes = reception" hypothesis is also out of the question.

This award is meaningless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can you like, not read? What part of salt in the wound isn't clear?

Forces getting nominated isn't impressive, because the nomination means little. In addition, it's doing shit in the poll, which is a hilarious insult to injury. 

I'm not discussing the other games, because they aren't relevant. This is a topic about Forces' nomination. Furthermore, Mario's ~200 vote lead over Sonic is still a thing, percentage or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Like I said, eating cake and having it too.

It doesn't mean much that it's nominated, because the award itself means nothing. But also it's not winning, meaning that Forces isn't popular either. Even though it would still mean nothing if it won. Oh, and if it was never nominated in the first place, that's bad too! It seems we've got Forces in a checkmate.

So we're not going to acknowledge either that every game in the poll except for DBZ, NFS, and Project Cars have less than 5% in the poll, or that games like Cuphead, Mario + Rabbids, Mario & Luigi, and Pokken are lower than Forces? Or is it only bad for Sonic Forces specifically that it's not doing well in the poll?

Why are you trying to make this bigger than it is? It's a fucking popularity contest lol.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Bobnik said:

It barely does. Sure, Oddysey got 200 votes, but that still pales in comparison to DBZ, NFS Payback and Project Cars 2 (like, what). Mario + Rabbids and other much better recieved games are lower than Forces, so the "votes = reception" hypothesis is also out of the question.

This award is meaningless.

It's not about the reception, it's effectively about whether people give a shit about the game and clearly not many people care.

10 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Can you like, not read? What part of salt in the wound isn't clear?

Where was the wound and where is the salt? You can't say it's a wound if it's not important in the first place. Not winning a meaningless contest also isn't salt, by that logic.

I'm not discussing the other games, because they aren't relevant. This is a topic about Forces' nomination. Furthermore, Mario's ~200 vote lead over Sonic is still a thing, percentage or not.

The other games aren't relevant, apparently, except only Mario and only because it got a negligible lead.

Out of 9000+, Odyssey only has a ~2% lead, and that matters, but literally no other game matters? So since Mario is valid now, then no one cares about Mario then? Is it bad that it got into a meaningless contest and won nothing? Or again, is this only a double standard for Forces?

10 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Why are you trying to make this bigger than it is? It's a fucking popularity contest lol.

I'm not trying to make it bigger than it is. The people claiming this is bad for Forces, while also claiming that it's just a popularity contest, are making a deal about things. I'm not even the only person to talk about this either.

Erm.... "people are interested in this game" has got to be the most irrelevant thing to make a category for. I'm glad Forces has some sort of stamp on it, but it'd be nice if it meant something beyond being somewhat interesting to a pool of 10k online voters who haven't played the game. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't think anyone's suggesting this is particularly bad for Forces; just that it's not exactly impressive, either.