Awoo.

Sonic Forces: New Tag Team level confirmed

Speedi

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

This I'm not particularly bothered by, considering how much flopping around the characters did in Heroes and how that ended up causing some problems when switching between them. With something like Tails in Sonic 2/3&K I think it's fine for them to be AI-controlled, but when the player's meant to be controlling both characters I think it's probably better if they control more like one unit.

I dunno. I can't get behind that that argument - "Heroes didn't manage it well, so better they find a half-arsed alternative than try to get it right". I can't imagine it being too much effort have the partner's movements slightly delayed or designed to follow the main character, instead of literally controlling them both at once. Their AI shouldn't require them to want to do things on their own, like attack enemies or jump on springs. And it also wouldn't be too much trouble to mandate that they stay within a certain radius of whoever the main character is. Also, not entirely sure what you mean by problems that Heroes had with switching. In all but exceptional circumstances (which were elements of Heroes general messiness and lack of refinement), when you changed leader they new one just took the space of the previous one. 

Having them control like one unit would be fine if they weren't in such perfect sync. It looks so awkwardly implemented. Of course it's not a major issue, and something a lot of people won't notice or even be bothered by. It really doesn't work for me though.

8 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

The AI missing isn't a big turndown for me. It does look pretty jarring though, they could've put more effort into masking it. It looks like one of those mods where Sonic is followed by Wisps in Generations and SADX. 

The whole game screams amateurish to me.

Basically this.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I was just rewatching this, and some of the laziness in the design just became more obvious to me.

• When Your Name uses the grapple in mid air, Sonic just magically swings along side them. He goes into his ball form and swings as though he's using the grapple. It looks like nobody tried. It's even worse when they're using the Burst Wisp and Sonic is supposedly holding their hand even though he's nowhere near.

Taking a closer look, and he is holding the Avatar's hand when the latter grinds with the grapple hook.

tumblr_inline_ov7d5r55oQ1sm4igw_540.png

Dat animation when said grinding happens tho'. O_O;

Just now, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Taking a closer look, and he is holding the Avatar's hand when the latter grinds with the grapple hook.

tumblr_inline_ov7d5r55oQ1sm4igw_540.png

Dat animation when said grinding happens tho'. O_O;

They hold hands for that and the light-dash  (which both look super weird but whatever), but not the Burst or grappling targets in the air.

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

How is holding their hand weird?

The animation looks weird.

Do you just want to question everything I post?

• Chuckle 1

20 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

The animation looks weird.

Do you just want to question everything I post?

*kicks at a rock* maaaaaaaaybe. Cause I wanted to know. It looked  clean to me. Just trying to see what your eyes do that I don't

• Nice Smile 1

Why does every Forces thread have to turn into a crusade?

A 1 frame animation (can't even call it that, can't be an animation with just one frame lol) is bad, or are you guys going to argue it's above average like everything else?

Oh maybe it's because it's subjective? The footage is not your TV's direct feed, it's because of Youtube compression. No wait, it's because it's not out yet and we can't judge the demo, they'll totally fix it before release!

What's it gonna be this time?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Since we're talking about animations. Is it just me or does Sonic literally lock up when the avatar drifts? I mean his model as a whole shakes around a little but his pose doesn't seem to change at all.

14 minutes ago, Joy said:

Since we're talking about animations. Is it just me or does Sonic literally lock up when the avatar drifts? I mean his model as a whole shakes around a little but his pose doesn't seem to change at all.

That's exactly what we were pointing out!

• Chuckle 1

14 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

A 1 frame animation (can't even call it that, can't be an animation with just one frame lol) is bad, or are you guys going to argue it's above average like everything else?

Oh maybe it's because it's subjective? The footage is not your TV's direct feed, it's because of Youtube compression. No wait, it's because it's not out yet and we can't judge the demo, they'll totally fix it before release!

...I don't think anyone was going to argue that animation is pretty bad from what we've been shown lol. Granted, some of the animation can be fixed up (and I won't believe for a second that ST don't see a problem in the drifting animation), but yeah, right now everything looks stiff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm looking now,he doesn't move whole grinding. But from the shot is it that bad what do you want. Himflipping side to side or throwing a thumbs up?

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I'm looking now,he doesn't move whole grinding. But from the shot is it that bad what do you want. Himflipping side to side or throwing a thumbs up?

I don't know... React to movements? Like he already did in Generations and Unleashed? Heck, even the dive animation was toned back a lot.

5 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

...I don't think anyone was going to argue that animation is pretty bad from what we've been shown lol. Granted, some of the animation can be fixed up (and I won't believe for a second that ST don't see a problem in the drifting animation), but yeah, right now everything looks stiff.

Well trying to defend inexcusable stuff is a trend, so. 

But I'm glad we're on the same page at least for this!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I don't know... React to movements? Like he already did in Generations and Unleashed? Heck, even the dive animation was toned back a lot.

He does react when moving left or right, but it's been toned down a bit compared to Generations, so it's barely noticable.

That said, I don't know if they should react the same way as Sonic did in Generations, because in my experience there were several instances when the model reacted too much to the movement, therefore messing with the control sometimes and being just distractive. It's especially annoying during the Egg Dragoon bossfight.

31 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

That's exactly what we were pointing out!

I've honestly no idea why I didn't see these posts with the screenshots earlier on, that's VERY weird to miss. My bad!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Joy said:

I've honestly no idea why I didn't see these posts with the screenshots earlier on, that's VVERY weird to miss. My bad!

It happens to me quite often too, ahahaha!

5 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

He does react when moving left or right, but it's been toned down a bit compared to Generations, so it's barely noticable.

That said, I don't know if they should react the same way as Sonic did in Generations, because in my experience there were several instances when the model reacted too much to the movement, therefore messing with the control sometimes and being just distractive. It's especially annoying during the Egg Dragoon bossfight.

It looks like he's in a pretty static position to me and doesn't really lean in a particular direction. 

I'm not sure I get what you're referring to about Generations, can you elaborate on it?

17 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

It looks like he's in a pretty static position to me and doesn't really lean in a particular direction. 

I'm not sure I get what you're referring to about Generations, can you elaborate on it?

It's there, but I had to actually look closely during the section cuz, again, it's barely noticable.

It's mostly this I'm talking about - Sonic rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise when moving to the left/right, and rotating more when going up/down. I don't know why, but this looks, I dunno, inconsistent and messes with my perception on how to move the character sometimes. Sure it looks cool, but it's a little bit distracting and inconsistent in my opinion. Maybe it's just me tho.

22 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

It's there, but I had to actually look closely during the section cuz, again, it's barely noticable.

It's mostly this I'm talking about - Sonic rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise when moving to the left/right, and rotating more when going up/down. I don't know why, but this looks, I dunno, inconsistent and messes with my perception on how to move the character sometimes. Sure it looks cool, but it's a little bit distracting and inconsistent in my opinion. Maybe it's just me tho.

Oh absolutely, that looks distracting, but this is what I was referring to. 

This looks way more organic than the way he moves in Forces/Lost World

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Sonikko said:

*sigh*

I'm gonna put this on spoiler tags just to be safe.

Spoiler

What are you saying? What crusade? Nobody here is suggesting that the animation in this game is somehow above awful. When you say stuff like this makes me really think you WANT to start the chaos here. How can people discuss in a normal way like this if each side keeps baiting each other treating them like is "the bad side"? If people are quiet, let it be that way. I barely go here on those topics because of that.

The drifting animation has to be unfinished or a placeholder. They can't just get away with this. All of Sonic's animations just got worse and worse since Unleashed. (Gens does not have a smooth walking to stopping transition like Unleashed and Colors)

• Thumbs Up 1

SLW really doesnt need to be put on the same tier as Forces is currenlty when it comes to animaionts at all, that game had a ton of bouncy/springy character animations for Sonic so saying its just as stiff/nonexistent as it is with Forces is jsut insulting hhonestly lol

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Sonikko said:

This looks way more organic than the way he moves in Forces/Lost World

Uhh... its that just the default free-fall animation?

If you were to hold the boost/rapid decent button, wouldn't he go right into the streamlined falling stance your criticizing the other games for.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If you were to hold the boost/rapid decent button, wouldn't he go right into the streamlined falling stance your criticizing the other games for.

That's not what they're talking about. Sonic does have his "streamlined" falling animation if you speed him up while free-falling. The issue that people are having is that he doesn't tilt very much when moving left to right, as in Generations/Unleashed. He does tilt, but it's just subdued. Personally, I'm not bothered by it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic should be doing flips and shit in midair. And if you go near the edge he starts running down the wall instead of just sliding against it.

• Thumbs Up 8

I feel like this is getting into the nitpicking area though. Honestly, the animations being bad is far from being a deal breaker. 

The game is bad but for whole other reasons. Animations are just the icing on the cake.

9 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Again. The animation is similar, but Generations has Sonic leaning left and right, his animations are more bouncy overall.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Sonic should be doing flips and shit in midair. And if you go near the edge he starts running down the wall instead of just sliding against it.

I mean, this has nothing to do with Forces really, but something that bothers me about Sonic games in general and the boost game in particularly is that Sonic just runs at things and strikes a static pose when launched into the air. Like come on Sonic, you're an acrobat. Do some cool shit. You can talk the talk (*writer depending), so walk the walk.

But yeah, what Sonikko said. Animations looking meh is annoying. But the game has much bigger issues that matter an awful lot more.

• Thumbs Up 5

since we're talking nitpicks with animation in here just gonna bring up that Sonic should punch through robots while boosting instead of just using his head ktxbye

QOBpM80.gif

• Thumbs Up 6