Awoo.

Sonic Forces: New Tag Team level confirmed

Speedi

8 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

since we're talking nitpicks with animation in here just gonna bring up that Sonic should punch through robots while boosting instead of just using his head ktxbye

QOBpM80.gif

sonic_heroes_funnie.jpg

4 hours ago, Sonikko said:

Why does every Forces thread have to turn into a crusade?

A 1 frame animation (can't even call it that, can't be an animation with just one frame lol) is bad, or are you guys going to argue it's above average like everything else?

Oh maybe it's because it's subjective? The footage is not your TV's direct feed, it's because of Youtube compression. No wait, it's because it's not out yet and we can't judge the demo, they'll totally fix it before release!

What's it gonna be this time?

Thank you for this. This isn't some indie developer giving proof of concept. This is a major corporation showing its product in an effort to draw positive responses and thus interest. 

We shouldn't be forgiving this game's unappealing elements under the assumption that they'll be fixed. We should be criticizing them and then, even if they are fixed, be fairly perturbed by the fact that these issues were present at all in a build so close to release. Because no matter how great the game may be on release, the present display has done at least a bit of damage to the Sonic brand-- to say nothing of this being right after Mania's effort to rebuild it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Thank you for this. This isn't some indie developer giving proof of concept. This is a major corporation showing its product in an effort to draw positive responses and thus interest. 

We shouldn't be forgiving this game's unappealing elements under the assumption that they'll be fixed. We should be criticizing them and then, even if they are fixed, be fairly perturbed by the fact that these issues were present at all in a build so close to release. Because no matter how great the game may be on release, the present display has done at least a bit of damage to the Sonic brand-- to say nothing of this being right after Mania's effort to rebuild it. 

I agree almost 100% with you.

IF, somehow, on release date, this game is COMPLETELY different than what they've shown us, and MIRACOLOUSLY those 5 levels are the only ones with botched up physics and bad level design and mechanics (impossible, the game has to be built around physics and level design philosophy doesn't change from one level to the other. Sure later levels will be more "complex" but not less lame), then it'd do no damage to the franchise, not at all.

But believing that would mean being delusional.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 hours ago, Sonikko said:

I agree almost 100% with you.

IF, somehow, on release date, this game is COMPLETELY different than what they've shown us, and MIRACOLOUSLY those 5 levels are the only ones with botched up physics and bad level design and mechanics (impossible, the game has to be built around physics and level design philosophy doesn't change from one level to the other. Sure later levels will be more "complex" but not less lame), then it'd do no damage to the franchise, not at all.

But believing that would mean being delusional.

But it's just the first level and you've not even played it yet!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 6

Maybe I'm some sort of weird alien creature for believing this but I like the way this level looks. I kind of see the straight line mentality but it's reminding me a bit of Generations more than what's being said from just looking at it. Perhaps it's because I'm really interested in the extensive trails of rings I'm seeing and which direction they're all heading in. Plus, some of the space in that area with the giant cogs looks like it wasn't explored fully. I want to go to the other parts of that level and see what else is there. And I probably can since it's an actual full 3D level. That said, it's also rather short and the end didn't look like it had a ton to offer in that regard.

So I liked it well enough. However, I'm not going to completely dismiss the concerns people are bringing up. I have no intention of challenging them one bit. They might be right after all. Perhaps going on one upper path versus a lower one or small deviations from one path to another isn't enough to justify it being okay.

I wouldn't really know. I'm not a game designer. I will say it does look better than the first modern stage in the city, because I hardly noticed any areas where you could make it through without changing up what you were doing in that one. No extra trails of rings off to the side or nothing. 

Whatever it is that people are looking for, I hope they find it. Most of what I'm lamenting is the same stuff I've had a problem with before, mainly the existence of the character creator gameplay with the wisps and Classic Sonic's (seemingly even less important as time goes on) inclusion.

I'm also really bothered that the prophecy surrounding Sonic's dialogue with that character is coming true. The way he says "Partner" in that stage... I can't help being embarrassed by it. It doesn't help that immediately after, the Forces theme starts to blare at me and it STILL sounds like Sonic's the one singing the song. 

Like he just broke into a musical about he's super best friends with your fan-character. 

I think I'm also really interested in the way this level looks specifically because it's one of those levels that starts you off in an area completely different than the area you end up, which is something that I always appreciate as it helps create the atmosphere behind it being an actual adventure. I'm mostly just interested in what I'll get out of the narrative. I hope this fan character thing doesn't get in the fucking way of what's been pretty acceptable dialogue up to this point. I can't ever be 100% satisfied with something now can I?