Awoo.

Your biggest worries about Sonic Forces?

Whatever the WhoCares

43 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Ah damn, sorry.
Eh, spoilered now.
Too late... Uh.. Yeah. Sorry.

No problem, it was bound to happen somehow ahahaha.

Sorry for the off-topic comments!

43 minutes ago, Bomber Blurr said:

My biggest fear is that Mania is gonna over SHADOW it with mediocre reviews.

Mania is gonna overshadow every Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

So far, my biggest fear is just about everything in Sonic Forces.

• Classic Sonic will pale in comparison to Sonic Mania, with the lack of the correct physics and the bland level design.
  •  Even the critics who thought that there was nothing wrong with Classic Sonic in Generations will now realize it because Mania will be fresh in their minds.
  • Modern Sonic's boost gameplay seems downgraded from the past installments since now White Wisps are required to gain boost instead of rings, meaning the game decides when you get to boost which is always in these long-ass linear corridors. And instead of trying to improve the gameplay by adding something new to it, it remains the exact same, so nothing to be excited about.
  • While Sonic Generations did its best to mix speed, platforming, and exploration into its level design with the Modern Stages (most notable stage is Seaside Hill), Sonic Forces' Modern Stages seem to be separating them into different sections of the stage. The first stage we saw, Sonic is running through a linear corridor (speed section) until he reaches a 2D section where there's platforming involved. In the recent tag team stage we just saw, it's the same exact problem; speed section, followed by a platforming section, followed by another speed section to reach the end of the goal. It doesn't mix these elements but instead separates them.
  • The Avatar's gameplay looks like a Gimmicky Modern Sonic without a boost and a bad jump. And as such, he shares the same problems as Modern Sonic, as we saw in the E3 demo, he goes to the same exact stage that Modern Sonic goes to but with slight changes. The Electric Whip he uses propels him forward whenever you activate it, just like the punches that Knuckles/Omega did in Sonic Heroes, which led to a lot of deaths.

SEGA, or more specifically, Sonic Team, don't learn from their mistakes. All the poor design choices and bad decisions have happened at some point in the past. 

• We thought that we no longer had to deal with linear level design in Boost Stages after Sonic Generations, but nope, they're back.
  • We thought we no longer had to deal with bad physics and bland level design in Classic Stages after Sonic 4's mistakes and Sonic Mania success, but nope, they're back.
  • We thought we no longer needed more than 1 or 2 gameplay styles in a Sonic game, but nope there's 3, and potentially 4 if you want to count the Tag Team stages.
  • We thought we no longer had to deal with Knuckles/Omega's poor punching controls that caused you a life, but nope, it's back with the Lightning Whip.

I want Sonic Forces to be a good game, but maybe I just can't seem to be happy with this game maybe because I'm over analyzing things. I hope I'm wrong about everything.

• Thumbs Up 8

-Dull level design

-Enemies just standing around waiting to be defeated(easily)

-Can't turn off dialogue

-Cant turn off lyrics in the songs(even Sonic R could do that...c'mon.)

• Thumbs Up 6

6 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, with the ruby from Mania constantly causing illusions, Fang, Bean and Bark being illusions, Chaos glitching in the Infinity trailer...

Not to mention the hole they're digging themselves into with putting way too much story/ character heavy elements in Forces, I also start to worry how  "real" anything is or if everything is just going to be some convuluted stupid illusion trick with nothing mattering.

Other then that, big concerns I have is whether this game really has a vision and plan for itself, or if this game is just a Frankenstein monster of leftover ideas, recycled assets and random requests with no heart and soul to itself.
That and i'm still waiting for the level design to turn into boring gimmicky labyrinths in the later levels. Don't know if it'll happen yet, but considering the previous few games...

........ you worried....about to much.....story........lordy lord.

Adventure -san adventure2-chan ...unleashed sensai get in here

My biggest worry is obvious; That Eggman's going to be upstaged by Infinite, undercutting his triumph of finally conquering the planet.

I feel like Sonic Team just doesn't believe in Eggman's ability to carry a more "serious" plot as the main villain, and relies too heavily on "bigger, badder" villains for their supposedly darker stories - even though Eggman thematically should be the main villain of a game where he's conquered the world.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 3

Honestly I'm worried that despite my defending it all this time it'll end up as bad as everyone is already anticipating it to be. I mean I'll probably like it but I'm easy to please but I'm certain it'll lead to a bunch of "Sonic was never good" nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

although i am getting this game day one

have to hold my judgement until I've beaten the game unlike  with mania: super excited but by time i was done it was total pants

i know forces is going to be playable (you wouldn't get that from the bastards who say every fucking thing about it is a mistake) because unlike many i did get to play the demo.

i see replayability factor in the wispons, and funnily enough the custom hero's model being used in cutscenes. 

this game was in development for over 5 years so as much as i try my expectations will still be high

• Thumbs Up 1

Bad review scores. The last thing, and I mean the absolute last fucking thing we need right now is another bad Sonic game that reviewers revile and rip apart, not after all of the respect and goodwill earned by Taxman and the rest of the team for their incredible effort. Going back to square one would just be the fucking worst.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Bad review scores. The last thing, and I mean the absolute last fucking thing we need right now is another bad Sonic game that reviewers revile and rip apart, not after all of the respect and goodwill earned by Taxman and the rest of the team for their incredible effort. Going back to square one would just be the fucking worst.

I'm more worried about it getting good reviews and Sonic Team thinking it's okay to keep making games like this. That would really be setting things back to square one.

• Thumbs Up 6

Honestly, I don't post much here (because time), but I do like to read and linger every so often.

I think I'm honestly less worried about the game and more concerned about the division the game is causing on the board in general haha! XD I mean, unless people are taking the mick and I'm not understanding the humour there seems to be a real disgust for anything put out about this game so far from (not from everyone I must stress). And whilst I can understand some pessimism after Sonic Boom... I personally really don't get it, we don't have the full game available to judge and if they'd shown off something along the lines of Sonic '06 or Sonic Boom or something that looks spectacularly unpolished then I'd probably have a better feeling of this dread that seems to be going around.

Am I missing the joke? Is it that I literally just don't care? Or maybe my standards might be lower? Yours might be higher? I dunno. Every mainline Sonic Game I've rolled with and had fun with so far. So I'm feel optimistic enough to not fret it'll be the same with this little number.

But this is the thread about the worries for the game so... hmmmm... I guess I'm concerned about the ditching of Sonic Boom and the replacement with The Customer Avatar Character. Although that's less a concern and more a "aww, man!". I know there is no official confirmation of this actually being the case but... C'MON! That Original 25th Promotional Picture, the Wispon Guns, the link and swing & the 'double boost' mechanic in team-up levels, this just speak volumes of what was to be. So it's a bit gutting to not see 3 Sonic's gloriously running about.

But it concerns me because it means Sonic Team didn't have enough faith in themselves to follow it up - and whilst I think Custom Avatar is a great idea whenever I see it next to Sonic and Co in levels or promos something just feels ever so slightly off and, empty. Maybe I will feel different once I've made something myself though so I'll have to wait and see. But I understand why they may have came up with this compromise for the 3rd gameplay element considering Boom's relative unpopularity in the game world thus far. It's just when Sonic Team try to give fans what they want they also lose faith a lot of the time during the process and especially given the more radical experiments. 

I say don't listen to us, dare us with your ideas.

To be honest i thought they were going somewhere good with Lost World, and given another numbered entry I think they've would rounded out that concept to better success. But hey, we're back to the Boost concept now, so I can't complain. That in itself became a polished speed fun of goodness by Generations - so what can go wrong really? Terrible level design and poor zone choices? Potentially. But so far it seems fine so I guess we'll just have to wait and see in November...

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

........ you worried....about to much.....story........lordy lord.

Okay, let me rephrase it.
Not so much too much story, as more "bringing in story elements that are all side branches from the main conflict.
Sonic adventure 2 has a lot of story, but it all flows naturally from what's going on, it doesn't bring in characters that have an extensive backstory and context tied to them unless the story directly deals with their identity as part of the plot.
Here you get Silver and Shadow and Zavok and Chaos all thrown on a pile, each having a sidebranch of personal backstory and history and context that needs to explained, which doesn't flow organically from the main story conflict.
At least, that's what I'm worried about. Of course it is possible the writers came up with an ingenius way to tie everything together in a neat bow, but considering their recent track record, I have little hope for that.

In other words, I'm worried they either have to stop the story dead in it's tracks to go explain backstories from other games, OR they just throw those characters into the fray with no context or explanation at all. "Hey look it's Shadow, Popular character from Member videogame?. He is glitch now and he hates friends. Go punch him."

And while a game with an RPG structure could get away with dealing with a story with many sidebranches, Sonic Adventure 1 has a more casual laid back rhytm to it that we can get to know the new characters and see what's up for a bit before the main plot kicks into high gear, (Or Unleashed that pretty much puts the story in the freezer for most of the running time) so far Forces doesn't give me the impression it has quiet moments to let the story settle in comfortably. It seems likely we jump from action piece to acton piece.

Of course the game can still surprise me and get things right. But hey, we're taking about worries we have, not reviewing facts, so yeah. Considering Sonic Team's recent track record of handling story, I wished they had a more straight forward aproach to plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Okay, let me rephrase it.
Not so much too much story, as more "bringing in story elements that are all side branches from the main conflict.
Sonic adventure 2 has a lot of story, but it all flows naturally from what's going on, it doesn't bring in characters that have an extensive backstory and context tied to them unless the story directly deals with their identity as part of the plot.
Here you get Silver and Shadow and Zavok and Chaos all thrown on a pile, each having a sidebranch of personal backstory and history and context that needs to explained, which doesn't flow organically from the main story conflict.
At least, that's what I'm worried about. Of course it is possible the writers came up with an ingenius way to tie everything together in a neat bow, but considering their recent track record, I have little hope for that.

In other words, I'm worried they either have to stop the story dead in it's tracks to go explain backstories from other games, OR they just throw those characters into the fray with no context or explanation at all. "Hey look it's Shadow, Popular character from Member videogame?. He is glitch now and he hates friends. Go punch him."

And while a game with an RPG structure could get away with dealing with a story with many sidebranches, Sonic Adventure 1 has a more casual laid back rhytm to it that we can get to know the new characters and see what's up for a bit before the main plot kicks into high gear, (Or Unleashed that pretty much puts the story in the freezer for most of the running time) so far Forces doesn't give me the impression it has quiet moments to let the story settle in comfortably. It seems likely we jump from action piece to acton piece.

Of course the game can still surprise me and get things right. But hey, we're taking about worries we have, not reviewing facts, so yeah. Considering Sonic Team's recent track record of handling story, I wished they had a more straight forward aproach to plot.

Nah I'm worried the final boss Wil be a let down like generation

s

That it lacks focus or a core identity. The promotional material for the game really just makes it seem like Sonic Team is throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks, it just stinks of this "I don't know, you tell us!" vibe, as if they're hoping something resonates with their audience that can help inform them what the fuck to even do with their franchise. This is evidenced by tacking on Classic Sonic, throwing in some bizarre character creator coupled with frankly lackluster looking gameplay, and damn near every villain and character they could pull out of their ass. It seems like they're doing for Modern was Mania did for Classic Sonic, but without the finesse or style, and perhaps even substance. The full game might ease that worry, but I have no reason to trust in this game based on what I've seen.

I worry too that Classic Sonic will return to more old zones. Green Hill looks atrocious, a point all the more emphasized by Mania's stellar take on the level. And really that's the issue, Mania did an outstanding job with its returning stages, to the point where - if Green Hill is any indication - Forces will not expand upon returning zones with nearly the same passion as Mania, and coming so close off the heels of that game (and perhaps even directly following it up narratively), that's a bummer. Regardless, Mania was about the last time I'm willing to tolerate returning stages, it's a crutch Sonic Team needs to abandon.

And last, I guess, is the music. At least for the classic stages. Straight up, it sounds like some Sonic 4 shit. It's bad. I'm not sure if the person responsible is tone deaf or just doesn't care, but I sure hope that changes before release.

Edit: Just heard Dubstep Speedway and boy, any remaining confidence I had in the music is gone. There's no consistency with the type of music either. You have bad chiptunes, ska, butt rock, and dubstep. Just... pick a fucking identity, Forces. Figure out what you want to be, you have three months.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm worried that Classic Sonic's level design isn't going to be on par with Generations, and the fact that we've only seen 1 act  and a boss for Classic really isn't that reassuring. I'm also worried that Forces caught the Dying Cats virus Sonic 4 had. The Green Hill music we've heard is not good at all. I really like the Boss theme for the Classic Sonic boss we've been shown, so there's at least some optimism.

Biggest worries:

1. Sonic Colors team's involvement within the game. Colors was an excellent attempt in revitalizing the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it in spite of it not being a proper depiction of the Sonic boost formula. My main gripe is how it translates to the majority of Modern Sonic's design where he has to grab wisp capsules that are only used to boost in linear, confined areas and is forced to slog through blocky platforming from what is shown in the trailers and they're not making any genuine attempt in refining the boost formula in the way Generations did. This philosophy worked effectively in Colors because it was not their main focus. They prioritized creativity and exploration and simply gave these linear boost sections in healthy doses, so it gave us a sense of speed without overstaying its welcome. That's not the case with Forces and I'm afraid that this is going to be a pervasive feature found in Modern Sonic's level design.

2. Overemphasis on 2D. What doesn't bother me is 2D, but how they've handled it. Giving us merely blocky platforming without any genuine attempt to diversify and even use them as level gimmicks is very disappointing. We're told that Modern Sonic is supposed to be non-stop speed and action to evoke immersion yet being forced to slog through 2D sections that consist of blocky platforming doesn't aid in that; in fact, it breaks the immersion. Mania is a stupendous example of 2D being done right and Generations is to a lesser extent because both reward you with speed even during these platforming sections provided you understand the level design and gives you something unique and interesting to look forward even during intricate platforming sections that are designed to contest and put your speed to the test.

3. Sonic Mania. After Sonic Mania's success, many fans including me will begin to draw comparisons to how Classic Sonic in Forces is designed relative to Mania Sonic and will begin seeing how imaginative Mania's interpretations of past levels were in comparison to past levels interpreted in Forces which may be subpar in comparison. We've witnessed how Green Hill Zone in Mania is recreated in comparison to Green Hill Zone in Forces and it blows it out of the water. People will begin drawing comparisons and seeing how everything in Forces fares against Mania and ultimately have their expectations crushed when it doesn't live up to Mania's standards.

4. Playable characters. I'm truly afraid that Sega will further detach themselves from the ensemble of characters they introduced for Modern Sonic and will only integrate Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, and the Avatar into its gameplay leaving the rest of the cast to play a rather insignificant role in the story.

5. The game's too easy. Forces from what is shown is heavily automated and has simplistic speed sections and platforming designed for both Modern Sonic and the Avatar. This does not reconcile with the idea that speed should be earned, not given. The main reason why Mania and Generations are so fun because speeding through isn't made to be an easy task. There's more nuance to how taking advantage of certain pathways or understanding level design in general can aid in completing a stage faster. Seeing Forces having vacuous difficulty in addition to severe linearity is going to make moving fast relatively mindless and hollow and just not fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

The comparisons to Mania.

How other characters are portrayed.

What will come after Forces: Will Sega finally give us other character to play as or are we stuck with Sonic and fill in the blank for a decade?

My biggest fear right now is that it will fuck up the good Reputation again that mania has just built up in the gaming World.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly for me, my biggest worry with this game is the heavily linear level design. Even comparing to other modern Sonic games, Forces sticks out as looking like it has very straightforward levels that only branch off for a second to get a red star ring and then continue down a boring path with almost no platforming. This is disappointing because Generations showed us that modern Sonic levels could be expansive and offer many ways to find secrets and get to the goal. I feel even Unleashed's level design was way more interesting than Forces'.

My biggest worry is that this game will do well enough for SEGA to create more like it.  I've never felt such a strong aversion to everything that I've seen in a mainline Sonic game before. If Forces sets the precedent for the series moving forwards, I'll probably lose all interest. Forces is not what I want Sonic to be on any level. It needs to last game to rely on nostalgia, Sonic Team's current design philosophies (including boosting, scripting and Generations-Classic, false-3D etc), misuse of the cast, custom characters and generally just throwing anything against the wall and seeing what sticks. "Sonic Forces 2" would be a disaster.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 24/08/2017 at 10:21 AM, Drunk Michael Myers said:

-Cant turn off lyrics in the songs(even Sonic R could do that...c'mon.)

You can't feel the sunshine.

BTW, there is such option in Sonic R????!!!!