Awoo.

Sonic Forces: Theme of Metal Sonic (US Stardust Speedway)

DiamondX

Ehhhhh... It's meh. Just like everything else in forces so far.  

It ain't bad but there's nothing special about it either. To be fair, I lost interest in dubstep years ago so it could just be my tastes in music. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

When I heard they uploaded Metal's theme, I thought it was going to be his Sonic 4 boss theme, was pleasantly surprised it wasn't.

It sounded aright  tbh, though I do agree that they could tone the dubstep down a bit, but coming from a person who couldn't really care about the US CD soundtrack, this was aright.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not terrible, though it's pretty lackluster imho. Guess that could be said for the majority of the music I've heard.

• Thumbs Up 4

I feel like i'm the only one that actually likes how Kenichi Tokoi remixed this song. It's basic yes. But if the Screenshots are to indicate anything, it might be a "Race". and the fast paced melody and synths seem to fit that idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just glad we got confirmation that Kenichi Tokoi is working on the soundtrack as well

oh and the theme, it's good, not my favorite though

Not a big fan of the US CD soundtrack, but I don't mind it's inclusion here.

Spoiler

The JP version was already in Mania so another version would just feel like a pale imitation of Tee's remix. Beyond redundant.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I don't like it, I'm glad they remixed the US version, the japanese has been done so many times...

1 minute ago, Zippo said:

Not a big fan of the US CD soundtrack, but I don't mind it's inclusion here.

Hide contents

The JP version was already in Mania so another version would just feel like a pale imitation of Tee's remix. Beyond redundant.

Like the inclusion of classic Sonic gameplay? Why not keep in theme?

/s

I've always found the US CD soundtrack to be on par with the JP one and on that note I prefer the US Stardust Speedway themes, so I'm mainly fine with this.

But man, is it now a given that any Metal Sonic appearance must be accompanied by a Stardust Speedway reference? It's getting old IMO.

It's okay, but kinda flat.  The track doesn't go anywhere, there's no ups and downs to it.  It feels like what would happen if you fed a midi of Stardust Speedway through some kind of auto-dubstep-creator program.  I actually felt Generations' US Stardust Speedway B Mix remix had the same issue though (the repetitive/flatness).  Even the original track had highs and lows of intensity and was one of the ones that was totally on par with the JP version.

But it's servicable, fittingly intimidating etc.

I'm just disappointed that it's NOT the Sonic 4 Metal Sonic theme though.  That song was the best thing Sonic 4 contributed to the series and I'm disappointed we're back to using Stardust Speedway as his main theme when that was like... the level's theme to me.

• Thumbs Up 5

Honestly, as much as I hate Sonic 4, I would have much rather have a remix of Metal's theme from that game instead. It's become a fan favorite for some.

• Thumbs Up 2

I prefer Generations US remix but this one has its charm. 

Though if Metal is a remixed track, remixes for the other villains? Shadow, Chaos and Zavok remixes?

I'm torn.

On the one hand, I'm happy that this is a remix of the US Version. The JP Original is indeed a top tier track, but this one has a darker atmosphere that's just as fitting. I like the energy here, it really sells the threat of a supercharged Metal Sonic. That, and it's good to see we're getting Kenichi Tokoi on board for this soundtrack.

On the other...I'm getting sick of the synths and dubstep. Even if it makes complete sense that they would go this route for the remix, it's everywhere right now. Not so much the dubstep, but the synths definitely. It's in the Main Theme. Infinite has it. Modern has it. Classic has it. Custom Hero lives and breathes it. I'm fine with synth, but I'd prefer it if this was more...metal.

Better yet, now I want a heavy metal remix of the theme from Sonic 4. That'd be neat.

• Thumbs Up 6

I noticed that in the last two screenshots, those cubes in the balls of energy that Metal Sonic has bear some resemblance to the cubes Infinite had used in the E3 trailer. This, along with the fact that the glitchy effect that surrounds Infinite is surrounding Metal as well, seems to support what others are saying about the villains being illusions or being mind-controlled by Infinite. In any case, the villains seem to be able to use some of Infinite's powers if this is the case.

However, one thing I don't get is that it was stated that Shadow is fighting for his own reasons. Regardless of the fact that he looked brainwashed in the Enter Infinite trailer, he couldn't have been if that was the case. 

Something else related to Infinite's power that I noticed is that it most likely comes from that gem-looking object in the middle of his chest. If you pause during the parts where Infinite is using his powers (the AMV-like part) in the Enter Infinite trailer, you'll see the energy coming from that gem.

Just wanted to point this out just in case nobody noticed it.

• Thumbs Up 4

>people saying this is dubstep

...have you heard actual dubstep? Cuz, while it does have wubs, it's certainly too fast to be considered dubstep. But I digress.

I see why people wouldn't really like this track, and I do agree it might be somewhat generic. Buuuuut as someone who is a sucker for this type of music, I really, really, REALLY like it!

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

>people saying this is dubstep

...have you heard actual dubstep? Cuz, while it does have wubs, it's certainly too fast to be considered dubstep. But I digress.

I see why people wouldn't really like this track, and I do agree it might be somewhat generic. Buuuuut as someone who is a sucker for this type of music, I really, really, REALLY like it!

Yeah there are differences between this and most dubstep. It's just easy for society to lump it all under one umbrella and call it "dubstep" because of the near universal agreement by people that don't listen to it often of what it sounds like 

Anyway, for me, song sounds bond and forgettable as fuck. 

As someone who first heard both the US and JP themes of this boss fight from Generations, I can comfortably say first hand that the JP one immediately got me bouncing around the room while the US one always sounded bland and uninteresting to me.

This isn't a bad track. It definitely sounds like the US theme. The US theme isn't bad either. It's just a hard thing to get excited about for me. 

I really like this remix. As far as dubstep goes, this is really tame and that's coming from someone who thinks most dubstep sounds terrible. No one gives the US version of Stardust Speedway enough love. Unfortunately, it looks like his boss fight will be in Park Avenue, meaning that he'll probably be an easier boss. 

What I don't like is the video itself. All of the goofy fucking shacking and color filters look ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, McGroose said:

I really like this remix. As far as dubstep goes, this is really tame and that's coming from someone who thinks most dubstep sounds terrible. No one gives the US version of Stardust Speedway enough love. Unfortunately, it looks like his boss fight will be in Park Avenue, meaning that he'll probably be an easier boss. 

What I don't like is the video itself. All of the goofy fucking shacking and color filters look ridiculous.

He looks to be fought 2 times, second being in a tunnel.

1 hour ago, Ayliffe said:

> isn't a remix of the godlike JP track

can Forces seriously get nothing right

Also yeah it's literally just the original with more dubstep so, uh, yeah - it's not very good.

Mania has the JP version covered already. It's only fair that this has only the US version to mesh with the dark tone. And IMO; this is better, or at least more fitting, than the Generations version. 

4 minutes ago, Diamond Dragon X said:

He looks to be fought 2 times, second being in a tunnel.

Mmmmaybe, but it might be a chase battle ala Silver's in Generations, and I could see the tunnel being part of the city.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh hey, it's the US Stardust Speedway theme! Wasn't actually expecting that... though I would've liked to see Metal's theme from Sonic 4 appear too.

Not sure how I feel about the techno-synth, though. It's got a better pace, fitting for the robot, but it's not exactly a style I enjoy. Eh, I might warm up to it.