Awoo.

Can anyone help with an Italian & Finnish Translation?

Badnik Mechanic

Not sure where to post this... 

So I'm hoping some SSMB users from Europe might be able to help out.

I'm working on a 'project' and I'm trying to get translations of some text, so far I've been able to get accurate translations into a number of different languages but missing Italian and Finnish.

This is the text I'm trying to translate.

Sonic's back and better than ever. He's a blur in blue! A blaze of action! With his new Super Drop Dash. And new, menacing enemies "The Hard-Boiled Heavies." You won't believe it 'til you see it. And when you play, you won't stop.

The words 'Sonic' Super Drop Dash and 'Hard-Boiled Heavies' won't need a translation.

But any help with the rest so that it's accurate and makes sense would be a huge help.

Do not tell me to use google translate or another auto converter as that will not give me an accurate translation. I have already exhausted Facebook and reddits translate section and these two languages are still eluding me for accurate translations, anyone on SSMB able to help?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be glad to help with the Italian translation. I'm a foreign languages student so I usually practice with translations.

Sonic è tornato ed è più in forma di sempre. È una scia blu! Un'esplosione di adrenalina! Ora con il nuovo Super Drop Dash e i minacciosi avversari mai visti prima, gli "Hard-Boiled Heavies." Se non vedi non credi, ma quando ci giocherai non riuscirai a smettere!

I did take some liberties to make it a correct adaptation, if you want a more literal translation I can do that too.

What's it for?

• Promotion 1

23 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

I'd be glad to help with the Italian translation. I'm a foreign languages student so I usually practice with translations.

Sonic è tornato ed è più in forma di sempre. È una scia blu! Un'esplosione di adrenalina! Ora con il nuovo Super Drop Dash e i minacciosi avversari mai visti prima, gli "Hard-Boiled Heavies." Se non vedi non credi, ma quando ci giocherai non riuscirai a smettere!

I did take some liberties to make it a correct adaptation, if you want a more literal translation I can do that too.

What's it for?

Oh wow! This is great thank you! I think that should be ok. 

As for what it's for, my partner and I are trying to make a really really high detailed Mania boxart, so we decided that we also wanted to include some EU translations like they had on the original boxes.

However, we discovered that the original boxes have very bad translations, and in some cases what's written there is completely different, so you can't be cheeky and simply change words like 'Sonic 3' to Sonic Mania' or the number of zones/emeralds to Mania as it doesn't quite work.

So we've been asking around, STC artist Ferran provided us with the Spanish translation, a few other Sonic fans helped out with a few others, we're just missing Finnish now. 

All what we need now is Finnish and... well we're finished! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I could manage the Finnish, considering I'm a native and all. :D

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Sonic's back and better than ever. He's a blur in blue! A blaze of action! With his new Super Drop Dash. And new, menacing enemies "The Hard-Boiled Heavies." You won't believe it 'til you see it. And when you play, you won't stop.

This translates into something like this;

Sonic on palannut parempana kuin koskaan. Hän on sininen salama! Roihuava liike! Mukanaan uusi Super Drop Dash -isku. Lisänä myös uudet, uhkaavat viholliset nimeltään "The Hard-Boiled Heavies" [translation would be something like "kovaksikeitetyt kovikset" I suppose] Uskot tämän vasta kun itse näet. Ja kun aloitat pelaamisen, et voi lopettaa.

So, if you manage to find any better, it would be a nice thing since this was a bit quick one. I put lighting instead of blur since it rhymed better, sorry. And the blazing part came up funnily since I couldn't come up anything else than to try and twist the blaze word and it's a bit silly in Finnish... maybe someone should tweak this a little...

And har har for that joke, I'll make a Fixit. :D

8 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Oh wow! This is great thank you! I think that should be ok. 

As for what it's for, my partner and I are trying to make a really really high detailed Mania boxart, so we decided that we also wanted to include some EU translations like they had on the original boxes.

However, we discovered that the original boxes have very bad translations, and in some cases what's written there is completely different, so you can't be cheeky and simply change words like 'Sonic 3' to Sonic Mania' or the number of zones/emeralds to Mania as it doesn't quite work.

So we've been asking around, STC artist Ferran provided us with the Spanish translation, a few other Sonic fans helped out with a few others, we're just missing Finnish now. 

All what we need now is Finnish and... well we're finished! 

Oh, cool. Please, let me know when they're done!

6 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

I could manage the Finnish, considering I'm a native and all. :D

This translates into something like this;

So, if you manage to find any better, it would be a nice thing since this was a bit quick one. I put lighting instead of blur since it rhymed better, sorry. And the blazing part came up funnily since I couldn't come up anything else than to try and twist the blaze word and it's a bit silly in Finnish... maybe someone should tweak this a little...

That's awesome! Thank you so much! 

5 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Will do.

SSMB saves the day!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

That's awesome! Thank you so much!

No prob, it might be a bit clunky so if someone can make it a bit better-flowing it would be sweet. But I suppose it's good enough, if you're not going to print it on some big-time paper...

And I can just imagine the horrendous monster Google Translate would summon, our words behave so differently from how they do in English, as you can probably see, andalso, there's no prepositions.

I suppose it's a good thing there're natives even around here, Finnish isn't too easy to learn after all if you aren't native. Trust me, the exact terms for different forms of words are something I've already forgotten in many times by now...

On 24/08/2017 at 11:20 PM, Sonikko said:

On 24/08/2017 at 11:19 PM, BlueSky said:

So you might as well have a look. This is the initial prototype.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always loved the PAL cover variant! Great job, it looks awesome! 

Are you guys planning on having a JAP variant too?

EDIT: The Hard-Boiled Heavies sketches on the background are the best part!

8 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Are you guys planning on having a JAP variant too?

The translations for that are going to be a nightmare unless anyone is willing to do a Japanese translation on the house.

It's certainly doable based on the sonic 1 Japanese Boxart since very little needs changing.

We're both actually thinking of making a moc cartridge next. 

Though we have had people asking if they could buy one which we're not against. It's just a shame that there are no "cheap" MD games anymore. Because it would be cool to stick a Mania label on random games and if people got one they could actually play a random game when they plugged it into their system.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking of printing a custom case myself, but there really are no cheap boxed MD games out there. The lowest price I saw was 15€, and it's a little bit too much just for a custom case.

I am planning to use the Collector's Edition cartridge if I ever get one, I saw a video and they fit perfectly inside MD cases.

As for Jap translations, I'm sorry but I can't help you. I'm sure there are some members around here or Retro that can read and write Japanese. I am part of a Polyglot group on Facebook, I could redirect you there in private and you could ask for help there. They're usually pretty efficient at that.

Oh gee what I've got myself into... :blink:

But that looks cool. Yeah, kind of sad that random-cartridge -thing won't be too likely to happen but eh, that's life I guess...

It's prolly easiest to try and find someone helpful enough to translate Japanese from the different forums and sites I suppose. -_-

Nice there's some progress though.