Awoo.

The Sonic Forces Custom Character Thread

Plasme

I'm hoping this thread won't get spammed like the last one. So please don't post hurtful, mean comments. Some of us do like Forces and don't like Mania. Please accept us. Different opinions is common to human race!

So please, post your custom character ideas and drawings you are going to put into Forces. I'm really excited for the prospect of a custom character creator, I can finally add the cool character I always wanted to play as in Sonic!

I always wanted to make a Fang the Sniper type character. So I'm thinking Fang but darker shade of purple, with all black clothing (like a jacket). Like if Fang was less comical and more like a dangerous assasin. I think that would be pretty cool!

I also think it would be pretty cool to make a darker version of Bark the Polar Bear since we can make Bears in the game. Bears are pretty dangerous so they fit the bill.

But the main purpose of this thread is to discuss the custom character tool, since it isn't getting a lot of discussion :)

I was never very interested in the custom hero, and to be honest, I'm still not. As someone who's been waiting for a return of established series' characters, and Forces seeming like the perfect game to do so, the reveal was disappointing, to say the least. I know they have a presence, it's not the same, and it's even more bothersome considering Mania delivers exactly what I'm looking for in terms of established characters and their use, despite not being the game I was looking for (I'd probably switch it up in a 3D title simply for preferences) and Forces somehow goes in the opposite direction.

I'm curious, however about all the custom hero options since, outside of the available species, we haven't seen a whole lot. And I'm also concerned that they're all within the same "Type" as Sonic, rather than allowing for more variation.

I know this all sounds really negative, but I'm actually just getting this out of the way because I do have an idea that I'd like to make.

Basically, I'd like to make a bird. A cardinal, if I can. From basic descriptions, the bird seems like it has the best utility with its double jump (which I believe Sonic still has in this game, but I'm not sure) and it'd probably make the best use of the Wispons. The wolf apparently has a magnetic ability, so that cuts in on the... Lightning Wisp's (I think?) ability to light dash, and it appears we don't have a trail remaining like Shadow the Hedgehog. I could be wrong, but it at least didn't appear in the tag team footage we saw the other day. And the Fire Wisp's jumping seems like it would complement that type of character. Not sure how well other forms will work, or even what all their functions are (I think Block is back?) Admittedly, only the wolf and bird really stuck out to me, so I'm not sure exactly what the others do (I think cats retain a ring or something and bears... homing attack for some reason???), but the bird seemed the most appealing of all the options and, owning a bird feeder, I've gained an appreciation for cardinals in particular. Depending on what options are provided, I don't know how close I'll get it because of their tails and beaks (the one in the preview appeared to have a parrot or hawk looking beak).

I also imagine I'd keep him relatively simple. Shades and certain types of gloves will suffice. I'm not too big on the feature being in a Sonic game, already, but whatever time I spend on it I'd like to keep it somewhat in line with, say, the Babylon Rogues.

I'm going to make a Bear, that much is sure. I haven't decided on a name yet, but I'm thinking of "Good Design," just to make sure it's in the game. 

I'm gonna make a rabbit. I don't know what ability the rabbits have, I just like rabbits. I'm either going to make my rabbit orange with blue complements or black with orange compliments. I'll need to see my options before I decide on a color scheme. I'll probably name the character after me. That's what I usually do when a game has a character-creator.

• Thumbs Up 1

Whenever I get the game it'll probably be a hedgehog, with a design similar to the original 4 (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy). So unique colour and hair, with white gloves and Red/White shoes of some kind. A name maybe based off his colour or the wispon i'll be using mostly (don't know what one at the moment though.)

Well thats my plan at the moment anyway. Once I see everything that's in the creator I might change that.

Most likely just try to make another Sonic lookalike. I don't really care about having my own OC.

We'll see though. Depends on how many options the cc has. I haven't really liked how any we've seen has looked so far though.

As long as I can make either a bear I'll be happy.

And knowing there's a freezing hammer, the idea of a Polar Bear is pretty tempting

I'll reserve judgement until I see what kind of utility the CaC builder has. We still haven't seen anything in the way of advanced fur shader's (that's the difference between making Chloe the Cat and Tom the Tiger).

I hope they have a bit of depth to it, giving us the options for stripes and spots. Cats become way more appealing if I have the option to make a Cheetah or a Snow Leopard. Same goes for dogs. A Shiba or Husky color map would probably be wildly popular.

But just on face value, a Wolf is where its at. Their ring magnet ability sounds perfect for someone like me who is confident enough to make it through stages w/o taking a hit. We've seen some seriously ludicrous ring totals pile up in the short stages we've seen so far. To me, that just screams that there is going to be some sort of ring shop, so a wolf character is probably the fastest route to unlocking everything.

As much disdain as I have for how much the custom character concept has been fucked up in Forces, I feel like it'd go a long way for Sega if they'd have given people a little accompanying web app to toy around with well in advance of the game's release so people can see the variation the character builder has for themselves. Considering fans have basically done the same thing in flash a few times over long prior to the announcement of Forces, it doesn't seem like it should be too much burden for Sega to do the same if it's to sell pretty much their star feature.

As for my char? I'll probably just remake my avatar and move on, though it definitely won't feel the same considering that an arm cannon is the only moveset option.

When this game somehow falls into my ownership, I'll probably take the piss and make that little concept art rabbit that ended up being the prototype for Ristar:

feel+the+rabbit.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Even if I was going to get the game, I doubt I'd be able to make a character I unironically liked with the limited options available.

So I'd probably make the dumpiest looking hedgehog. The anti-Sonic, the polar opposite of "cool", a guy who looked like he had no business being a hero.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 2

I'm going to make a Blaze espy so that Blaze (in my mind so there's a "third Sonic" in a way to make the trio complete having an alternate Sonic in the group) can be in it...Blaze's spirit/mind somehow is knocked out of her body and into that of a random resistance member.  Not wanting to freak anyone out and when she is put on the spot, she randomly calls herself "Flare The Cat" and after a few missions, get noticed for the unique acrobatic ability she demonstrates against the Egg Walkers and her, Sonic, and Classic Sonic make up the eventual trio of Sonic Forces.  I only say because Blaze does not seem to be in this game which is criminal.x_X  Then again, Blaze may be...something else entirely in Forces (it would be epic if what I'm thinking is true...we've seen the Phantom Ruby change material objects and warp time and space, so...).

While I do have a Sonic fan character/avatar, I like the red wolf a lot. Chances are that I'll go with that one (assuming it's default/template), unless there is somehow a combination that matches my avatar heh.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Even if I was going to get the game, I doubt I'd be able to make a character I unironically liked with the limited options available.

So I'd probably make the dumpiest looking hedgehog. The anti-Sonic, the polar opposite of "cool", a guy who looked like he had no business being a hero.

Mario?

Hmm...

320?cb=20150517024938

Something like that?

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'd make if I get the game. Partly because I want to see the rest of the species designs first, and partly because I just don't care enough about the Avatar in general. Chances are I'd probably just make a bird character, if only because of the double-jump.

6 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Mario?

Nahhh, man. Mario might be a bit unconventional and not traditionally cool, but there's an earnestness to him that makes it work. I'm thinking something more like Lester the Unlikely, but not necessarily a nerd.

Just now, Captain Metallix said:

Hmm...

320?cb=20150517024938

Something like that?

Not that anti-Sonic...

• Thumbs Up 4

latest?cb=20131021080352

Hm??

There are limited options but I don't know it's hard to know what I am going to make until I see the options. I have been avoiding spoilers about the game

• Chuckle 1