Awoo.

How many Sonic games are actually challenging?

Dscross

There were no trains in game gear games

There was a underground stage with mindcarts above lava and a metal pincer boss with eggman dropping metal balls on a slop

On 30/08/2017 at 3:26 AM, sonicdudeatdawn said:

I'm a weird one but it was a sonic game gear that gave me absolute hell. i don't remember which though, i do remember a train stage. 

does that sound familiar to anyone?

Sunset Park in Triple Trouble has a train as a boss.

As for the OP; my experience is fairly similar in that I didn't find the games difficult once I'd got a handle on platformers. Difficulty is a matter of perspective, though and I don't think Sonic needs to be hard to be fun.

On 02/09/2017 at 6:47 PM, Meta77 said:

There were no trains in game gear games

There was a underground stage with mindcarts above lava and a metal pincer boss with eggman dropping metal balls on a slop

Sonic Triple Trouble says hello ;)

latest?cb=20130808160256

I never found any Sonic game to be remotely challenging save for few annoying parts in them. The most difficult Sonic game I played would probably be Spinball, though honestly, I get sick of that game after a while of playing it, so I'm not really sure if that's a case of a game being too difficult for me or just one I can't stand playing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game gear games, especially Sonic 2 gave me quite a bit of trouble and I was stuck on the first zone for a long while. I'm pretty rubbish at Sonic Spinball too, I've come close to but have never beaten the first level :C My skills in Sonic 1 and 2 came from a lot of trial and error as well as developing game sense, as I learned when I played Sonic 3&K for the first time proper last year and had a rough first play through. 

I suck at the original Sonic 1since I was so accustomed to the spin dash, I've only beaten it through the Generations build with unlimited continues. 

On 04/09/2017 at 3:42 PM, Dannymax440 said:

I suck at the original Sonic 1since I was so accustomed to the spin dash, I've only beaten it through the Generations build with unlimited continues. 

Did that really make anything any harder though? You don't really need it to jump on enemies and collect rings. It's more for speed...

44 minutes ago, Dscross said:

Did that really make anything any harder though? You don't really need it to jump on enemies and collect rings. It's more for speed...

It's labyrinth and scrap brain zone where I got game overs a lot so it was stressing to be booted back to the first level and start over.

Out of all the Sonic games I played that are challenging, they would include

Sonic 1,2,3&K,

Sonic CD

Sonic Spinball

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic 1 and 2 on Gamegear

Sonic Shuffle

Sonic Adventure DX (mission mode only)

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Advance trilogy

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic 06

Story book games ( mission modes only)

Sonic Riders and Sonic Riders Zero Gravity

Sonic Rivals 1 and 2

Sonic Unleashed (HD version)

Sonic Lost World (both versions)

Sonic Mania ( I may not have gotten a Game Over, but it was still challenging at times, dang Oil Ocean Act 2 Boss...)

Only 27  Sonic games I played had challenging moments.

The easiest ones I played were 

Sonic R

Sonic the Fighters

Sonic Battle

2 Sonic Rush Games

Sonic Unleashed ( Wii/PS2 version)

Sonic Colors (Both versions)

Sonic Generations ( both versions )

All 3 Sonic Boom games

Only 13 Sonic games felt felt easy or not challenging enough. 

I would have listed Sega Super Stars Tennis, and the Sonic & Sega racing games, but they are more like crossover games. The gameplay in those weren't too challenging, but the missions were very hard at times.

13 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Out of all the Sonic games I played that are challenging, they would include

Sonic 1,2,3&K,

Sonic CD

Sonic Spinball

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic 1 and 2 on Gamegear

Sonic Shuffle

Sonic Adventure DX (mission mode only)

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Advance trilogy

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic 06

Story book games ( mission modes only)

Sonic Riders and Sonic Riders Zero Gravity

Sonic Rivals 1 and 2

Sonic Unleashed (HD version)

Sonic Lost World (both versions)

Sonic Mania ( I may not have gotten a Game Over, but it was still challenging at times, dang Oil Ocean Act 2 Boss...)

It's a stretch to call Mania challenging if you got NO game overs and you hit a little road block at ONE boss. I think we may differ in our conception of challenging.

i have no idea how people find S1, S2 S3&k, Sonic CD or even 3D blast hard - they just aren't at all. The handheld ones aren't difficult except for finding the chaos emeralds (with the exception of GG Sonic 2 which is legitimately hard on your first go). Sonic 06 is only hard in places because it's broken. Equally, Heroes because it has ice physics. Shadow was just boring rather than hard. It's just a chore. sonic adventure 1 or 2 hard? haha.

Think the rest you listed are probably a matter of skill level, but i personally only found the 4 I listed in the OP in any way hard on my first run through.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Sonic games are usually hard when it's just going through the levels, aside from some games like Sonic Unleashed (Eggmanland), or Sonic Spinball (the whole game). It's usually the additional missions, ranks, etc where the difficulty lies IMO.