Awoo.

Sonic Forces devs to teach what good level design is about

ChikaBoing

6 minutes ago, Hottub said:

This is too funny to me since Sonic Forces is looking to have some of the blandest level design in the entire series. 

3 minutes ago, Nintendoga said:

Sonic Team teaching future game developers about good level design is fucking horrifying. 

I mean they made games other than Sonic Forces but okay.

Sonic Team... teaching about 'good level design'... and using Forces as an example?

I'm dreadfully curious to hear how this plays out...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

I wanna give Sonic Team the benefit of the doubt but level design-wise as far as Forces is concerned, they haven't really shown off anything worthy of emulation. I don't really concsider open spaces of nothingness and narrow corridors of nothingness to be good level design.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

Well, Sonic Forces (as Forces stands right now, it doesn't seem like a good game) isn't the only bad game in the franchise but we all have selective memory it seems.

camilla.png

• Thumbs Up 8

5 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

You mean the other tons of bad games they made? Or the one or two good 3D Sonics with above average level design?

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Apollo Justice said:

Well, Sonic Forces (as Forces stands right now, it doesn't seem like a good game) isn't the only bad game in the franchise but we all have selective memory it seems.

camilla.png

5 minutes ago, Nintendoga said:

You mean the other tons of bad games they made? Or the one or two good 3D Sonic's with above average level design?

Right, right, I remember now, Colors and Generations are actually bad, my mistake.

I'm sure the gaming industry would do so much worse after this event, seeing how they'll just take everything they say wholesale and copy them word for word.

The Forces devs consists of both the Color's Team and Generations' Team, so those two games are the only things that matter as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't help that they stripped away whatever made those games so great in the first place with Forces though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Right, right, I remember now, Colors and Generations are actually bad, my mistake.

I'm sure the gaming industry would do so much worse after this event, seeing how they'll just take everything they say wholesale and copy them word for word.

Colors and Generations was 7/6 years ago my guy.
That's like saying Dimps can teach us about good level design cause they made the Advance games and Rush.

• Thumbs Up 2

They didnt say they're bad, they just said that sonic team don't have a good track record, 2 good games don't excuse the 10 awful ones you made and they should be the last people teaching people about level design.

Just now, NoKaine said:

Right, right, I remember now, Colors and Generations are actually bad now, my mistake.

I'm sure the gaming industry would do so much worse after this events, seeing how they'll just take everything they say wholesale.

Wow, apparently there's only 3 games in the series, right right.

c3ITvIM.png

For some reason I thought there was way more.

9 minutes ago, Nintendoga said:

Sonic Team teaching future game developers about good level design is fucking horrifying. 

In the end, it doesn't mean much. Japanese developers don't make platformers outside of Sonic Team and Nintendo.

CEDEC also had Sonic 4 Episode 1 featured once as a successfull smartphone game. Hedgehog Engine demonstration also existed.

7 minutes ago, Apollo Justice said:

Wow, apparently there's only 3 games in the series, right right.

c3ITvIM.png

For some reason I thought there was way more.

7 minutes ago, Nintendoga said:

Colors and Generations was 7/6 years ago my guy.
That's like saying Dimps can teach us about good level design cause they made the Advance games and Rush.

We can't say Sonic Team can say anything on good level design because they had bad games with bad level design.

Of course, they had good games with good level design, including the original games that Mania is based off of, but those don't count because there are still bad games, obviously.

Also can't use Colors and Generations as reference for good level design because they're old. Even though Sonic Team has made a whopping one game since those two. A game that plays entirely differently from those two games, and also plays entirely different than the upcoming game, which plays closer to the former two games.

are you really using 20 year old games as a defense for sonic team

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 6

2 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Of course, they had good games with good level design, including the original games that Mania is based off of, but those don't count because there are still bad games, obviously.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did the Genesis games, right.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did the Genesis games, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did the Adventure games, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did Heroes, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did '06, or Secret Rings, or Black Knight, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did Unleashed, Colors, Generations-- wait! They are. Eh, some of them.

I mean we can't play the "We can't credit today's Sonic Team for the Genesis games" and the "We can credit today's Sonic Team for '06" at the same time.

"As you can clearly see, we strategically designed this straight line here on top of this straight line there, fully expressing our vision and engaging the player in ways that were never before possible until entering the new era of modern technology."

I'm messing around, but yea...It's so funny they choose this of all times to explain their design process. I'm genuinely curious how they're going to distinguish the 2D and 3D sections if they discuss that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 5

Just now, NoKaine said:

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did the Adventure games, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did Heroes, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did '06, or Secret Rings, or Black Knight, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did Unleashed, Colors, Generations-- wait! They are. Eh, some of them.

I mean we can't play the "We can't credit today's Sonic Team for the Genesis games" and the "We can credit today's Sonic Team for '06" at the same time.

I don't recall ever crediting them for 06

You know what we can credit them for tho'? Sonic Forces.

Can't wait for people to get mad over boost pads one more time. Gonna grab some popcorns from Studiopolis.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3