Awoo.

Sonic Forces devs to teach what good level design is about

ChikaBoing

3 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

I don't recall ever crediting them for 06

In general, if today's Sonic Team can't be credited for the old good games they made, they can't be credited for the old bad games they made either.

You know what we can credit them for tho'? Sonic Forces.

Damn skippy.

Now whether or not Forces as a whole is a bad example of level design, or that Sonic Team is actually incapable of teaching good level design ("do as I say, not as I do", y'know), we'll have to see, won't we?

7 minutes ago, family guy said:

We can credit 06 to some of today's Sonic Team tho 
SKy8XFV.png

Do you know how little a producer actually has to do with the actual game.

Quite little. He isn't the director, or any programmer or has any seat in actually designing the levels of the game.

He's working on the story, but this isn't a Literary 101 class.

And if Forces is bad, it won't be Sonic '06 bad, nor does it seem to have its issues, anyhow.

I too can't wait to hear them explain how putting dash panels in automated tunnel sequences, and having enemies that stand there and shoot a projectile sometimes lined up together in a row, are examples of good level design.

1 hour ago, NoKaine said:

Do you know how little a producer actually has to do with the actual game.

Quite little. He isn't the director, or any programmer or has any seat in actually designing the levels of the game.

He's working on the story, but this isn't a Literary 101 class.

And if Forces is bad, it won't be Sonic '06 bad, nor does it seem to have its issues, anyhow.

This is blatantly false. A game producer has everything to do with setting the design intentions and parameters as to how the game is made, as well as being responsible for how the game comes together as a product during development in the first place. 

Do you think that Forces having Nakamura as a producer/story writer and being the first Sonic game in years to break away from the recent string of goofy and plot-irrelevant Sonic games in favor for a serious tone and presentation from earlier 3D Sonic games (to the point of having former villains from that era returning and having a new villain inspired from that era) is all a sheer coincidence?

• Thumbs Up 5

Anybody who attends this conference needs to be put on a hiring blacklist, so they cannot contaminant the rest of the world!

To be fair, Green Hill Zone Classic was a pretty well designed opening level. Sure the actual physics etc. were off base, but the actual design of the stage and the way visual cues are use and camera positioning was pretty decent.

The big problem is, Sonic Team either forgot they knew how to design decent levels or simple do not care enough to try any more.

a topic with the motivation of spurring more disagreements between lovers of the same franchise, based entirely on early stages we have seen for an upcoming game

how incredibly foolish.

53 minutes ago, Scar said:

To be fair, Green Hill Zone Classic was a pretty well designed opening level. Sure the actual physics etc. were off base, but the actual design of the stage and the way visual cues are use and camera positioning was pretty decent.

The big problem is, Sonic Team either forgot they knew how to design decent levels or simple do not care enough to try any more.

If you're referring to Green Hill from Generations, it's worth noting Generations was designed and directed by by a different group of Sonic Team staff. Forces has the same director/lead game designer of the Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games (Storybook series, Colors, Lost World) helming the project.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, sonicdudeatdawn said:

a topic with the motivation of spurring more disagreements between lovers of the same franchise, based entirely on early stages we have seen for an upcoming game

how incredibly foolish.

Easy there, Infinite

1 minute ago, Yeow said:

If you're referring to Green Hill from Generations, it's worth noting Generations was designed and directed by by a different group of Sonic Team staff.

Pretty sure he meant Forces' Green Hill.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I like how you pointed out that it's specifically the devs of Sonic Forces who are teaching good level design.

I am actually at a loss for words. Let PagodaWest teach, they've done a better job than Sonic Team could ever wish for.

• Thumbs Up 4

Holy shit, I swear to God I came into this thread thinking it was some joke by a random member.

Sonic Team are you dense?

• Thumbs Up 2

Pfft, whatever guys. At least they have self respect for their own work.

Even if it is in the wrong.

5 hours ago, Riseodvi said:

The Mania team during the whole presentation:

mario.thumb.jpg.a615b3349fd8e5fa4611bfd73d80086a.jpg

Where the heck did these Mario renders come from? I've never seen 'em in my life!

• Thumbs Up 3

The reactions are as eye roll worthy as was expected.  *Sigh*

This oughta be good.

Maybe their doing it to get responses from fans to see what designs they like and don't like. Yknow, like an experiment. Like this:

Audience: ?????????

Audience: ??????☹??????? 

Notice how there are more bad reactions than good.

10 hours ago, NoKaine said:

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did the Adventure games, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did Heroes, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did '06, or Secret Rings, or Black Knight, right.

You do know that the Sonic Team working on the games today aren't the same guys who did Unleashed, Colors, Generations-- wait! They are. Eh, some of them.

I mean we can't play the "We can't credit today's Sonic Team for the Genesis games" and the "We can credit today's Sonic Team for '06" at the same time.

No but the Sonic Team of today did do Lost World sooooo