Awoo.

SSMB Time Trial Showcase: Sonic Mania | "NEW RECORD!!"

The Deleter

9 hours ago, The Deleter said:

You're definitely doing it the right way, but you can shave off quite a few seconds if you manage to get through the entirety of the first platforming section without stopping. It's probably more important than dropdashing, tbh. Remaining in a spindash for the entirity of the first straightaway is probably the fastest option there is, as well, instead of jumping at the hill and then dropdashing again.

Overall you just need to be really aware of how much you can slow down when jumping in the air, when dropdashing or fluidity is more beneficial than the other, and what parts of the level may hinder you more than they need to (*coughIfoundanotherbetterpathcough* << >>) and you should be able to shave a good 4 seconds off your runtime overall. Which... is exactly what the top times are, above 28 seconds, lol.

Ah nah that means I took the same route as you. I just can't find a way to make it faster? 

Yeah I'm just not doing it anymore. tbh speedrunning games is more fun for me as an observer and not as a participant. Trying to get the score I got actually hurt my fingers and "physically miserable" is pretty much my limit when it comes to playing a video game.

I can't believe this was possible, but I managed to get 49.57 seconds in Studiopolis Act 1 (Sonic) without any exploits:

Spoiler

No automatic alt text available.

I am definitely at my limit here.

9 hours ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Yeah I'm just not doing it anymore. tbh speedrunning games is more fun for me as an observer and not as a participant. Trying to get the score I got actually hurt my fingers and "physically miserable" is pretty much my limit when it comes to playing a video game.

I am not even trying to do speedrunning. It would collide with the primary objective of why I had bought the game, for fun.

Plus, there could have been a special option for gameplay, Time Attack, but with bosses. Plus if it had cut off any attached things to change addresses in the file, that would be a challenge for me.

4 hours ago, superman43 said:

I am not even trying to do speedrunning. It would collide with the primary objective of why I had bought the game, for fun.

Plus, there could have been a special option for gameplay, Time Attack, but with bosses. Plus if it had cut off any attached things to change addresses in the file, that would be a challenge for me.

Honestly I'd probably like it more if not for the fact that I have to use an Xbox One controller, with its hard raised face buttons that hurt after mashing them consistently for a prolonged period of time. Part of why the six button is my preferred controller for 2D retro platformers is because it's light, squishy, and the buttons are concave, which make them a lot less hell on the fingers.

But you know haw haw no d-input support, fuck it!

After getting 1:24 on Metallic Madness Act 1 (Sonic), I decided to watch and see how the top speed runners were actually playing the stage. Much to my consternation, they weren't using any glitches at all, but used a lower pathway that I never thought of using. Because of that, I managed to get 1:05.44 on the stage:

Spoiler

No automatic alt text available.

image.thumb.png.b5d67e1d89eed6f0bc22c2d24744179c.png

Just got a glitchless 00'40"40 on Chemical Plant act 1 PC version as Sonic.

I swear that blue blob thing just before the booster that can launch you up to those floating platforms is random. I've lost so many runs to that thing, but I'm willing to bet it's on a global cycle.

I... I can't believe I literally managed to speedrun Stardust Speedway Act 2 in 35 seconds...  I just finished getting all gold medals for Blue Spheres and casually decided to speedrun it, and all of a sudden I found a new way to shave off some seconds and I quickly put it to use and bam. Here I am. 

Stardust Speedway Act 2 (Sonic)

00'35"48

I swear Stardust Speedway is my absolute favorite zone in Mania. I can never get enough of it! <3

received_1461835893852095.jpeg

My times.  Keep eyes on this one. I've got it bookmarked and will keep it updated

Spoiler

Green Hill

1 - 0:55:47 (Tails) 

2 - 1:06:27

Chem Plant

1 - 1:10:44

2 - 2:21:51

Studiopolis

1 - 1:23:63

2 - 1:54:52

Flying Batt

1 - 1:49:42

Stardust Speedway

1 - 2:40:00

2 - 0:53:71

These are all Sonic for now

Took a few days off from playing Sonic Mania and managed to set a PR of 1:16.96 on Oil Ocean Act 2 (Sonic). This actually took many runs, but I managed to figure out a very obscure alternate pathway in the process. I can definitely shave 3-5 seconds here:

Spoiler

Image may contain: text

• 1 month later...

Stardust Speedway is incredibly difficult to get a good time in. I'm surprised Werster got a time at 50 seconds. I managed to squeeze a 1'16''20 as Sonic.

6A1E0763DBAEEDD2A530979F38A82D7EFA643D3B