Jump to content
Awoo.

Sonic Mania: Sequel Speculation (Spoilers)


AWild No.1 washed up gamer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Slingerland
3 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Contractors looking for work has nothing to do with the chances of a Mania sequel being produced.

Be smart like Zaysho.

@Jack the Maniac You know I am Brad, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indigo Rush
3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Thanks for this very useful advice. I meant that there are no current plans for Mania 2 at the moment, if he is not even working on Plus, I guess they finished the development for the extra stuff.

You... know who that is, right?

10 minutes ago, Hunty said:

Brad has to pay rent confirmed?

You mean you guys don't share a bunk bed with Iizuka-san???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red Hot Jack
9 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

You... know who that is, right?

Yeah, I've known him since he was making fangames a long time ago, but I don't really care, I did not like his reply, sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2018 at 5:58 PM, Jack the Maniac said:

Yeah, I've known him since he was making fangames a long time ago, but I don't really care, I did not like his reply, sorry.

With all due respect, Jack, the way you worded your reply did not imply that the connection was made. When replying to somebody directly using a quote you'd normally use second person when referring to that person. Not third person. Of course, this is probably just some poor wording, but words matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MegasonicZX
6 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Yeah, I've known him since he was making fangames a long time ago, but I don't really care, I did not like his reply, sorry.

I don't think it was supposed to be antagonistic really but fair dues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alrighty, let's carry on before this becomes a way bigger deal than it needs to be. The air surrounding Brad's potential involvement in future Sonic games has already been cleared up now, or at least as equally clear as it was before he made that unrelated tweet. So go back to general sequel speculation and stuff.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indigo Rush

Not necessarily. We can always have this thread open for general news as it comes in, as well as express hopes and desires for the hypothetical next entry.

I kinda miss those days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Not necessarily. We can always have this thread open for general news as it comes in, as well as express hopes and desires for the hypothetical next entry.

I kinda miss those days. 

I remember when we did that for Sonic 4 Ep2 & Ep3. Was fun speculating and stuff.

Mania-Plus is a positive sign towards maybe getting a Mania 2 someday. If we do eventually get a sequel then regardless as to who develops the game (as long as it's the same kind of creative fan community like Taxman & co) then I'm sure it'll be in good hands.

So yeah, this topic should remain open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I hope we get a director’s commentary mode for the game, with commentary playing at specific references. This could reveal interesting details, and clarify whether some things are coincidences or actual references (like the fireworks in Stardust Speedway possibly referencing Generations 3DS)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonic Fan J
On 4/10/2018 at 11:04 AM, TheOcelot said:

I remember when we did that for Sonic 4 Ep2 & Ep3. Was fun speculating and stuff.

Mania-Plus is a positive sign towards maybe getting a Mania 2 someday. If we do eventually get a sequel then regardless as to who develops the game (as long as it's the same kind of creative fan community like Taxman & co) then I'm sure it'll be in good hands.

So yeah, this topic should remain open.

My only concern right now is that SEGA sees Plus sell well and decides to greenlight not a sequel, but a Capcom-esque extra edition.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

I hope we get a director’s commentary mode for the game, with commentary playing at specific references. This could reveal interesting details, and clarify whether some things are coincidences or actual references (like the fireworks in Stardust Speedway possibly referencing Generations 3DS)

That would be one of the coolest things they could do. Just as nifty as all of the trivia would be the things we could learn about the franchise would potentially be mind boggling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red Hot Jack

So, what graphics should a possible sequel have? I'd be down for HD, but since most people don't think it fits Classic games, let's scrap that thought, what about hand drawn graphics? Or possibly, improved 2D graphics like Mega Man 11, that's what I would go for, a new graphic style.

Now about the characters, it definitely needs Amy obviously, I would give her new moves:

Normal Spin Jump 

Uncurled Dash (like in Advance)

Double Hammer Jump and maybe a triple jump (like... I dare to say... Boom? That was a pretty good idea actually)

I would keep Mighty and Ray, or maybe as DLC again. I would like to see more characters though, possibly: Honey, and yep... the Freedom Fighters, particularly, Sally, Antoine and Bunnie, I think they are very popular and if there's somewhere they could fit, that's the classic branch, in my opinion. Rotor not so much as a playable character, maybe it's because I don't like him, but the others could be interesting to play as. Now, if there are many characters, it's impossible to have all of them with unique routes, but each character can have their own move so that they can reach a high place (Tails with flight, Knuckles with climb, Sonic with a wall jump, maybe? And Amy with triple jump), that way they can play through the stages in unique ways. I doubt they would add so many characters, it's unlikely but just an idea.

For the villains, I'd like a new set of Hard Boiled Heavies, without the Phantom Ruby involved, since they are a bit like Robot Masters, a new set could be a good idea. Also, more that could fit in the classic-verse: Tails Doll, Metal Knuckles, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, as bosses.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonic Fan J
3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

So, what graphics should a possible sequel have? I'd be down for HD, but since most people don't think it fits Classic games, let's scrap that thought, what about hand drawn graphics? Or possibly, improved 2D graphics like Mega Man 11, that's what I would go for, a new graphic style.

Now about the characters, it definitely needs Amy obviously, I would give her new moves:

Normal Spin Jump 

Uncurled Dash (like in Advance)

Double Hammer Jump and maybe a triple jump (like... I dare to say... Boom? That was a pretty good idea actually)

I would keep Mighty and Ray, or maybe as DLC again. I would like to see more characters though, possibly: Honey, and yep... the Freedom Fighters, particularly, Sally, Antoine and Bunnie, I think they are very popular and if there's somewhere they could fit, that's the classic branch, in my opinion. Rotor not so much as a playable character, maybe it's because I don't like him, but the others could be interesting to play as. Now, if there are many characters, it's impossible to have all of them with unique routes, but each character can have their own move so that they can reach a high place (Tails with flight, Knuckles with climb, Sonic with a wall jump, maybe? And Amy with triple jump), that way they can play through the stages in unique ways. I doubt they would add so many characters, it's unlikely but just an idea.

For the villains, I'd like a new set of Hard Boiled Heavies, without the Phantom Ruby involved, since they are a bit like Robot Masters, a new set could be a good idea. Also, more that could fit in the classic-verse: Tails Doll, Metal Knuckles, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, as bosses.

For graphics I could see going for more of a hand drawn look as that was the inspiration my younger brother and I had for this unfinished (honestly, barely even started) sprite

As for characters I'd stick with what Mania and Plus gave us plus Amy, though if a sequel were to still be following the original formula I wouldn't give her an uncurled dash because that steps away from the design concept of the original formula. I like the idea of the triple jump though, even if I would instead give her the ability to grab onto badniks turning them into their own kind of moving platform.

For villains I'm good with just Eggman if we're going full on sequel. The idea of treating the HBH like the Robot Masters from Megaman is also a neat idea, though I wouldn't want too many because taking on Eggman in his latest and greatest invention is always fun to me just to see what he's come up with this time.

 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe graphics could be like Sonic 2 HD:

If you all want to download it (I'm waiting until June when I'll have free wifi):

https://sonic2hd.com

It'd be cool to see the 5 from plus return, as well as Amy, Nack, and (possibly) Tiara Boobowski.

 

More theme remixes and new stages!  I had some ideas for stage names: Sunset Safari Zone, Aurora Bliss Zone, and Crystal Highway Zone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spooky Mulder

Something in the visual style of Sonic 2 HD would definitely be my preference but I don't know if that would be something Taxman and company have the experience to take on. Before making Mania, they proved their skills developing the Retro Engine. I don't know enough about game design and coding to know how easily that background could be applied to a project like this.

That said, I would love to see it happen. I think a beautiful HD Sonic game made in 2D is exactly what the franchise needs after Mania.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MegasonicZX

Never really liked the look of HD, I far prefer sprite based in cases like this. Especially with how beautiful Mania's spriting is, I wouldn't want to give it up for something that just looks so dry in comparison.

  • Thumbs Up 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skull Leader

The things I would look forward to Mania 2:

* Amy Rose. Not only do I want to see Amy being playable once more in a Genesis styled game because of her gameplay potential (especially if she is molded after the Advance moveset, featuring all abilities exclusive to her while adding some improvements. I definitively would not accept anything less, as I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of making Amy a semi-clone of Sonic like with Tails or Knuckles) but because it would also be the first time Classic Amy would be playable. Additionally, I'd love if this time around she were to, in terms of story, be given a big role since I think that after 20+ years of never been given the same push as Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. Amy deserves her shot at being in the spotlight more prominently.

* No more rehashing. I think that a sequel to many deserves to stand on it's own without relying on nostalgia as a crutch. I would greatly appreciate it if the game where to have more unique and original zones, while aiming to create an atmosphere ala Sonic CD.

* DLC characters: The Chaotix. All three of them, ideally with new moves too. (and a Charmy that doesn't break the game)

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your Vest Friend

You know, I'm wondering if SEGA would even greenlight the use of other characters potentially in the character library.

I mean, when thinking back, it's really only Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean and Bark that have been referenced at all for a long time. They were the ones with posters in Generations, they were the ones thrown around as early ideas for characters in Heroes. But the Battle Kukkus? Witchkart and her minions? Heavy and Bomb? Not a peep, the only time you really hear of them is when their games get re-released. 

Okay, if you look in the 3D space it opens up to Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles (both with designers who worked on the franchise this decade, and one who inexplicably showed up in LEGO Dimensions thanks to the link to the developer), but that's not a whole lot. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MegasonicZX said:

Never really liked the look of HD, I far prefer sprite based in cases like this. Especially with how beautiful Mania's spriting is, I wouldn't want to give it up for something that just looks so dry in comparison.

I also prefer sprites and think it is the way to go for 2D Sonic. I mean, HD has its place but if done Sonic 4 style it looks very plastic-y. S2HD looks nice but still prefer the original. 

12 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

The things I would look forward to Mania 2:

* No more rehashing. I think that a sequel to many deserves to stand on it's own without relying on nostalgia as a crutch. I would greatly appreciate it if the game where to have more unique and original zones, while aiming to create an atmosphere ala Sonic CD.

This. If Mania 2 ever happens, let the team go wild with level design and themes. You all know they can get it right. Also, bring back quicker bonus stages but not the classic ones, go wild here also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

You know, I'm wondering if SEGA would even greenlight the use of other characters potentially in the character library.

I mean, when thinking back, it's really only Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean and Bark that have been referenced at all for a long time. They were the ones with posters in Generations, they were the ones thrown around as early ideas for characters in Heroes. But the Battle Kukkus? Witchcart and her minions? Heavy and Bomb? Not a peep, the only time you really hear of them is when their games get re-released. 

Okay, if you look in the 3D space it opens up to Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles (both with designers who worked on the franchise this decade, and one who inexplicably showed up in LEGO Dimensions thanks to the link to the developer), but that's not a whole lot. 

The only one other than those five (other than Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles) I see with a chance is Honey due to her association with those five. Maybe Max the Parrot as well, due to Oshima being behind him and him being proposed with Mighty, Ray, and Vector back then. Otherwise, I think the Mania team will have to make new characters, while the rest are at best only in comics (the last time Witchcart appeared outside of a comic was Sonic Tweet, so I assume that Tweet is on par with the comics in significance) and other such material, and at worst gone for good. While the Heavies really weren’t my thing, I’d be quite interested to see what else they can come up with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really really hope the classic Chaotix aren’t off limits and locked off in the modern continuity. Though I’m 99% sure Iizuka wouldn’t allow them to show up in potential Mania sequels or Mania Adventures or anything like that much to my dismay since they’ve been “remade as new characters” for Heroes and have been given entirely new lore.

But the measly one percent chance they still could appear at some point gives me some hope. They could definitely just have them show up with their current lore. Them all being detectives and having little nods to their adventures on Carnival Island. None of the characters quirks and characteristics were ever mentioned in game so Charmy being sophisticated and 16 during Knuckles Chaotix doesn’t really matter and wouldn’t contradict anything. Plus Knuckles and Mighty being bros with each other gives me a sliver of hope for the other Chaotix boys.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skull Leader
On April 29, 2018 at 4:17 AM, VEDJ-F said:

You know, I'm wondering if SEGA would even greenlight the use of other characters potentially in the character library.

I mean, when thinking back, it's really only Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bean and Bark that have been referenced at all for a long time. They were the ones with posters in Generations, they were the ones thrown around as early ideas for characters in Heroes. But the Battle Kukkus? Witchkart and her minions? Heavy and Bomb? Not a peep, the only time you really hear of them is when their games get re-released. 

Okay, if you look in the 3D space it opens up to Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles (both with designers who worked on the franchise this decade, and one who inexplicably showed up in LEGO Dimensions thanks to the link to the developer), but that's not a whole lot. 

Wasn't Classic Amy also not referenced in Generations with the costume for the player's avatar in the 360 version?

Personally I think the way Mania overlooks Amy is criminal because, after Tails and Knuckles, who else was the more painfully obvious choice to go for? The way two characters that hardly did much to leave an impression or to have presence got this over Amy only makes me convinced of how ST loves to go the extra mile for other characters, yet with Amy they seem to always draw a line or act as if the demand was non-existant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your Vest Friend
1 minute ago, Skull Leader said:

Wasn't Classic Amy also not referenced in Generations with the costume for the player's avatar in the 360 version?

Personally I think the way Mania overlooks Amy is criminal because, after Tails and Knuckles, who else was the more painfully obvious choice to go for? The way two characters that hardly did much to leave an impression or to have presence got this over Amy only makes me convinced of how ST loves to go the extra mile for other characters, yet with Amy they seem to always draw a line or act as if the demand was non-existant.

I should have been more clear, I meant characters not in active use in the classic brand already. Classic Amy is, so her future appearance should be inevitable. Sorry about that. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GentlemanX

Lego Dimensions also got to use Robo Sonic and Mecha Sonic, so they might be feasible as well. They're superfluous since Classic Metal isn't going anywhere, but the Mania crew could throw them in just for the fan service.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

superman43

I wanted to say something in regards to this topic since it started.

I honestly believe there won´t be any successor to the classics and Mania in the terms of what you all mean - that said, all original zones or nearly all original zones.

The thing is... well... SEGA knows very well that "Mania 2" a.k.a. close to the amount of original and reused zones in Mania will be a setback. That´s why Mania Plus was approved.

And you may ask why original zones won´t work... Hm... You have to encontain it in "Classic" dimension. Mania used 4 existing locations and for a new game you will need a new location. This may fail as Sonic 4 did.

I wanted to say something in regards to this topic since it started.

I honestly believe there won´t be any successor to the classics and Mania in the terms of what you all mean - that said, all original zones or nearly all original zones.

The thing is... well... SEGA knows very well that "Mania 2" a.k.a. close to the amount of original and reused zones in Mania will be a setback. That´s why Mania Plus was approved.

And you may ask why original zones won´t work... Hm... You have to encontain it in "Classic" dimension. Mania used 4 existing locations and for a new game you will need a new location. This may fail as Sonic 4 did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.