Awoo.

Sonic Mania Modding

Gemster312

I did a little mod that changes the Stardust Speedway Act 2 Music with the Jun Senoue/Cash Cash Remix. I know that's a very little thing, but I always played Sonic CD with the USA Soundtrack, and play Sonic Mania with Japaneses songs are quite strange:

Download and more info at Video Description.

Edit: For some reasons, the Message Board display the video at bad quality here, watch on Dailymotion for better view (Click on the little D at the right-bottom of the video).

OH NO IT'S Knuckles... &knuckles... (& Wechnia)

edit:

Update, now with more green hill chuckle and i thought this was sonic 2

edit 2:

Update 3, Feat. Blue Knuckles, and BOOM!Knuckles and Knuckles (nani?!??)

• Chuckle 1

• 2 weeks later...

I´m trying to do a Modern Sonic Mod, but i think Paint.Net isn´t useful for making sprite modding.

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-28 21.24.54.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-28 21.25.30.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-28 21.25.32.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-09-28 21.25.35.png

Please Help.

Somebody knows a program that works for sprite editing?

I've never used Paint.Net myself, but I doubt it's the program you're using that's the problem. Mania's picky about palettes and how the image files are saved; if things aren't done right, it tends to barf up garbage.

This is the tutorial I used to get started, but the short version of my process is,

1. Open the original, unedited sprite sheet in your image editor, and figure out how to save the palette/color table/whatever that it uses.
2. If you're going to add any colors that weren't part of the original image, you need to add those exact colors to the palette you just saved and the pallet stored in the GameConfig file in the same spots (so if you add a new color at row 7, column 1 in the palette you saved, you need to add the same color to row 7, column 1 of the GameConfig file too).
3. Whether you've edited it or not, apply your saved palette to your edited sprite sheet and save it as a gif.

If you can't figure out how to do that stuff in Paint.Net, you can download Gimp (which is free) and follow along with the tutorial I linked. Unfortunately I can't be more specific about the details since I don't have much experience with either program.

Also just a heads up: if you're changing Sonic's blue colors and you want Super Sonic to work properly, you're going to want to replace the existing blues that he uses (which, I believe, are the first six entries in the fifth row) instead of adding whole new colors to the palette. The game will shift whatever is in those six entries to Super Sonic's palette when you go Super, so if you're using new colors in other spaces, it won't know to change them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, there is Maniac Editor for editing levels. Pretty simple to use. I managed to get rid of some traps and places where the character would not fit when bigger. Green Hill 1 and 2 took about 5 minutes, as well as Studiopolis 2. But I had a "good" time with remodelling Stardust Speedway Act 1. It took 3 hours because of those tight places, about 40% of the level feels different and... well, if anybody wants to try it, write me a message.