Awoo.

No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

Meta77

From ign

Unveiled as part of today's Switch Nindies Showcase, Travis Strikes Again features the No More Heroes star being confronted in his trailer by The Bat, only to be pulled into the game he was playing — Hotline Miami.

A partnership between developer Grasshopper Manufacture and various indie developers will delve into six different games and beat their respective bosses.

Suda51 teased Travis' return — as wel las the game's subtitle — during the Switch reveal event earlier this year.

The original No More Heroes debuted in Japan a decade ago and in other territories in 2008. IGN gave the original game a 7.8 at the time, saying the action game had "one of the most stylistic and unique games in years." No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle came to the Wii in 2010.

I'm so excited for this! I love the original games, so this will be going in my Switch library for sure!

From what we know, Travis and Bad Girl's dad get sucked into several indie video games which explain why Hotline Miami appears in the trailer.

Very happy it'll play like the original game.

So Travis is gonna try to prove that he's the best of the indie underground by being sucked into other indie games. Color me interested.

Also its a bit of a surprise that now someone is trying avenge someone we knew instead of what we had in NMH2 where Travis killed someone not as important only for goons to try to get their payback. But Bad Girl's father of all people? Now that's some continuity.

I do look forward to this. I just wish that the sound mixing was a lot better in the trailer is all.

The indie game thing is pretty inspired. I didn't recognize the music so I was pretty surprised to see Hotline Miami on the TV. I'm in for more NMH for sure. So much potential for SUDA51 fuckery with that premise. 

A small bump for this topic but I was reading stuff and I found this little article.

Robin Atkin Downes won't be reprising his role as Travis Touchdown for Travis Strikes Again

A couple of days too slow but better late than never. Its a shame because I really liked his performance as Travis as he made him sound like believable. I do wonder what's going on behind closed doors but I don't think we'll know the truth anytime soon.

15 hours ago, Princess Jellicent said:

A small bump for this topic but I was reading stuff and I found this little article.

Robin Atkin Downes won't be reprising his role as Travis Touchdown for Travis Strikes Again

A couple of days too slow but better late than never. Its a shame because I really liked his performance as Travis as he made him sound like believable. I do wonder what's going on behind closed doors but I don't think we'll know the truth anytime soon.

Recently a lot of voices have been changing like between Awakening and Fates to Fire Emblem Heroes. I keep hearing its related to a voice actor strike, though I don't know if this is related or not.

• 1 year later...

Bumping since the game's out and a couple of things have happened in the meantime. Mostly they managed to get back Robin Atkin Downes for the role of Travis (while Badman is voiced by Steve Blum).
The game itself is ok-ish, not spectacular (gameplay suffers from repetition and mediocre camera work), but solid enough, but the story and especially the implications behind it are the real jewel on this.
Don't open the spoiler until you've beaten the game with the current patch at the time of this post:

Spoiler

First bomb: who else had their mind blown by discovering that Suda is basically teasing both a remaster and a sequel to Shadows of the Damned? And most likely without EA meddling this time around?

Although not gonna lie, watching Garcia suffering and dying after the shit he went through the original game is a punch in the stomach. Thankfully he's not completely dead and Johnson/Eight Hearts said after his boss fight that he's gonna find a way to free him from hell, so it's not a complete loss just yet.

Second bomb: Suda is basically building a shared universe of his own, starting with No More Heroes being officially in canon with Killer7. Why? Because as it turns out, Badman is the guy who sold out Dan Smith's location to Curtis Blackburn (a very important event in that game) in order to save his own life and avenge his daughter's death. Unlike Shadows of the Damned, wich is treated as a in-universe videogame that Travis played, this connection is tied to the real-life sequences.

It only remains to figure if Capcom gave the rights of the Killer7 IP fully to Suda or they just were ok in having this cameo connection.
There are other cameos like Mondo from Killer is Dead or Uehara from The Silver Case, but those are a little more murky right now. Still, pretty dope if you ask me, and it promises great things for the future.

• Thumbs Up 2