Awoo.

Sonic Forces DLC topic(Get a Shadow costume from preording from EB Games)

Klinsy

It totally would have to be free for me to get it but you know what I would be down for as for Sega themed DLC?

Music, remixed music to be exact:

Have it as a option to replace the in level music or maybe have it play instead of Fist Bump when doing the Double Boost.

Stuff like Splash Wave, Dreams Dreams, Concept Of Love, G.I.A.N.T E.G.G, Terrible Beat, Segata's theme song, it goes on, all with a new mix, that would be music to my ears

Shadow the Hedgehog is my favorite Sonic character ever, and I've been waiting to play as him again for ages.

But honestly I like this costume. Not much else to say.

I'd rather it not be pre-order exclusive but maybe it'll just be available for purchase in the US.

Keep in mind Lost World had an Omochao as a pre-order bonus, and even something like the 2013 Tomb Raider has a couple of editions which gave you some guns and upgrades early. All of these could be unlocked during the game anyway.

There's nothing here about it being pre-order exclusive. Since fans like having other characters in, and these costumes are, eh, sorrrrrt of a way of emulating that I can see the logic in offering the chance to to have something like this available from the start rather than having to wait to unlock it.

If it's not unlockable in-game or made available for download later then sure that's an issue but for the time being, I don't see any issue here, harmless at worst.

Well if it's already unlockable in the game, it'll be harmless on that front. Key word being if.

This is a customizable character, so it's more susceptible to this kind of practice than anything else the Sonic series has dealt with. But I guess we'll wait and see, then.

Here's what I honestly expect to some extent costume wise:

• Alex Kidd's jumpsuit
  • Nei's ears and claws
  • Gillus beard and helmet
  • Joe Musashi's white suit
  • "Candy's" outfit (Oh, come on, that's as close we're going to get to her being in this game)
  • Miku's Hair
  • Chip's ears and hair
  • Stick's Hair and outfit
  • Boom Sonic's scarf
  • Deadly Six Hair and horns
  • Badniks based backpacks
  • House of Dead and Yakuza ... things
  • Blocky Akira gi, of course
  • Sonic simulator's red orb string things
  • Jack Frost's hat
  • Froggy backpack
  • Billy Hatcher headgear
  • Amigo's Sombrero
  • Sakura's Military outfit
  • A giant Sega Saturn backpack to HONOR SEGA'S GREATEST HERO
  • Opa Opa, Hornet and VMU to finish off the backpacks
  • Possibly Sanrio collabs

I expect nothing from Platinum, Vector Man, Toe Jam and Earl, Wonder Boy, Sonic Chronicles, any non game non Boom Sonic media and  Elise due to the history of things with legal issues or Sega ... just not using them that often

I don't really mind this. It doesn't look that appealing, but I don't see any ominous signs concerning it yet. 

38 minutes ago, Joy said:

There's nothing here about it being pre-order exclusive. Since fans like having other characters in, and these costumes are, eh, sorrrrrt of a way of emulating that I can see the logic in offering the chance to to have something like this available from the start rather than having to wait to unlock it.

I don't see any issue here, harmless at worst.

I'm gonna try to say this in a nice way, that logic is bullshit. This smacks of the same logic people at capcom touted when people were asking in MvCi " where are all the x men , where is doctor doom" and they said " well there are characters like those characters" no I don't want a character that function simularly. No, i don't wanna play as not magneto, I wanna play as mag fucking neto. I don't wanna play as not shadow, I wanna play as fucking shadow because I like that character , and have a connection with that character. You cannot approximate somoene's fondness of a character or thing in general, its now how it works. And often leads to failure, and given this whole entire game seems like failures to approximate peoples love of various things poorly and the reaction to this game from teaser one has been " what the hell is this game, and subsequently though more reveals , previews and hands on time, more disdain"  and people thinking this shit is wack, its probably going to lead to another failure. 

The cherry on this cake is Sonic mania. People didn't want " like " a classic sonic game. They didn't want the idea of a classic sonic game, they wanted a new classic sonic game. They gave them " like a classic sonic game" before and they didn't like it, folks didn't like classic sonic's level in generations, and people are already saying his levels are wack as shit in forces. They don't want a boardroom approved approximation of the thing, they just want the frigging thing. This isn't "sort of a way", this is nothing. I"m not loosing sleep over this, from... uh what i've heard months ago i've resigned myself with this  being a creatively bankrupt mess born out of sonic team's inability to come up with a solid game idea even with extra time. 

But to say this is " fine" that's kinda bullshit, this is indicative of a larger problem one particularly prevalent in this game. 

11 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm gonna try to say this in a nice way, that logic is bullshit. This smacks of the same logic people at capcom touted when people were asking in MvCi " where are all the x men , where is doctor doom" and they said " well there are characters like those characters" no I don't want a character that function simularly. No, i don't wanna play as not magneto, I wanna play as mag fucking neto. I don't wanna play as not shadow, I wanna play as fucking shadow because I like that character , and have a connection with that character. You cannot approximate somoene's fondness of a character or thing in general, its now how it works. And often leads to failure, and given this whole entire game seems like failures to approximate peoples love of various things poorly and the reaction to this game from teaser one has been " what the hell is this game, and subsequently though more reveals , previews and hands on time, more disdain"  and people thinking this shit is wack, its probably going to lead to another failure. 

The cherry on this cake is Sonic mania. People didn't want " like " a classic sonic game. They didn't want the idea of a classic sonic game, they wanted a new classic sonic game. They gave them " like a classic sonic game" before and they didn't like it, folks didn't like classic sonic's level in generations, and people are already saying his levels are wack as shit in forces. They don't want a boardroom approved approximation of the thing, they just want the frigging thing. This isn't sort of a way, this nothing. I"m not loosing sleep over this, from... uh what i've heard months ago i've resigned myself with this  being a creatively bankrupt mess born out of sonic team's inability to come up with a solid game idea even with extra time. 

But to say this is " fine" that's kinda bullshit

Woah, woah, woah, slow it right down there! We're just talking about this costume as a DLC item and why I think it's "fine" to exist so long as it doesn't remain pre-order exclusive.

I'm not saying "oh a Shadow skin for the avatar is the same as having Shadow himself". No, of course I don't think it's "fine" to give characters or gameplay mechanics the boot for approximation substitutes and I never said that.

All I said was that there are people who want these characters in and this is the closest we have so far, hence why I said "sorrrrrt of a way of emulating that". It's a nifty option for those who like Shadow or whoever else and aren't overly fussed about an avatar and would rather have something more recognisable in there. 

Like I say, everything I said really was focused on the DLC subject and not the nature of the DLC itself. I really am on the same side here if we're getting into the nitty gritty.

32 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

thats strait up not true

It's true. You have all the right to complain about the game, really, but don't get mad when I say other sites and social media (aside from the one we shall not name) are positive about the game. LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Joy said:

Woah, woah, woah, slow it right down there! We're just talking about this costume as a DLC item and why I think it's "fine" to exist so long as it doesn't remain pre-order exclusive.

I'm not saying "oh a Shadow skin for the avatar is the same as having Shadow himself". No, of course I don't think it's "fine" to give characters or gameplay mechanics the boot for approximation substitutes and I never said that.

I'm sorry for assuming that then. No sass, just sorry. 

2 minutes ago, Joy said:

All I said was that there are people who want these characters in and this is the closest we have so far, hence why I said "sorrrrrt of a way of emulating that". It's a nifty option for those who like Shadow or whoever else and aren't overly fussed about an avatar and would rather have something more recognisable in there. 

I'm not overly fussed about the avatar, i'm just confused as its placement in this game. That's why the costume upsets me a bit, its the context not the content. If they made a sonic xenoverse game, just strait up. The main character is your character, and the whole game was dedicated to this mechanic, sure. I don't mind, there are costumes of people in xenoverse, its cool. But its not that' , in this context its just them or at least it seems trying to make some money on people desire to play as other characters with out actually having the confidence to commit to the thing that they want. 

Though the statement " not having the confidence to commit to the thing that they themselves or people want and creating a half ass version of it " is the story of sonic team since 2005. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'm just a little shocked that now that its been proven financially to not be a good idea to try and approximate ideas and to just do the thing. They are still doing their half assed bit. Its almost commendable how committed they are. 

2 minutes ago, Joy said:

Like I say, everything I said really was focused on the DLC subject and not the nature of the DLC itself. I really am on the same side here if we're getting into the nitty gritty.

Again sorry

2 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

It's true. You have all the right to complain about the game, really, but don't get mad when I say other sites and social media (aside from the one we shall not name) are positive about the game. LOL

The only place i've seen this game not shitted on, youtube comments. People , and by people I assume 12 year olds proclaiming folks who don't like this game aren't true sonic fans. From sonic enthusiast sites, to general gaming websites, to sites filled with people less fond of sonic games like neogaf. Its been mostly disdain at what's shown, and confusion at what the game actually is. There isn't to saw there aren't people excited, one of the people i follow on twitter RSSLiam is excited, he likes sonic. He very much isn't inidacative of the general mood around this game which is " people fearful that this game , after the greatness that was sonic mania is going to bring things right back down " though those people were wrong because it turns out the PC version of sonic mania would fuck up the good will of sonic mania, so that's fun, but off topic. 

My point , while ancedotal, the only place i've seen active defenders of this game, is youtube comments. And while i'm not going to say its nothing, i am going to say  doesn't necessarily mean anything. Because there were other posts in those comment sections crapping on them also getting thumbs up. 

The general mood of the game seems to be " who's mans is this" but no one can tell you who's mans this is , because sega wants this to be everyones mans, and it seems like its going to be no ones mans. 

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Locking fan-desired features behind retailer-exclusive pre-order DLC or on-disk DLC, isn't benevolent. I don't see why we shouldn't be grumpy about it. Especially with the rest of the AAA industry being a good indicator of where this all goes further down the line.

...seriously?

It's carving up games so you never get the full experience.

Why should I pay the same amount as this other gut and get less content because he shopped at a specific store?

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't like in-disk DLC either, honestly, or DLC at all, it's a ploy to make you pay more, even though the game is cheap, still... "that's nooo good".

39 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

The cherry on this cake is Sonic mania. People didn't want " like " a classic sonic game. They didn't want the idea of a classic sonic game, they wanted a new classic sonic game. They gave them " like a classic sonic game" before and they didn't like it, folks didn't like classic sonic's level in generations, and people are already saying his levels are wack as shit in forces. They don't want a boardroom approved approximation of the thing, they just want the frigging thing. This isn't "sort of a way", this is nothing. I"m not loosing sleep over this, from... uh what i've heard months ago i've resigned myself with this  being a creatively bankrupt mess born out of sonic team's inability to come up with a solid game idea even with extra time. 

But to say this is " fine" that's kinda bullshit, this is indicative of a larger problem one particularly prevalent in this game. 

The difference is that those characters were available in the last entry, while here, the characters haven't been playable in damn close to a decade.

5 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

I don't like in-disk DLC either, honestly, or DLC at all, it's a ploy to make you pay more, even though the game is cheap, still... "that's nooo good".

We lucky it isn't amiibos tbh. 

If this was a nintendo game, a bunch of outfits would be locked to terrible understocked plastic figures. 

This is extremely disappointing. I really liked Shadow in Adventure 2, why have theynmade a pathetic costume?

Is this supposed to be a joke, rubbing it into our face that we can't play as Shadow, because that's what it feels like. I'd rather have nothing.

If it were disk locked DLC playable Shadow I'd be annoyed anyway on principle, but this is just pitiful.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

The difference is that those characters were available in the last entry, while here, the characters haven't been playable in damn close to a decade.

To be fair there are X men characters people want like cyclops or Cable who haven't be playable since marvel 2

4 minutes ago, Josef said:

This is extremely disappointing. I really liked Shadow in Adventure 2, why have they just made a pathetic costume?

Is this supposed to be a joke, rubbing it into our face that we can't play as Shadow, because that's what it feels like. I'd rather have nothing.

No, No company cares about you enough, unless you go around bothering CEOs or high level peoples personal lives. This is just " hey we made something like the thing you want ( A classic sonic game, a modern sonic 3d game , a character creator other characters existing, Serious stories ect ect) but not really the whole thing, you like that right?" 

And the answer is no. And that's all that is, an inablity to commit to multiple bits. 

31 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

...seriously?

It's carving up games so you never get the full experience.

Why should I pay the same amount as this other gut and get less content because he shopped at a specific store?

You should read Deleter's comment more closely; he doesn't think it's a good idea, either. He explicitly said the practice is not benevolent and stated his concern over what this might mean for the future.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Jack the Rookie said:

I dunno, other sites like reddit and social media aren't acting so grumpy about this, or the game in general.

That's nearly every social site outside ign comments. People are pumped though I'd like to play as shadow himself odd Sega odd

• Thumbs Up 2

How to Make The Shittiest Sonic Game

1. Release nothing but crappy games for five years.
  2. Make Generations 2 with no improvements.
  3. Insist it's not Generations 2 even though it blatantly is.
  4. New playable character: 'Your Name the Hedgehog', Sonic's new best friend!
  5. New villain: Infinite, Shadow's edgy best friend!
  6. Don't forget to tug at those nostalgia strings some more with SEGA-themed clothing (pre-order bonus only)
  7. Remind everyone how bad your game is by releasing it just months after Mania.
  8. Make players pay more money for cosmetic DLC.

Keep up the good work, SEGA! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 6

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

How to Make a Sonic game old fans will have a beef with:

1. Release nothing but crappy games for five years.
  2. Make Generations 2 with no improvements.
  3. Insist it's not Generations 2 even though it blatantly is.
  4. New playable character: 'Your Name the Hedgehog', Sonic's new best friend!
  5. New villain: Infinite, Shadow's edgy best friend!
  6. Don't forget to tug at those nostalgia strings some more with SEGA-themed clothing (pre-order bonus only)
  7. Remind everyone how bad your game is by releasing it just months after Mania.
  8. Make players pay more money for cosmetic DLC.

Keep up the good work, SEGA! 

You're right. *Chuckles*

2 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

You're right. *Chuckles*

I'm an older fan and there are various other newer sonic games I have beef with, I even want boom to keep going

Maybe, just maybe, this game has given off a bad impression to almost everyone. 

On 9/1/2017 at 9:26 AM, Shadowlax said:

To be fair there are X-men characters people want like Cyclops or Cable who haven't been playable since Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Well, to be fairer still, there were also non X-Men/F4 characters missing that people want around again (mostly from the last installment, although we haven't seen War Machine and Thanos since MvC2), as well as Capcom examples like Hayato (not to mention characters found only in the games of Capcom against other companies, such as Tessa). Some of the prior games even got re-releases recently, and the game already has a hearty roster, unlike Forces. With Forces, however? There is only one recent option and that's Mania. Slightly before that were Fire and Ice and Rio, both spinoffs.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm an older fan and there are various other newer sonic games I have beef with, I even want boom to keep going

Maybe, just maybe, this game has given off a bad impression to almost everyone. 

Why is it so important that the game must have left a bad impression to everyone? And why do people get mad when I say otherwise?

12 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

You're right. *Chuckles*

Nothing about Forces is a problem because it only appeals to younger fans. The problem is that it's just crappy all-round. And even if you don't think so (which is fine), I implore you, a consumer, to defend retailer exclusive pre-order bonuses.

• Thumbs Up 1