Awoo.

Sonic Forces DLC topic(Get a Shadow costume from preording from EB Games)

Klinsy

9 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's been stated in interviews and forum posts from the dev team that the original pitch for Sonic Mania was to be a very, very small game with the remasters packed in. Iizuka-san is responsible for encouraging them to go from a small pet project into a major new entry into the series by using the themes and backdrops from classic zones, not just to beef up the package but to draw in crowds who fell off from the franchise ages ago. 

It worked.

I wonder what kind of DLC Sonic Forces will have uguu

If I were to add my own perspecitve on that. On one side Iizuka opting for a bigger game is good, but on another side if he still abuses nostalgia when making the bigger game?

11 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

If I were to add my own perspecitve on that. On one side Iizuka opting for a bigger game is good, but on another side if he still abuses nostalgia when making the bigger game?

Mania doesn't abuse nostalgia, it uses it in a way that doesn't feel tacked on or like pandering. It's mostly enhanced considerably enough that it's not really an issue.

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Mania doesn't abuse nostalgia, it uses it in a way that doesn't feel tacked on or like pandering. It's mostly enhanced considerably enough that it's not really an issue.

Come on man, that's not even remotely true. I mean the enemies for the most part are the same are they not? As are the majority of the back-drops.

1 minute ago, TargetWatch said:

Come on man, that's not even remotely true. I mean the enemies for the most part are the same are they not? As are the majority of the back-drops.

It still doesn't "abuse" it. The level design (y'know the thing you play through) is considerably reworked to be in line with 3&K's standards, and even then the backdrops and enemy sprites have been redone and reanimated. Case in point: 

There's a difference between incorporating nostalgia in a way that understands the source material and enhances it considerably (Mania) and pandering with no regard to what made something work in the first place (Forces). 

• Thumbs Up 8

Why is SSMB lately falling into debates about Mania being reused zones that some users always bring up. We arent changing their minds so let them be and they'll get tired when no one reacts.

Back to the DLC. Thanks but no thanks. Especially with the Shadow skin. Just make Shadow playable and problem solved.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

It still doesn't "abuse" it. The level design (y'know the thing you play through) is considerably reworked to be in line with 3&K's standards, and even then the backdrops and enemy sprites have been redone and reanimated. Case in point: 

There's a difference between incorporating nostalgia in a way that understands the source material and enhances it considerably (Mania) and pandering with no regard to what made something work in the first place (Forces). 

No I get that, it's the concept of something like Mania as a whole is the abuse on nostalgia with the addition of the game being mostly made up of reimagined levels. Imagine how much better Mania would've been if all the levels were new and not reimagined?

Considering this isn't just any DLC but day one DLC, it's hard for me to imagine that this couldn't have just been inserted into the base game free of charge in the first place - which would mean carving up small chunks of it to resell back to players rather than have a more complete experience for consumers from the word go, and that's a kind of scummy ethics even I didn't expect from Forces.

Why does everything about this game have to reek so much of corporate cynicism? All we're really missing is microtransactions and season passes and then we can pretty much score an EA Bingo.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Blacklightning said:

Considering this isn't just any DLC but day one DLC, it's hard for me to imagine that this couldn't have just been inserted into the base game free of charge in the first place - which would mean carving up small chunks of it to resell back to players rather than have a more complete experience for consumers from the word go, and that's a kind of scummy ethics even I didn't expect from Forces.

Why does everything about this game have to reek so much of corporate cynicism? All we're really missing is microtransactions and season passes and then we can pretty much score an EA Bingo.

Because, it does.

2 minutes ago, TargetWatch said:

No I get that, it's the concept of something like Mania as a whole is the abuse on nostalgia with the addition of the game being mostly made up of reimagined levels. Imagine how much better Mania would've been if all the levels were new and not reimagined?

Oh, I understand what you mean then. It's totally fair to not like the idea of bringing back old zones all the time regardless of how they're handled, a lot of people are sick of it. Personally I don't mind it, even in Forces, but people aren't wrong in saying that they're relying on this sort of thing a lot.

...Anyway this was actually an interesting discussion but we should probably re-rail the topic. XP

I'm kind of curious if costumes are the only DLC this game'll get or if we might see something more. I wouldn't mind DLC Acts or even all new Zones as long as they came later on and weren't obviously finished ahead of time, but it might be best to stick to just costumes and other really small stuff.

There is actually interesting way Sonic's DLC came in past with Lost World with it's Nintendo collabs and Unleashed providing additional levels without from my knowledge just removing it from the game and going for a modest price.

But I think one I would like to revisit is Sonic's first visit into the world of DLC, silly time based storyless adventures like find the photos of actual of hedgehogs

Or just giving out seasonal costumes for free just for playing the game on Christmas or something, it's free but it's small enough to not make Sega charge for it, heck, this was actually done in 2012 by giving Alex Kidd in Tranformed to players who played after Christmas

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. They've used better and less confused methods of dealing out DLC before so it's hard to excuse the sloppiness of this one. Just from the viewpoint of someone who wants the other characters back it doesn't work no matter the way they use it within the game.

That said, I can't exactly say it makes me angry. No matter what I do here, I'm not out of money. Not only that but the game being only $40 bucks is still a shocker to me. 

I'm mostly just really miffed by how woefully ignorant of the situation regarding the other characters this revelation makes them all seem. It feels less like corporate cynicism and more like they're just really oblivious. Like the company itself is an optimistic child that tries to do a bunch of different things and only reacts to what's said by reviewers afterward; never really putting the pieces together themselves. 

14 minutes ago, Klinsy said:

Or just giving out seasonal costumes for free just for playing the game on Christmas or something, it's free but it's small enough to not make Sega charge for it, heck, this was actually done in 2012 by giving Alex Kidd in Tranformed to players who played after Christmas

Wasn't Alex Kidd fully on disc in the first place? I don't remember ever having to download a patch for him. Not that I disagree with your greater point or anything - I just don't think a delayed unlock for something they'd already created and left on the disc really constitutes supporting the game post-lauch, even if they're not enough of a cunt to charge money for it.

I believe the same was true of some of the Unleashed DLC to some extent, but I think that might have been a case of some of those areas being already in the game but not quite complete? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:10 AM, Klinsy said:

SonicForces_banner_shadow.png

While some of you are complaining about this, the rest of the fandom are drooling over that Persona 5 outfit, and that for me is the beginning of the end.

That's not a end. Just another segment of a fan base excited for the game. All games have some form of dlc these days and nearly all have day one items that are wotlrthless but some like. Granted the shadow skin is silly the persona and jet set are epic

Web siting assuming this was brought up already, but just in case anyone was wondering, this will of  be coming to other retailers outside of EBgames and Australia. SEGA Europe press email follows:

Hi All,

Today we are thrilled to announce that Sonic Forces will launch on November 7thAcross Europe!

We are also pleased to be able to share/detail the contents of the physical-only Bonus Edition which will contain the four Sonic Forces art cards & the SEGA/ATLUS pack add-on which will allow you to recreate the look of five other SEGA/ATLUS icons for your Hero Character.

Those who pre-order the Bonus Edition from retailers* participating in the pre-order scheme will also receive the Shadow Costume for their Hero Character.

*See in-store or on physical retailer websites to confirm participation in pre-order scheme

5 minutes ago, speedfreak said:

Well at least it sounds like Shadow is the only one and you don't have to go here for Knuckles or there for Tails, etc.

Nah, they'll just be extras you can buy for $1.99 each!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sega usually doesn't re-sell us stuff like that. They are pretty good about it.

Its more likely that the character costumes will be the reward dished out for completing missions issued by the extended cast - or something like that. Extra optional stuff you can do to unlock the appropriate costume. It makes sense that Shadow's skin can't be unlocked that way, since as of right now he is not part of the resistance and wouldn't be able to issue you any kind of missions.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Web siting assuming this was brought up already, but just in case anyone was wondering, this will of  be coming to other retailers outside of EBgames and Australia. SEGA Europe press email follows:

Thank you Sega Europe for Finally Confirming yourself that Sonic Forces is indeed coming to Europe.

It only took you one year 1 month.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Nah, they'll just be extras you can buy for $1.99 each!

Doubt it. As tacky as the pre-order costume nonsense is, they don't usually go for that kind of stuff if they even decide to provide it at all. Especially nowadays. I'll give credit where it's due.

Hell, the Yoshi's Island and Legend of Zelda levels for Lost World being free DLC still kind of amazes me. 

Still, I'm not going to hold back from making fun of this particular tactic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2017 at 1:10 AM, Klinsy said:

SonicForces_banner_shadow.png

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-225669-Sonic-Forces-Bonus-Edition-Switch

Coming from EB Games(Basically Gamestop in Australia) official website, a banner on the site confirms that there will be a Shadow costume for the Custom Hero if one preorders it from there, with the Bonus edition and this, I can safely say DlC is happening. 

With what be presented with, I guess we will be getting preexisting characters costumes for the avatar as most with the DLC but hey, every new 3D Sonic game since 06 besides Colors and Generations(Unless you count the pinball table) got levels too, so we might get a couple.

What are you hoping for DLC?

Ugh... I hate it when companies do this. We want the actual characters, not faceless suits of the characters!... The Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games franchise did this, and Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3ds did this, and now Sonic Forces is doing this? What's the point?! Why didn't they just allow the parts of the characters to be used instead? Why can't we just customize the characters to have Shadow's quills, instead of forcing them to wear a creepy costume of the characters? It makes it look like the characters were skinned alive, and now the avatars are wearing their pelts! 

At least the Day One Edition preorder bonus dlc made it look like they were dressing like other characters, instead of wearing the pelts of actual Sonic characters! 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder what would happen if you made a Rabbit character wear that Shadow costume?

Would his ears clip through the top? Would they somehow magically disappear from existence?  would they color map to match the costume?

so many little details that can really show how much care was put into the CaC system...

On 9/1/2017 at 9:26 AM, Dejimon11 said:

"Wanna play as Shadow or any of Sonic's friends again? Too bad tough shit lol." 

This is really how it comes off.  It's been 11 years since 06 it's time to play as somebody other than Sonic to be playable that isn't a customize character.

I swear it's like they're trying to find new ways to piss off fans of those characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2017 at 7:30 PM, Klinsy said:

There is actually interesting way Sonic's DLC came in past with Lost World with it's Nintendo collabs and Unleashed providing additional levels without from my knowledge just removing it from the game and going for a modest price.

But I think one I would like to revisit is Sonic's first visit into the world of DLC, silly time based storyless adventures like find the photos of actual of hedgehogs

Well, lots of people complained about silliness in sonic so expect that to be thrown out the window.

If they made the REAL characters somehow available... via micro transactions, would people be pleased?