Awoo.

Sonic Mania Simon Thomley (Stealth) Stream Info Dump

Zippo

1 minute ago, Forte-Metallix said:

What's especially interesting is that...

Hide contents

Counting each individual Act, Mania is the exact same length as 3&K. (25 Acts each) But it technically has one less Zone, since Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary are individual one-Act Zones.

Mania is the same length as 3&K ? Well, technically you beat Heavy Rider or Heavy King in Hidden Palace.

Even then, for Knuckles it´s longer than 3&K. By 2 or 3 acts depending on what you count as an "act" and what not.

5 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Why was Knuckles on the Tornado with them during the boss fight in Mirage Saloon Act 1? I haven't had that happen as Sonic & Tails. Weird. 

That´s a glitch. Entering the special stage in the train will make Knuckles appear on the Tornado again. Entering the bonus stage right before the mini-boss won´t.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Well if you want to be technical...

Hide contents

Hidden Palace and the Stardust Speedway boss fight are both counted as individual acts internally within the game. Mirage Saloon also has three distinct acts and bosses.

Pretty sure 3&K does a few things like that too; I think the Lava Reef Act 2 boss is technically its own Act, the two versions of Sky Sanctuary depending on if you're Sonic/Tails or Knuckles, and maybe the giant Death Egg Robo?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Pretty sure 3&K does a few things like that too; I think the Lava Reef Act 2 boss is technically its own Act, the two versions of Sky Sanctuary depending on if you're Sonic/Tails or Knuckles, and maybe the giant Death Egg Robo?

Yeah, it does. I was drawing more parallels. S3K is a pretty enormous game, and so is Mania.

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Yeah, it does. I was drawing more parallels. S3K is a pretty enormous game, and so is Mania.

Is it just me or I am the only one who think there is parallel between Stardust Speedway "2M" and Lava Reef "3" aka boss ? In Mania, you have to race with Metal Sonic up to the point where you get around Eggman´s statue face whereas in 3K Lava Reef boss, you have to go firstly up and then down the lavafall in order to fight Eggman. Well, "fight".

I like that Simon confirmed that Team Sonic is travelling together, I wanted this day one. Too bad the only time we see the three amigos actually together:

yG62yA7.png&key=c8bdbcec646540ad24c6d188

You know what happened to our man Knuckles :( I wish they would meet with each other more often throughout the game.

I'm pretty sure Mirage Saloon was supposed to be the zone after Flying Battery, as the Sonic, Tails and Knuckles would escape FBZ on the Tornado. I mean, it makes more sense than it being after Hydrocity...

• Thumbs Up 2

Nah dude, the reason why there's no zone transitions is just because the team had no imagination and stopped. There's zero evidence zones were shifted around. Zilch.

Just now, Plasme said:

Nah dude, the reason why there's no zone transitions is just because the team had no imagination and stopped. There's zero evidence zones were shifted around. Zilch.

news-Beethoven.jpg

Alright Beethoven.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

I like that Simon confirmed that Team Sonic is travelling together, I wanted this day one. Too bad the only time we see the three amigos actually together:

yG62yA7.png&key=c8bdbcec646540ad24c6d188

There's also that brief moment after the Titanic Monarch Act 2 boss!...At least in the Normal Ending version. And Tails isn't there if you're playing Sonic solo.

8 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Nah cuzz, I believe they intended for there to be zone transitions but they were cut. Everytyme someone asks about it they never comment back. And the act 1 to 2 transitions were so well done.

There's virtually no evidence any zone transitions were cut. They just stopped halfway through development. They had no dev time and focused on more important stuff. The actual transitions are incredibly lazy too, they probably had no imaginaton either.

Mania has hardly any creativity, 75% of the game isn't even new, it's all recycled stuff! It's even more rehash Zone than Sonic 4. At least Sonic 4 had the courtesy to make new zones based off the old. Give me Sonic 4 any day. It makes complete sense that they couldn't manage to think up zone transitions.

But yeah, I agree time constraints would have been an issue.

9 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Mania has hardly any creativity, 75% of the game isn't even new, it's all recycled stuff! It's even more rehash Zone than Sonic 4. At least Sonic 4 had the courtesy to make new zones based off the old. Give me Sonic 4 any day. It makes complete sense that they couldn't manage to think up zone transitions.

Despite having much of the recycled stuff it is at least used wisely. Sonic 4 felt like rehash because there were mainly things that appeared in the same trope or even one zone. When playing Mania the rehashing doesn´t disturb me, whereas in Sonic 4 it does.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 4 is still an awful game, but it's no different to Mania, it still rehashes everything. Except people gives 4 a bad PR because of confirmation bias.

Despite being a retread, Mania is more consistently surprising than almost any other game I can think of. Sure the old level themes return but they are jam-packed with new ideas and refreshed visuals. Comparing a labour of love like this to a superficial, clueless mess like Sonic 4 is pretty insulting IMO.

To claim the Sonic Mania devs lack creativity is a truly bizarre stance to take.

• Thumbs Up 6

36 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Mania has hardly any creativity, 75% of the game isn't even new, it's all recycled stuff! 

I don't understand this post.

If a dev makes new assets from scratch... which is the case with Mania. Everything was redone from scratch...

But because the levels look like a previous one... only make the level design is totally different, contains new ideas and gameplay alterations.

It's lazy and has no imagination?

Erm... Nah I don't understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Studiopolis was commonly referred to as late in the game due to its increased difficulty over Green Hill but is now the third level. In the beta level select Mirage Saloon is listed before Studiopolis too.

Granted the beta level select order could have been alphabetical which would make sense. For what it's worth, I think it's just as plausible that they realized at some point during development that they had to prioritize certain story beats and leave others hanging if they wanted to make launch.

That's very intriguing. I wasn't even aware that all of the Hard-Boiled Heavies actually betrayed Eggman at all. I thought that was only the case with the Heavy King. It does make me wonder if Eggman repurposed all of the Hard-Boiled Heavies or at least binded them to his will with the Phantom Ruby. It's also interesting how it places greater importance on the Heavy King's character as a whole. He was the only one who successfully eluded Eggman's attempts at controlling him and obtaining the Phantom Ruby and he literally went out of his own way to seize the Master Emerald for himself. That's ... pretty badass.

• Thumbs Up 1