Awoo.

Sonic Mania Simon Thomley (Stealth) Stream Info Dump

Zippo

Hmm call me oldschool and/or sadistic, but I welcome the fact a game over actually means something in this game. In fact, I feel like they were already generous enough with the lives and rings they throw at you, a restart option that doesn't take your lives, the many checkpoints littered across the acts and the level select menu anyway, so even if you do manage a game over, it's not like you're punished severely and had to restart from the very beginning after all of your hard work like in Sonic 1 and 2, but it still gives some actual consequences and makes you reflect on what you're doing wrong to make it right a little more. 

With this game, I just get the sense they really wanted Mania to be more challenging and more stake heavy than your average Sonic game what with how they went about the bosses, Giant Ring placements and special stages. So with all of that on top of all the prevention to actually get a game over, I feel they went about a good balance on difficulty and punishment in this already short game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

Only relatable topic I could find (damnit do I miss the megathreads).

Stealth made a blog post, but didn't talk about the Dunkey easter egg. instead it was to shed light on the 2 things that were found in the game, Egg Janken and the SP500 ink objects.

Turns out Egg Janken was a prototype boss left over from the demonstration showed to Iizuka and the first boss ever made for mania.

• Thumbs Up 3

I assumed as much, but nice to see it confirmed. Makes me curious about when exactly the Hard-Boiled Heavies entered the equation. Since one of the stories they considered was Eggman (temporarily, of course) retiring and the Heavies taking over, maybe the Act 1 bosses were all going to be badniks like that while the Act 2 bosses were the Heavies?

Does seem like a sound theory, most likely SEGA or Sonic Team weren't comfortable with the main villain just sitting it out and wanted Eggman's presence more known.

Then again going from Badnik boss to Heavy boss would've been a bit too repetitive.