Jump to content
Awoo.

Eggman/Robotnik and other misconceptions about misconceptions


havikinazuma

Recommended Posts

Hey guys! Havik her again to ask another question. 

I know that people now unA4derstand how Robotnik became Eggman and vice versa, but I also hear this floating around. That Yuji Naka, or Takashi Iizuka had an interview saying Dr. Ivo Robotnik is his real name, and many claim it that way in the JP version as well. They even had Generations' line as a call back. People also said that Robotnik was used for Gerald and Maria as well, but here are my problems with this. 

1. I don't see shred of evidence for this interview. Just like others, which I'll get into later.

2. Robotnik hasn't once been said in the JP versions of the games; only Eggman. Even Games on JP ver. State not knowing Eggman's real name.

2.Gerald and Maria were referred to as such without a last name. Watching a video from a Youtuber name Blackblur(if I can recall) and he played and translated the JP versions. Searching the dialog(since I study Japanese for years now) or his subtitles for Robotnik, and came up short.. 

3. Even Tails' line in Generations JP Version, was not "Dr. Robotnik!", but "There are two Eggmans". With past Eggman replying with, not "Nobody cslls me that anymore.", but "Don't be so surprised." 

 

My point here is that Japan hasn't embraced Robotnik, in fact it seems non-existant. 

Not only this subject. There a bunch of instances where Iizuka-san or Naka-san was supposed to have said somthing with no evidence,  or misinterpreted.  What can we do to prevent such misinformation from spreading? 

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I dunno how the original got about, but he did kinda say it in an interview in 2016.

That being said, it seems like saying that Robotnik being his real name and Eggman being his nickname was literally just a Western handwave, as even there he says they're not interested in the character having more than one name. So yeah, I doubt Robotnik has actually made it into Japanese Lexicon (aside from the occasional background billboard or display in one of the Adventure games not being changed between localisations). 

Also considering they don't want characters with two names, that kinda puts a dent in the idea that they'd be okay with the Nack name sticking around. More like it'd get the same "handwave but never reference" treatment. 

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, I dunno how the original got about, but he did kinda say it in an interview in 2016.

That being said, it seems like saying that Robotnik being his real name and Eggman being his nickname was literally just a Western handwave, as even there he says they're not interested in the character having more than one name. So yeah, I doubt Robotnik has actually made it into Japanese Lexicon (aside from the occasional background billboard or display in one of the Adventure games not being changed between localisations). 

Also considering they don't want characters with two names, that kinda puts a dent in the idea that they'd be okay with the Nack name sticking around. More like it'd get the same "handwave but never reference" treatment. 

I see. Does this mean Robotnik is not his name?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, havikinazuma said:

2. Robotnik hasn't once been said in the JP versions of the games; only Eggman. Even Games on JP ver. State not knowing Eggman's real name.

2.Gerald and Maria were referred to as such without a last name. Watching a video from a Youtuber name Blackblur(if I can recall) and he played and translated the JP versions. Searching the dialog(since I study Japanese for years now) or his subtitles for Robotnik, and came up short..

 

Not sure where you're getting this idea from, you can literally hear him say "Gerald Robotnik" with your own ears here:

(Cued to correct time at 0:56, occurs again at 2:58 if you aren't convinced by the first one).

 

It's definitely the case though that he wasn't ALWAYS called Robotnik in Japan, they just decided to adopt it into the canon that it was his real name and Eggman was a pseudonym.  Robotnik definitely gets referred to more often in the English translations for our benefit though.

  • Thumbs Up 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, the age-old name debate for our egg-shaped mad scientist... will it never end; even with "Nobody calls me that anymore?"

I'll always prefer Eggman as its just infinitely more-fitting, but I've grown more accepting of Robotnik in recent years too. I personally like to think that Ivo Robotnik is his actual name, but uses Eggman as his adopted super-villain name.

Sega has acknowledged the Robotnik surname with Gerald and Maria, so its not entirely extinct as far as the games go. I wonder if they'll ever go back to Gerald someday, because I find his character to be very interesting...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JezMM said:

Not sure where you're getting this idea from, you can literally hear him say "Gerald Robotnik" with your own ears here:

(Cued to correct time at 0:56, occurs again at 2:58 if you aren't convinced by the first one).

Since the OP mentioned searching the subtitles, I'm just pointing out that the Katakana for his name is pretty clearly spelled out at 2:58 as well, so if I may be so bold, it appears that the search wasn't extremely thorough.

So yeah, the name Robotnik is canon in Japan, as well, but considering how rarely this is referenced in recent (recent meaning since 2000 or so), it's pretty much just a piece of side trivia at this point.  It rarely ever interferes with the plot of the actual game or creates any gaping inconsistencies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PanicPuppet388 said:

Ah, the age-old name debate for our egg-shaped mad scientist... will it never end; even with "Nobody calls me that anymore?"

I'll always prefer Eggman as its just infinitely more-fitting, but I've grown more accepting of Robotnik in recent years too. I personally like to think that Ivo Robotnik is his actual name, but uses Eggman as his adopted super-villain name.

Sega has acknowledged the Robotnik surname with Gerald and Maria, so its not entirely extinct as far as the games go. I wonder if they'll ever go back to Gerald someday, because I find his character to be very interesting...

And now given Boom, with "Steve Eggman", it seems more likely that sega are en route to finally discarding the Robotnik name for good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

And now given Boom, with "Steve Eggman", it seems more likely that sega are en route to finally discarding the Robotnik name for good. 

Ugh, Boom... that reminds me of that one ep. where he says something like "Eggman was my father, please call me Dr. Eggman."

Like what even? Eggman's a family name now? It makes me almost miss Kintobor now... at least its more believable.

  • Nice Smile 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2017 at 9:11 AM, JezMM said:

Not sure where you're getting this idea from, you can literally hear him say "Gerald Robotnik" with your own ears here:

(Cued to correct time at 0:56, occurs again at 2:58 if you aren't convinced by the first one).

 

It's definitely the case though that he wasn't ALWAYS called Robotnik in Japan, they just decided to adopt it into the canon that it was his real name and Eggman was a pseudonym.  Robotnik definitely gets referred to more often in the English translations for our benefit though.

Dang... How did I miss those two..? Sorry everyone, I totally must have fell asleep here. 

 

So Robotnik was adopted along with Chili dogs, but Robotnik isn't used anymore. Weird... I never thought Japan would adopt anything foreign in home made series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2017 at 5:08 AM, havikinazuma said:

Hey guys! Havik her again to ask another question. 

I know that people now unA4derstand how Robotnik became Eggman and vice versa, but I also hear this floating around. That Yuji Naka, or Takashi Iizuka had an interview saying Dr. Ivo Robotnik is his real name, and many claim it that way in the JP version as well. They even had Generations' line as a call back. People also said that Robotnik was used for Gerald and Maria as well, but here are my problems with this. 

1. I don't see shred of evidence for this interview. Just like others, which I'll get into later.

2. Robotnik hasn't once been said in the JP versions of the games; only Eggman. Even Games on JP ver. State not knowing Eggman's real name.

2.Gerald and Maria were referred to as such without a last name. Watching a video from a Youtuber name Blackblur(if I can recall) and he played and translated the JP versions. Searching the dialog(since I study Japanese for years now) or his subtitles for Robotnik, and came up short.. 

3. Even Tails' line in Generations JP Version, was not "Dr. Robotnik!", but "There are two Eggmans". With past Eggman replying with, not "Nobody cslls me that anymore.", but "Don't be so surprised." 

 

My point here is that Japan hasn't embraced Robotnik, in fact it seems non-existant. 

Not only this subject. There a bunch of instances where Iizuka-san or Naka-san was supposed to have said somthing with no evidence,  or misinterpreted.  What can we do to prevent such misinformation from spreading? 

 

 

 

On 9/7/2017 at 5:19 AM, VEDJ-F said:

Well, I dunno how the original got about, but he did kinda say it in an interview in 2016.

That being said, it seems like saying that Robotnik being his real name and Eggman being his nickname was literally just a Western handwave, as even there he says they're not interested in the character having more than one name. So yeah, I doubt Robotnik has actually made it into Japanese Lexicon (aside from the occasional background billboard or display in one of the Adventure games not being changed between localisations). 

Also considering they don't want characters with two names, that kinda puts a dent in the idea that they'd be okay with the Nack name sticking around. More like it'd get the same "handwave but never reference" treatment. 

In addition to Iizuka saying Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is his nickname in that interview, Naka was saying way back in the mid-2000s in an interview by Sega.com posted on the old Sonic Central website:

Sega.com: Did Sonic have a hand in changing Dr. Robotnik's name to Dr. Eggman for the United States games? If so, was he trying to make fun of his nemesis?

Yuji Naka: To tell the truth, his name has not changed. Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a common name taken after his shape. Possibly, it may have been Sonic, who uttered this alias for the first time! I feel, though, Sonic uses this name affectionately, rather than trying to make fun of him.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050920184650/http://www2.sega.com/sonic/content.php

It's Flash so you have to go to World Of Sonic > About Sonic Team > Yuji Naka Speaks For Sonic

Gerald and Maria were indeed referred to as Robotnik in official JPN material, Gerald was specifically called Robotnik in cutscenes (as someone posted a cutscene above to prove).

Even JPN Sonic X got in on the Robotnik name with eyecatch cards between commercials, here are screenshots...

latest?cb=20111107160517latest?cb=20111106163631latest?cb=20111106164219

His full real name is unknown (sorry "Ivo")

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Darth InVaders said:

 

In addition to Iizuka saying Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is his nickname in that interview, Naka was saying way back in the mid-2000s in an interview by Sega.com posted on the old Sonic Central website:

Sega.com: Did Sonic have a hand in changing Dr. Robotnik's name to Dr. Eggman for the United States games? If so, was he trying to make fun of his nemesis?

Yuji Naka: To tell the truth, his name has not changed. Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a common name taken after his shape. Possibly, it may have been Sonic, who uttered this alias for the first time! I feel, though, Sonic uses this name affectionately, rather than trying to make fun of him.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050920184650/http://www2.sega.com/sonic/content.php

It's Flash so you have to go to World Of Sonic > About Sonic Team > Yuji Naka Speaks For Sonic

Gerald and Maria were indeed referred to as Robotnik in official JPN material, Gerald was specifically called Robotnik in cutscenes (as someone posted a cutscene above to prove).

Even JPN Sonic X got in on the Robotnik name with eyecatch cards between commercials, here are screenshots...

latest?cb=20111107160517latest?cb=20111106163631latest?cb=20111106164219

His full real name is unknown (sorry "Ivo")

Oh, so no "Ivo"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, havikinazuma said:

Oh, so no "Ivo"?

Not outside Sega of America and spinoff stuff not canon to the games (like the comics and tv shows)

Sega of America does still pull it out now and then, mostly in ports of the original Sonic the Hedgehog game.

But nothing from Sega of Japan or Sonic Team has ever embraced "Ivo" to my knowledge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.