Awoo.

Sonic Forces is rough to the point of being comical (according to reviewer)

Dscross

Being a Sonic the Hedgehog fan is hard.

Really, you noticed this only now?

• Thumbs Up 1

It wasn't as negative as I was expecting.

But of course the reviewer is a genesis fan. Forces is the most anti-veteran game ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I compiled this and many other previews in the impressions thread a while back. It does paint a pretty bleak picture.

Being a fan of the Mega Drive games doesn't exactly invalidate his opinion. He even states he can find ways to defend SA1 and SA2. 

Perhaps it's less Forces is shaping up to be an "anti-veteran" game and more it's just shaping up to be... a naff game. 

I didn't say that. I just pointed that out. He seems to love Sonic Rush!

Not really. the game could be fine, play just fine (it could be pretty easy though), but is not how fans want it to play. Is too easy, but is not broken, is not frustrating, is just... eh. It depends. Is really bad for long time fans, but as a game in general? Is probably okay.

Not saying that is a good thing. Just saying how is gonna turn out, fans will hate it, but the game will be okay.

10 minutes ago, Joseph Henry said:

I didn't say that. I just pointed that out. He seems to love Sonic Rush!

Not really. the game could be fine, play just fine (it could be pretty easy though), but is not how fans want it to play. Is too easy, but is not broken, is not frustrating, is just... eh. It depends. Is really bad for long time fans, but as a game in general? Is probably okay.

Not saying that is a good thing. Just saying how is gonna turn out, fans will hate it, but the game will be okay.

I don't see it as antiveteren I'm as veteran with the entire franchise as can be and everything I see gas me excited. The only time I actually ehh a sonic game was generatiins

Not sure if this information is correct, but here it is:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic

I always thought Sonic Adventure was a big hit, but it sold more or less like Sonic 3. In fact, since Sonic 3, "main" Sonic games have sold around 2 million units. Boom and Lost World are much lower, and Mania, well, it's still too soon to count.

Maybe the problem is that Sonic is not really appealing to most people, no matter the game.

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It's called a preview, and they're called opinions. And it's how judging anything in the world works.

If you don't want to hear anything negative about the game because it's "unfinished", you got to be consistent and not accept anything positive either.

Heh, somebody sounds a little grumpy. I saw the word review, not preview. I also never said anything about not wanting to hear negative thoughts on the game. You could've answered my legitimate question without the harsh sounding tone.

6 minutes ago, Dan86 said:

Heh, somebody sounds a little grumpy. I saw the word review, not preview. I also never said anything about not wanting to hear negative thoughts on the game. You could've answered my legitimate question without the harsh sounding tone.

So you didn't even skim over the article, and instead just read this topic's title? lol

A preview is effectively just a review of a small portion of a game anyway, so it doesn't really make a difference.

"Guy says game isn't good". That's all this is.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Dan86 said:

Heh, somebody sounds a little grumpy. I saw the word review, not preview.

Wait you just dismissed it without actually reading what was said?

I should really ask Dreadknux if he's going to post his thoughts on Forces since he wasn't that impressed with it either when he got to play it at Gamescom the other week.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

So you didn't even skim over the article, and instead just read this topic's title? A preview is effectively just a review of a small portion of a game anyway, so it doesn't really make a difference.

"Guy says game isn't good". That's all this is.

Yep, too lazy to read the whole thing. Thanks for clarifying. ^-^

I am not being sarcastic and I didn't dismiss anything. But if anyone wants to make it an issue, go ahead.

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I should really ask Dreadknux if he's going to post his thoughts on Forces since he wasn't that impressed with it either when he got to play it at Gamescom the other week.

Seeing as he works for IGN now, doesn't that mean that he thinks Sonic was never good?

I'm waiting for someone to say this seriously, unless it's already happened.

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Seeing as he works for IGN now, doesn't that mean that he thinks Sonic was never good? :P

Yes son I believe it does. 

• Promotion 1

What is the point in looking at 2 months old preview ? I could tell myself the same that time. :joy: And in case of Mania vs. Forces it´s still at least 1:0 even after those 2 months.

53 minutes ago, superman43 said:

What is the point in looking at 2 months old preview ? I could tell myself the same that time. :joy: And in case of Mania vs. Forces it´s still at least 1:0 even after those 2 months.

I just happened upon it and wanted to see what everyone thought. I am worried about how it will be received myself because I don't want to see an end to modern sonic completely. If it gets panned too much and Mania gets praised too much - bye bye modern sonic. I'm sure as Sonic fans we all want good games of both types.

So, is there any reason why the OP felt the need to dig up an 2 month old preview that paints the game in the worst possible light?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

So, is there any reason why the OP felt the need to dig up an 2 month old preview that paints the game in the worst possible light?

See above post In which I explained that. It's a discussion that's all. The reviewer doesn't pan all modern sonic games so he isn't your typical mainstream reviewer - that worries me.

42 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Has there been any drastic changes to the game in those 2 months?

• Thumbs Up 4

53 minutes ago, Dscross said:

If it gets panned too much and Mania gets praised too much - bye bye modern sonic. 

Eh, I see this flung around a bit and I realistically can't see that happening with Forces. If Boom can still live 3 or so years after Rise of Lyric and the franchise in general can survive 06 (and the stream of not-so-good games until like 2010-ish), then I'm pretty sure modern can survive Forces selling a bit bad.

Also like two-thirds of the game aren't even modern sonic, so there's that :V

• Thumbs Up 5

52 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Has there been any drastic changes to the game in those 2 months?

I have noticed that Sonic Team has seemingly tweaked the controls, I'm not noticing people struggling to control the OC character anymore like they were when the mode was introduced.

1 hour ago, Dscross said:

If it gets panned too much and Mania gets praised too much - bye bye modern sonic.

Why, it's almost as if bad games get panned and good games get praised, and Sonic Team shouldn't be coddled for turning out consistently lackluster work.

Sonic Team can never improve if fans keep loyally buying every mediocre-to-awful offering they throw at them. Perhaps a good panning (in contrast to Mania's praise) is just the wake-up call this company needs to step up their game.

• Thumbs Up 7