Awoo.

Please convince me that "Sonic World" is great, because I don't think it is!

avidsonicfan1991

I really had high hopes to play Sonic World (https://sonicworldfangame.com), which at first I saw was comparably the best 3D Sonic fan game I have ever played. But one day while I was testing it in my mancave setup, I couldn't quite get it on the Metal Harbor stage. At first, I played as the Silver and Blaze pair because random and I'm a fan of them, but I couldn't quite seem to figure out how to get to certain platforms on them because most characters don't have the homing attack, and I'm really damn used to Sonic because of the homing attack. Then I tried again with the Sonic Heroes-like Team Sonic, but I still couldn't figure out how to control it, specifically remembering which button to press when switching team leaders (Yes, I am using a controller, if you're wondering), and when to switch them because when arriving at a part using the wrong character, I could be dead immediately!

Therefore, I think the controls are the worst in history, and I now 100% agree with YouTuber Badman on his review of Sonic World in his "Sonic Fan Games" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQYZ6-Uqy4

In fact, I think this might be the worst video game I have ever played, and it also might be one of the reasons why I may have to destroy every piece of "winning-or-losing" media I ever own, period! Because they are too similar to sports, and I hate sports with a passion! I hate losing!!!

I just want somebody to convince me that Sonic World is great and give me as many reasons as possible as to why I should love it!

NOTE: I already posted this on Reddit's Change My View subreddit, but after about an hour of being in the spam filter, the only response I got was "At least it's working and is a game...", and I just think the audience for this subreddit is not appropriate for this sort of question. That is why I am asking this question here.

5 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

I may have to destroy every piece of "winning-or-losing" media I ever own, period! 

You could always send your stuff to me if you don't want it.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

Just now, Mayor D said:

You could always send your stuff to me if you don't want it.

I wanted to for my own sanity (because I always get angry to the point of being physically unsafe), but I feel like I don't want to at all!

7 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

I wanted to for my own sanity (because I always get angry to the point of being physically unsafe), but I feel like I don't want to at all!

Think you might need to consider anger management then.

• Thumbs Up 4

23 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

I just want somebody to convince me that Sonic World is great and give me as many reasons as possible as to why I should love it!

That's very concerning. It shouldn't matter what other people think, all that matters is what you get out of the game. It's perfectly fine to have high hopes for a game and have it not deliver as time passes by.

I also wouldn't use Reddit if you're looking for a genuine response. You're likely not going to get one from there.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

I wish I could convince you, but I really can't. Because it really does suck. 

It's the epitome of "quantity over quality". Shoves in all those characters, most of which don't work with the stage design, tries emulating Heroes (complete with the same god-awful pinball physics but worse) and hilariously shite level design. 

Sonic World is an unmitigated disaster. 

Judging from how many people reacted to this positively, I now need to know if there are any COMPLETE (Not tech demo!!!!!!!) alternative 3D fan games that are GOOD. And no, I don't count the following:

In "Sonic Universe", you have to be very precise about paths, especially when you bounce off springs and you have to re-align correctly just so you don't accidentally miss your mark.

I also tried "Sonic Robo Blast 2", but it's really hard to defeat enemies unless you're constantly spin-dashing, and it's very disorienting on the eyes! Somebody replied to that saying "If you find it hard to defeat enemies in SRB2, then that's just you always missing your mark and that you need to work on positioning. Not that you're required to stop and hit an enemy to move anyways."

"Sonic the Hedgehog 3D" is better in both regards, but that didn't help much.

Finally, "Sonic Souls" was good enough for me to keep in my games library, but still isn't perfect. Sorry if I'm not being specific enough on each game, but I have a terrible memory.

Just now, avidsonicfan1991 said:

Judging from how many people reacted to this positively, I now need to know if there are any complete alternative 3D fan games that are GOOD. And no, I don't count the following:

In "Sonic Universe", you have to be very precise about paths, especially when you bounce off springs and you have to re-align correctly just so you don't accidentally miss your mark.

I also tried "Sonic Robo Blast 2", but it's really hard to defeat enemies unless you're constantly spin-dashing, and it's very disorienting on the eyes! Somebody replied to that saying "If you find it hard to defeat enemies in SRB2, then that's just you always missing your mark and that you need to work on positioning. Not that you're required to stop and hit an enemy to move anyways."

"Sonic the Hedgehog 3D" is better in both regards, but that didn't help much.

Finally, "Sonic Souls" was good enough for me to keep in my games library, but still isn't perfect. Sorry if I'm not being specific enough on each game, but I have a terrible memory.

Give Sonic Utopia a look. Currently it's only a demo, set in a sandbox testing environment (the final game will have actually structured levels afaik) but it's a pretty good engine. Feels fun to mess around in. 

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Give Sonic Utopia a look. Currently it's only a demo, set in a sandbox testing environment (the final game will have actually structured levels afaik) but it's a pretty good engine. Feels fun to mess around in. 

I have already tried that and loved it, saying that it's how 3D Classic Sonic SHOULD be. But I still shelved it only because it was incomplete.

Incomplete games (DEMOS) are NOT what I'm asking for! As I said, they don't count (until they are complete, of course)!

The sad part about sonic world is the fact that the engine is atleast decent and I feel as though if the dev's stopped making stages with the boost sonic mindset (lots of long corridors with nothing in them filled with easily avoidable enemies and spikes) and started using the strengths (the almost precise movement with some usage of momentum without being hard to control) they could've made it into something great despite having an outdated engine. But no, lets throw in every character under the sun (half of which nobody is going to use) with little variance and stages that almost never take full advantage of the games potential...wow this could actually be a good description of the DBZ tenkaichi series now that I think about it.

4 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

But no, lets throw in every character under the sun (half of which nobody is going to use)

Because the main developer of Sonic World, Ozcrash, claims that his favorite Sonic Characters are:

• All
  • Of
  • Them
  • Chuckle 2

Green Hill Paradise is just one act, but it's the most "Complete" act there is out there, with collectables, secrets, and everything. You could give that a looksee:

Also, Sonic Utopia should be getting an extension past it's tech-demo sometime in the near future, (in a more linear and focused way, though) so be on the lookout for that, if you enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Green Hill Paradise is just one act, but it's the most "Complete" act there is out there, with collectables, secrets, and everything. You could give that a looksee

I did that too! Games with just one act don't count!

I WANT FULL, 100% COMPLETED GAMES, NOT DEMOS OR GAMES WITH ONLY ONE ACT!

Well the only people who have the ability to give you that are those people who bend over backwards to make those "single act" games in the first place, so we can't exactly help you there. Just wait and see if the Utopia devs follow up on their hopes to make a full game out of their demo, as that's the only shot you have at getting that by now.

3 minutes ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

I WANT FULL, 100% COMPLETED GAMES, NOT DEMOS OR GAMES WITH ONLY ONE ACT!

...have you considered maybe that 3D fangaming is actually very difficult, and that's why there isn't many completed ones? I know we have dedicated fangame communities and all but 3D development is in a whole other ballpark - 2D games are much simpler to the point that a single person can be (and sometimes have been) made by a single person, thanks in large part to the fact that there are plenty of free, premade assets and engines to rely on, and 3D games have no such luxury. Even Sonic Robo Blast 2, which was created in fucking Doom Legacy, still has a team behind it and has been in active development since, oh... the late 90s? Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

My point is that it's silly to expect huge 3D projects so readily when the tools and assets just aren't there for it yet, and probably won't be for quite some time. I feel like the closest we've come to a consistent gamemaking tool for 3D sonics is Sonic UDK, and even for that the outcomes have been... mixed, to put it gently.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yelling isn't going to make finished games just appear out of thin air, dude.

I'm really sorry about that. I was just getting sick and tired of you all mentioning fangames that weren't complete.

I feel we're still in the baby stages of 3D fangames and as such it will be helpful and fruitful to be patient. Maybe even join a project and learn the craft of 3D game design and help a project see completion if you're disappointed in the lack of completed 3D fangames. 

We as a community have a glut of 2D fangames that work splendidly but 3D is definitely something that's more nuanced and harder to get right as Sonic is both an imprecise game and a super precise game. This is why translating Genesis Sonic to 3D has been a fairly difficult task but hasn't been impossible, but rather has been a lengthy and maybe frustrating task. This is why you'll see that most 3D Sonic games take on a more arcade twitch reflex in a corridor design to its work. It's frustrating to see them take the easy route but it's not a wrong route to take. It's just easy. Most people still are trying to wrap their head on making 3D games work without glitches ruining the experience or soft locking games. I mean, Ubisoft and Bethesda can't make 3D games without a glut of glitches. Ask anybody. Getting 3D right is hard

I'd say to wait on Utopia, more Green Hill Paradise, or other fan projects. I know there's plenty of people in this community that want to see a Sonic game with a focus on tight but easy to handle 3D platforming with a similar world design to Tony Hawk Downhill Jam and... well... Super Mario Odyssey. 

I certainly feel your frustration. I'd suggest some patience or some willpower to join (and finish) a project. Maybe learn code and programming. (I've been trying to find resources to learn that myself and have been getting into Blender for 3D modeling)

Games are work, hon. It doesn't help that they're also a business. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there anybody out there who actually believes that my recent negative experience with Sonic World is just my fault and that I just need to practice, that's all?! Because I really want to love this game!

If you don't like a game, you don't like a game.  That's all there is to it.

That being said, nothing I've seen from World has exactly impressed me either, but I'm not really too hard on it because it's a fan game and I typically expect fan games to not be very good.  So it's whatever.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Tara said:

I typically expect fan games to not be very good.

No wonder expectations are usually set really high for official games......

1 hour ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

Is there anybody out there who actually believes that my recent negative experience with Sonic World is just my fault and that I just need to practice, that's all?! Because I really want to love this game!

I agree that you need to practice. I play it just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a great concept, but it's stuck as a fan game with some poor level designs, a few bad gameplay mechanics, glitches, and some limited animations. It's still impressive when looked at as a fan game.

I really hope Sega can manage to take inspiration, and make a proper game out of Sonic World. We need a game that gives  us the freedom of Sonic's gameplay from Sonic Adventure, but with the option to play as many playable characters for better replay value. Throw in a hub world and story with cutscenes, and we would have the best 3d Sonic game ever made.

I think Sonic World is the best 3d Sonic fan game ever made, but I really want to see an actual game made out of it, one that doesn't constantly crash, or have very glitchy gameplay and frustrating level layouts.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, avidsonicfan1991 said:

Because the main developer of Sonic World, Ozcrash, claims that his favorite Sonic Characters are:

• All
  • Of
  • Them

Well, he admit he doesn't care for Sticks, unfortunately, and he's against making Orbot, Cubot, and Vanilla playable, yet made the president and GUN Commander playable?!...