Awoo.

New Sonic Forces Promotional Art Revealed

Zippo

If there are other characters "playable", I assume they'll be like in their Generations missions, where they're basically power ups.

• Thumbs Up 9

13 minutes ago, Pawn said:

There's probably a rumour about Marine the Racoon being playable. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I wish that that rumour about <Your Name> being a playable character didn't turn out to be true in the end. 

Although yeah, I agree. These rumours about other playable characters are dumb. If anyone else is to be playable in any capacity, what you'll be looking at it most likely something akin to the way that Tails was "playable" in Unleashed. It was true... just about - he was int he Tornado missions. It would be nice if other characters showed up in the Tag Team stages somehow in Forces. I don't see it happening though. The stage we've seen so far basically let's you switch between Sonic and Your Name. Would they really bother creating playable versions of other characters to take one of those spots in a few levels? Doubtful. At best it would be as Marcello said and like the Generations missions.

The french reviewer pretty much said that you will control the "Sonic companions"

And Tails and Knuckles are getting a lot of focus.

I would wait for TGS to see.

And if they really are playable, I would expect Knuckles to be playable in Modern stages and Tails in Classic stages. Not in Tag Team though.

• Thumbs Up 5

Geez feels like I'm one of the few enjoying the art without going all out for other things...back to topic I hope that's true more the merrier!

12 minutes ago, James Cloud said:

Geez feels like I'm one of the few enjoying the art without going all out for other things...back to topic I hope that's true more the merrier!

THE will reveal all for us XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I would expect them to be playable only in missions akin to the ones in Generations, and by playable, I mean pressing a single button to make them appear and perform a task, then vanish. Woooooh, playable characters.

If we were getting Tails and Knuckles fully controllable in the game, I feel like that would have been advertised earlier on. It's not like it's even that hard to do. Tails was modded into Generations, proper flight and all. I thought it was super impressive at first, and I still think it is, but it made me realize that one person's mod should have taken Sega one hour to make themselves.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, McGroose said:

I would expect them to be playable only in missions akin to the ones in Generations, and by playable, I mean pressing a single button to make them appear and perform a task, then vanish. Woooooh, playable characters.

If we were getting Tails and Knuckles fully controllable in the game, I feel like that would have been advertised earlier on. It's not like it's even that hard to do. Tails was modded into Generations, proper flight and all. I thought it was super impressive at first, and I still think it is, but it made me realize that one person's mod should have taken Sega one hour to make themselves.

I think that could work better if they could be used in any level rather than just designated missions.

• Thumbs Up 3

hypothetical right

What would piss me off a bit more than this game having multiple playable characters in it, and then also being not great. And then the media subsequently blaming those characters for its poor game structure. Is if shadow didn't get to be one of those playable characters, because sega doesn't pay attention the mood and arbitrarily decided that one of its most popular characters in the entire franchise who hasn't been playable in over a decade needs to be a bad guy... because reasons.  

http://nintendoeverything.com/side-characters-are-present-in-sonic-forces-but-wont-be-playable/

Game Informer says they were told that the side characters were not playable in the game.

Still, I find it very interesting that Tails and Knuckles are being so prominently featured in promotional materials. They haven't been on the box art of a main series Sonic game in almost 15 years. In fact, no other mainstays have either, to my knowledge.

Boxart.jpg

4e7kekr7ma7z.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Their prominence in promotional material could be due to Mania. Metal, the only henchman from the Classic era, has also been chosen for the box art over Shadow and the others.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Their prominence in promotional material is could be due to Mania. Metal, the only henchman from the Classic era, has also been chosen for the box art over Shadow and the others.

I too assume this is the power of CORPORATE SYNERGY!

The sheer obnoxiousness of it implies something or other, however. And other characters haven't been on a box of a Sonic Team game since Rivals 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt mania has anything to do with them. If anything it's just popularity of them. Didn't a few years back Japan vote on their favorite characters and metal beat out most

5 hours ago, Joseph Henry said:

The french reviewer pretty much said that you will control the "Sonic companions"

And Tails and Knuckles are getting a lot of focus.

I would wait for TGS to see.

And if they really are playable, I would expect Knuckles to be playable in Modern stages and Tails in Classic stages. Not in Tag Team though.

Which French Reviewer was that? And was there a link?

12 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Which French Reviewer was that? And was there a link?

Look at my post. Page 1.

They're being featured on the box art because it's SEGA's way of fixing the lack if symmetry between the characters. :V

Having Modern Sonic, Classic Sonic, and a random Avatar on the cover, side-by-side, Heroes or Generation's style, wouldn't be half as marketable as the army Vs army angle they're going with.

It looks quite good so I can't blame them for it tbh.

The other reason they're being featured, is because Knuckles is the leader of the resistance, and Tails is likely going to be Classic Sonic's companion through the entire game. They're the most prominent characters in the game story wise, so of course they're going to go with them as the marketing leads, rather than the other NPCs.

• Thumbs Up 2

DJPkq-QU8AA2CfU?format=jpg

Oh, something else I just noticed, If you look at the Team Sonic side of the shirt, you'll notice that there are even more new renders of Tails and Knuckles to come.

Not saying that means the rumor is real in any way, but it's still very interesting how much push Tails and Knuckles are getting. This hasn't happened in a 3D game in ages.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

Classic Sonic can't stop looking like he's much of a intruser here as the OCs.

I can't swallow it, especially because he doesn't fucking talk.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

4e7kekr7ma7z.jpg

Ugh, still need a Switch!

But this reminds me of how off the case design looks. They should've put the Switch logo in a more rounded shape with the red bordering the top like Wii or Wii U, instead of plastering a square in the corner.

You have all this awkward empty space and it kind of just looks like an eyesore on the actual cover art.

Remember, the deconfirmation is from march. This french review is from june.

Maybe they just changed things in three months! Who knows? Maybe they just added Knuckles and Tails playable the same way as Generations mods.

It wouldn't be that hard to make some extra optional missions with them playable on Moderm and Classic stages.

• Thumbs Up 1

If that's the case, then I wonder if the enormously positive reception of Tails and Knuckles' long awaited return to being playable in Mania had an effect on Sonic Team. We know they really liked the drop dash and added it to Forces, so anything is possible.

Additionally, the avatars are just Modern Sonic without the boost and homing attack. They even all have different abilities. Tails and Knuckles wouldn't be that different, at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Additionally, the avatars are just Modern Sonic without the boost and homing attack. They even all have different abilities. Tails and Knuckles wouldn't be that different from them, at all. I don't see why not.

3 minutes ago, Frameratesparkle said:

even hub worlds is possible 

Probably not. Aaron shot that down just last week, I believe.