Awoo.

Emergency Communication From The Resistance Forces

Sky

First Emergency Communication (9/13/2017):

From the official Sonic Japanese channel. A message from Knuckles.

Translation from YouTube comment:

Everyone, can you (hear) this? I'm Knuckles the Echidna, the ___ of Resistance Army. We (need) the power of you all! For that, we need a lot more _____! Anyone is welcome!

Second Emergency Communication (9/15/2017):

Transcription and translation from YouTube comment:

Japanese transcript: みんな、聞こえてるか? 俺はナックルズ・ザ・エキドゥナ。あのエッグマン軍とやりあっている、レジスタンス軍の大隊長だ! 小難しいことは言わねぇ。単刀直入に言う。みんなの力が必要だ! 助けてくれ!  お前らエッグマン軍の横暴を見ただろ? 何が「素晴らしい世界」だ! 冗談じゃねぇ! あいつはただデカくて面白いおもちゃが欲しいだけで、この世界をもてあそんでやがるんだ! 近々俺たちは、あのタマゴ野郎のケツをぶっ飛ばす大作戦を計画中だ! だが、そのためにはもっともっと力がいる! 年齢も経験も関係ねぇ! 気合と根性のあるヤツなら、誰でも大歓迎だ! 活きのいい志願兵をの応募を待ってるぜ! 以上だ!

English translation: Everyone, can you hear this? I am Knuckles the Echidna. The battalion commander of the Resistance Army which is fighting against that Eggman Army! I won't say anything complicated. To be straightforward, we need your power! Please help us! You have seen the tyranny of Eggman Army, right? ''An amazing world"? What a joke! He just wants to have a huge funny toy and play with this world! Soon we will be executing a big plan to kick that egg-bastard's butt! But for that, we need a lot more power! Age or experience don't matter! We welcome anyone with fighting spirits and guts! We are waiting for energetic volunteer soldiers! That's it!

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Knuckles actually being the resistance leader seems incredibly out of character.

Unless that's the reason why they haven't beaten Eggman yet.

That might be the reason.

(Mania spoilers)

Spoiler

After looking on YouTube, the "Love Tester" proposed for Studiopolis Act 2 in Mania appears to be fully functionable. It shows that when playing as Knuckles getting Eggman symbol awards Knuckles with points (for Sonic it does when Amy shows as the other character, for Tails when paired with Sonic).

• Promotion 2

11 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Knuckles actually being the resistance leader seems incredibly out of character.

Unless that's the reason why they haven't beaten Eggman yet.

If Blaze was in the game, she'd be undoubtably suited for that role. Hell, silver makes more sense 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, superman43 said:

That might be the reason.

(Mania spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

After looking on YouTube, the "Love Tester" proposed for Studiopolis Act 2 in Mania appears to be fully functionable. It shows that when playing as Knuckles getting Eggman symbol awards Knuckles with points (for Sonic it does when Amy shows as the other character, for Tails when paired with Sonic).

I'm not saying Knuckles is a traitor or anything, just that he's not really the leader type. And I don't think that unused object is meant to be anything more than a gag.

1 minute ago, Diamond Dragon X said:

Who else would be the leader? Amy?

Tails barely appears and Sonic isn't that serious of a person.

Plenty of other characters would've been more suited for the role. Tails probably would've worked, Rouge has military experience, Vector's got experience as the head of the Chaotix...

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Tails barely appears though. Amy and Knuckles appear both in most levels so far (besides Egg Dragoon).

Tails only appears in the Egg Dragoon boss and the Infinite trailer. He may not appear until later in the game.

Tails barely appears though. Amy and Knuckles appear both in most levels so far (besides Egg Dragoon).

Tails only appears in the Egg Dragoon boss and the Infinite trailer. He may not appear until later in the game.

Just now, Diamond Dragon X said:

Tails barely appears though.

Yes, but they easily could've written the game so that he did, and was leading the resistance. They may very well have a good reason why he hasn't been around much, but that doesn't change that he's more suited to the role than Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as he's been flanderized over the years. Knuckles has still shown to be a responsible person for watching and taking control over things.

Yes, he's gullible and failed his duties a fair amount of times but I don't understand he can't be a good candidate for leader unless we're solely taking his dimwitted/easily fooled side to account.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, I feel like Knuckles being a resistance leader makes some sense, considering that (and I'm probably wrong on this) echidnas were more of a war-type species than any other species. Maybe his characterization is somewhat weird, but I feel like it makes more sense for Knuckles be the leader of the Resistance than any other character (maybe except for arguably Vector or Silver)

20 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Plenty of other characters would've been more suited for the role. Tails probably would've worked, Rouge has military experience, Vector's got experience as the head of the Chaotix...

14 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yes, but they easily could've written the game so that he did, and was leading the resistance. They may very well have a good reason why he hasn't been around much, but that doesn't change that he's more suited to the role than Knuckles.

Tails is a good option, but he never got the option to control anything and I think that no one from the "resistance" would ever appoint Tails as a leader. Basically two "brains" at the top it would be then (Eggman´s army vs. Tails´ resistance).

Rouge and Vector are too much of background characters and even then they are both a bit crazy in all the games they appeared in.

3 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

As much as he's been flanderized over he years. Knuckles has still shown to be a responsible person for watching and taking control over things.

Yes, he's gullible and failed his duties a fair amount but I don't understand he can't be a good candidate for leader unless we're solely taking his dimwitted/easily fooled side to account.

Well, I would be for no-leader resistance instead. Loosely-led resistance by the best known character would be ok.That´s the only thing that Forces could take a loose resemblance to Sonic Heroes. Knuckles as power, strategy... Tails as taking care for the resistance members´ tasks and Sonic being the lead of action.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

As much as he's been flanderized over the years. Knuckles has still shown to be a responsible person for watching and taking control over things.

When? He's supposed to guard the Master Emerald but he let it get stolen in 3&K, smashed in SA, and both in SA2, and that was before he was supposedly flanderized.

2 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

Yes, he's gullible and failed his duties a fair amount of times but I don't understand he can't be a good candidate for leader unless we're solely taking his dimwitted/easily fooled side to account.

On top of being a bit dim he's also a hothead and a loner. I struggle to think of any trait he's got that would make him a good leader.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, you raise a good point Dio.

In another note, I wonder if we'll get an English version of this.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, superman43 said:

Well, I would be for no-leader resistance instead. Loosely-led resistance by the best known character would be ok.That´s the only thing that Forces could take a loose resemblance to Sonic Heroes. Knuckles as power, strategy... Tails as taking care for the resistance members´ tasks and Sonic being the lead of action.

Really? Strategy?

I love Knuckles, but I cannot see strategy being his bag.

3 minutes ago, Pawn said:

Really? Strategy?

I love Knuckles, but I cannot see strategy being his bag.

I wanted to say that he punches like a hell lot into almost everything. And the "That many Death Egg Robos ? Common, seriously." might mean that they have encountered one or two of those and successfully taken them down, but this is just a lot.

So by strategy I mean some useful info how to take them down.

Knuckles is also the type who would proclaim himself the leader, especially in Sonic's absence... shoot he'd probably do it in Sonic's face.

Regardless of how much authority he actually has, the Resistance job in the short term will probably boil down to little more than "Eggman's got some toys in sector B" --> "Go smash them" in which case there are few characters better to fall behind than Knuckles. Its not like he needs some degree of tactical genius to counter Eggman here. If he's already got control of 99% of the planet, then their isn't going to be any kind of organized end-game until Sonic gets back and figures out a solution to this mess. Knux is fully capable of leading a fireteam against Eggy in the meantime.

If strategy or a deft hand is necessary from time to time, its not like he doesn't have experts on his side that could catch his ear. Tails or Rouge wouldn't let him lead a suicide march. I think some of you guys are putting way too much thought into this.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Would be interesting to have a story piece be that Knuckles develops and betters as a leader as the game progresses. At first he's terrible at it, but gradually learns to become a responsible leader for the people. But that would require deep characterization and arcs that lead places, and I don't expect ST to do that 

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually like the fact that they're actually trying to give Knuckles some serious characterization and take back his place in the "big three" trio of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.   Sonic Adventure was the last game where I think he really had a serious role in the story and after that his role slowly dwindled.   Here, he actually has the chance to become a main character again and prove why boys and girls were fighting each other in the street for a plush of him(okay, maybe not that extreme but still...he got his own series that lasted 32 issues Ken Penders not withstanding...).

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

I think this could work. I expect there to be some argument between him and sonic at some point maybe over a tough decision to make during a mission. This could be the chance for sonic team to bring back that rival dynamic they were going for between sonic and knuckles.

Knuckles being chosen as the resistance leader is way out of left field.

The current writers don't understand the Sonic characters at all. I feel like the only character they kind of get right is Eggman, and that's probably just because he's such a hard character to mess up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

See, if it were OVA Knuckles, I could totally see him being all right in a leadership role because OVA Knux is one of his smarter iterations.

Still, I welcome Knuckles being depicted in a more competent light for a change. And being the leader of a resistance doesn't mean you're the brains of it. For all we know, Knux is the one pushing everyone to keep going, while others, such as Tails, are handling the more tactical sides of the team.

• Thumbs Up 3